Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8

07 May 2016   #961
OvenMaster

Win7 Pro 32bit; Zorin OS 9 Core (in VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
I am seriously considering not updating Windows until after July 29, now, just to avoid problems.
If I do ever upgrade, it won't be within this free upgrade period. It'll be when I'm good and ready to. My systems run fine with 7 on. This "free" offer has done nothing to entice me on to Windows 10 yet, in fact it's put me off it a little with the way they've been ramming it down our throats.
If I want it in future, I'll go and buy retail versions, as I did with Windows 7. And if I still don't find it appealing then I'll switch to something else. 2020 is a few years away yet and I'm sure, by that time, there will be other options to consider. Windows 10 might even be something that appeals to me more as it develops over time. But as it stands now, I'm just not interested.
Exactly right. If I want a copy of an OS badly enough, I'll pay for it.
What I should have said, however, was, "I am seriously considering not running Windows Update until after July 29, just to avoid problems."


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 May 2016   #962
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Sorry OvenMaster, I thought you meant upgrading.
I've turned off WU now anyway. Not because the updates particularly worry me, I just avoid the ones I don't feel are necessary, but because of the way Windows update fails to work a lot of the time lately. I just manually download the security updates and skip the rest, unless it's designed to fix crashes, problems. Most of the recommended updates of late don't appear to be adding anything of benefit.
My system has been running fine and I have no problem spending 10 minutes a month downloading and installing the security updates manually.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2016   #963
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Yep looks like the only place to get them soon enough
Microsoft change location of some security updates May Patch Tuesday
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 May 2016   #964
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Yep looks like the only place to get them soon enough
Microsoft change location of some security updates May Patch Tuesday
MS making things easier for people as always!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2016   #965
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Yep at least you're used to it now
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2016   #966
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

I just hope they don't stop manual updates altogether! I think that's highly unlikely though. While I use WU in my VM's (when it works) for testing, I don't use it on my main systems.
So manual update files are a big help for me at the moment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2016   #967
jadinolf

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
I just hope they don't stop manual updates altogether! I think that's highly unlikely though. While I use WU in my VM's (when it works) for testing, I don't use it on my main systems.
So manual update files are a big help for me at the moment.
Manual updates have been a lifesaver for me.

I have had updates fail to install so many times. When I go to manual updates they install every time.

Therefore MS will stop them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2016   #968
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

[/QUOTE]Therefore MS will stop them.[/QUOTE]

you say that with a lack of faith? Oh wait... Yeah this is MS we're talking about!

Buggered up your quote there! Oops!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2016   #969
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
I am seriously considering not updating Windows until after July 29, now, just to avoid problems.
If I do ever upgrade, it won't be within this free upgrade period. It'll be when I'm good and ready to. My systems run fine with 7 on. This "free" offer has done nothing to entice me on to Windows 10 yet, in fact it's put me off it a little with the way they've been ramming it down our throats.
If I want it in future, I'll go and buy retail versions, as I did with Windows 7. And if I still don't find it appealing then I'll switch to something else. 2020 is a few years away yet and I'm sure, by that time, there will be other options to consider. Windows 10 might even be something that appeals to me more as it develops over time. But as it stands now, I'm just not interested.

Backup your windows 7 install, upgrade to 10, make sure it activates, restore windows 7 from an image backup then you are set, when ready do a clean install or upgrade at any time This way your system will always have some type of entitlement.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2016   #970
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

I was considering doing this a few months ago, but after much thought I decided that there isn't much point me doing that really. By the time (if ever) I do decide to upgrade, I'll have upgraded to new system/hardware by then. I'm happy just to buy a boxed product I can transfer whenever I like, if that's the case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Updates - Remove Outdated Updates in Windows 7
How to Remove Outdated Windows Updates Using Disk Cleanup in Windows 7 Microsoft released an update on October 8, 2013 that allows you to remove outdated Windows Updates using Disk Cleanup in Windows 7. This update adds a new plugin to the Disk Cleanup wizard. After you install this update,...
Tutorials
Windows 7 updates same for updates every time it checks for updates
For the past day windows wants to install the same 4 updates over and over, I have windows update set to download and let me choose when to install. I can't understand why I even need them, as I uninstalled net framework. Notice how the update at 8:17 AM., KB2656368, is the same as one of...
Windows Updates & Activation
How do I remove ALL Windows Updates? Repair Install sayMy sys is newer
I know I "can" do this manually for each one listed in Installed Updates via the Programs and Features tool. but that will take forever. I'm looking for a quicker automated way to uninstall all updates. Before you ask why i want to do such a thing - I am trying to do an In Place repair...
Windows Updates & Activation
Reinstalled Windows 7 upgrade to remove keylogger eBlaster
An ex-girlfriend remotely installed the keylogger eBlaster which is made by SpectorSoft. After research, I decided to reinstall my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit upgrade disc. I booted from the DVD drive and arrived at a screen that showed two partitions: recovery and the existing W7 files. I...
Windows Updates & Activation
NETIO.SYS BSOD Windows updates + Remove XP Pro Boot
Hi Another BSOD with W7x86 upgrade from XP to W7 Home/Family edition. Recently installed the update over exisiting XP Pro which I was going to reinstall all going fine. Updated all W7 files and drivers, Windows7 installed. Installed few minor apps everything ok. Installed MS Office 2007...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App