Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8

11 Oct 2015   #451
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

There are many versions of KB2952664, I have two in my list but it's up to about v16 now. I also have 2 KB3035583 in the list now.
And expect the windows update client updates to be a monthly occurance now. Presumably as they try and improve on all the failures that have occurred upgrading to 10 through WU.
The Media Creation Tool is the preferred option anyway.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Oct 2015   #452
michael diemer

Windows 7 x64 SP1
 
 

Has anybody tried using system restore to get rid of the updates? Take it back to before the damnable GWX installed itself, beginning the madness we now do battle with?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2015   #453
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Has anybody tried using system restore to get rid of the updates? Take it back to before the damnable GWX installed itself, beginning the madness we now do battle with?
From what I've seen, that one is a pain to get rid of. I've never installed it on my main machine as I've always had it hidden. But I've seen some people say it's been a difficult one to get rid of. Best thing to do is keep regular System Images. I tend to roll back using those instead of System Restore these days. I create one before any major WU updates get installed. I keep the last 3 months worth of System images (and one for doing a clean install which I haven't needed yet).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Oct 2015   #454
Hedied4me

64 bit windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
The main ones you need to avoid are KB2990214 and all subsequent Windows update client updates. Those are the updates that download and install 10 through WU. And of course KB3035583 which is the annoying Get Windows 10 app.
When you say all subsequent Windows update client updates, do you mean all numbers higher than 2990214? Otherwise Im not sure I understand.

It ended up being KB3083710, which I uninstalled. However I wont know for sure until another update comes through because I have no more updates right now; which I need an update to see if I get "getting update files" and downloading Windows 10 while trying any update.

EDIT: Brds7t7, can you only create system images to an alternate hard drive or dvdrw? I only ask because it would not allow me to select my main ssd. Will it take more space than a single layer dvdrw; I only have a 250gb ssd.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2015   #455
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hedied4me View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
The main ones you need to avoid are KB2990214 and all subsequent Windows update client updates. Those are the updates that download and install 10 through WU. And of course KB3035583 which is the annoying Get Windows 10 app.
When you say all subsequent Windows update client updates, do you mean all numbers higher than 2990214? Otherwise Im not sure I understand.

It ended up being KB3083710, which I uninstalled. However I wont know for sure until another update comes through because I have no more updates right now; which I need an update to see if I get "getting update files" and downloading Windows 10 while trying any update.

EDIT: Brds7t7, can you only create system images to a alternate hard drive or dvdrw? I only ask because it would not allow me to select my main ssd.
KB3083710 is the latest one. Sorry couldn't remember the number as I'm not at my pc. That one replaces all the previous monthly WU client updates. There will be one every month so keep a look out and if it says Windows update client either hide it or use the Group Policy/Reg entry to stop the upgrade to 10.

It's always better to create a system image on an external drive. If you create it on the same drive as your windows install and the drive dies then you're screwed.
The only option you'll have then is clean install.
It depends on your install and how big you have shadow copy storage set on the backup partition. The larger you set it, the more images it will keep before it starts to delete them.

Edit: Forgot to mention you can always use a 3rd party tool like Macrium Reflect Free. Also does a fantastic job of imaging. And the newer version now has differential images too which is handy if you don't have a lot of space for many full backups.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2015   #456
Hedied4me

64 bit windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hedied4me View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
The main ones you need to avoid are KB2990214 and all subsequent Windows update client updates. Those are the updates that download and install 10 through WU. And of course KB3035583 which is the annoying Get Windows 10 app.
When you say all subsequent Windows update client updates, do you mean all numbers higher than 2990214? Otherwise Im not sure I understand.

It ended up being KB3083710, which I uninstalled. However I wont know for sure until another update comes through because I have no more updates right now; which I need an update to see if I get "getting update files" and downloading Windows 10 while trying any update.

EDIT: Brds7t7, can you only create system images to a alternate hard drive or dvdrw? I only ask because it would not allow me to select my main ssd.
KB3083710 is the latest one. Sorry couldn't remember the number as I'm not at my pc. That one replaces all the previous monthly WU client updates. There will be one every month so keep a look out and if it says Windows update client either hide it or use the Group Policy/Reg entry to stop the upgrade to 10.

It's always better to create a system image on an external drive. If you create it on the same drive as your windows install and the drive dies then you're screwed.
The only option you'll have then is clean install.
It depends on your install and how big you have shadow copy storage set on the backup partition. The larger you set it, the more images it will keep before it starts to delete them.

Edit: Forgot to mention you can always use a 3rd party tool like Macrium Reflect Free. Also does a fantastic job of imaging. And the newer version now has differential images too which is handy if you don't have a lot of space for many full backups.
Sorry if this is OT. Just one last quick question. I downloaded Macrium Reflect Free. Am I right in understanding that I only need to select the option to "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows". Again thank you for your help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2015   #457
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hedied4me View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hedied4me View Post

When you say all subsequent Windows update client updates, do you mean all numbers higher than 2990214? Otherwise Im not sure I understand.

It ended up being KB3083710, which I uninstalled. However I wont know for sure until another update comes through because I have no more updates right now; which I need an update to see if I get "getting update files" and downloading Windows 10 while trying any update.

EDIT: Brds7t7, can you only create system images to a alternate hard drive or dvdrw? I only ask because it would not allow me to select my main ssd.
KB3083710 is the latest one. Sorry couldn't remember the number as I'm not at my pc. That one replaces all the previous monthly WU client updates. There will be one every month so keep a look out and if it says Windows update client either hide it or use the Group Policy/Reg entry to stop the upgrade to 10.

It's always better to create a system image on an external drive. If you create it on the same drive as your windows install and the drive dies then you're screwed.
The only option you'll have then is clean install.
It depends on your install and how big you have shadow copy storage set on the backup partition. The larger you set it, the more images it will keep before it starts to delete them.

Edit: Forgot to mention you can always use a 3rd party tool like Macrium Reflect Free. Also does a fantastic job of imaging. And the newer version now has differential images too which is handy if you don't have a lot of space for many full backups.
Sorry if this is OT. Just one last quick question. I downloaded Macrium Reflect Free. Am I right in understand that I only need to select the option to "Create and image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows". Again thank you for your help
Yes, that's all you need really. I like to have my data on a separate partition from Windows. That way you can keep your images smaller and makes backup/restore a lot quicker.
I then use normal folder to folder copy on the data partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2015   #458
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Wolfgang has a tutorial you may want to look through

Imaging with free Macrium

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2015   #459
kufr

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I found this thread really useful to check and remove most of the patches related to windows 10 upgrade/nagware

Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry - AnandTech Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2015   #460
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kufr View Post
I found this thread really useful to check and remove most of the patches related to windows 10 upgrade/nagware

Updates to hide to prevent Windows 10 Upgrade / Disable Telemetry - AnandTech Forums
That list seems a little OTT if you ask me. They're referencing updates which have nothing to do with Windows 10.
One example is the update which fixes a memory leak in DWM. This clearly has nothing to do with Windows 10.
Some articles seem a little extreme to me. The next thing we'll get is articles telling people not to install Security Updates, which is a bad idea.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Updates - Remove Outdated Updates in Windows 7
How to Remove Outdated Windows Updates Using Disk Cleanup in Windows 7 Microsoft released an update on October 8, 2013 that allows you to remove outdated Windows Updates using Disk Cleanup in Windows 7. This update adds a new plugin to the Disk Cleanup wizard. After you install this update,...
Tutorials
Windows 7 updates same for updates every time it checks for updates
For the past day windows wants to install the same 4 updates over and over, I have windows update set to download and let me choose when to install. I can't understand why I even need them, as I uninstalled net framework. Notice how the update at 8:17 AM., KB2656368, is the same as one of...
Windows Updates & Activation
How do I remove ALL Windows Updates? Repair Install sayMy sys is newer
I know I "can" do this manually for each one listed in Installed Updates via the Programs and Features tool. but that will take forever. I'm looking for a quicker automated way to uninstall all updates. Before you ask why i want to do such a thing - I am trying to do an In Place repair...
Windows Updates & Activation
Reinstalled Windows 7 upgrade to remove keylogger eBlaster
An ex-girlfriend remotely installed the keylogger eBlaster which is made by SpectorSoft. After research, I decided to reinstall my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit upgrade disc. I booted from the DVD drive and arrived at a screen that showed two partitions: recovery and the existing W7 files. I...
Windows Updates & Activation
NETIO.SYS BSOD Windows updates + Remove XP Pro Boot
Hi Another BSOD with W7x86 upgrade from XP to W7 Home/Family edition. Recently installed the update over exisiting XP Pro which I was going to reinstall all going fine. Updated all W7 files and drivers, Windows7 installed. Installed few minor apps everything ok. Installed MS Office 2007...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App