Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Server 2008 R2 update and SFC problem

30 Apr 2015   #11
nimanouri

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks
I will consider this advice.
Regards


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Apr 2015   #12
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

No problem, let us know if you face any further issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2015   #13
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

I don't know how RHEL Distros set up dual boot.

I've never had an issue dual booting W7 and Linux Mint.
I used to have a triple boot setup (XP, W7 and LM) and that worked without issues, until I installed a 3TB HDD.

I always install Linux after Windows and use GRUB.
I don't have the 100MB System Reserved partition though.

That said, I have seen threads where people reported issues and (IIRC) they all had the 100MB System Reserved partition on their PCs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 May 2015   #14
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
I don't know how RHEL Distros set up dual boot.

I've never had an issue dual booting W7 and Linux Mint.
I used to have a triple boot setup (XP, W7 and LM) and that worked without issues, until I installed a 3TB HDD.

I always install Linux after Windows and use GRUB.
I don't have the 100MB System Reserved partition though.

That said, I have seen threads where people reported issues and (IIRC) they all had the 100MB System Reserved partition on their PCs.
Out of 100, 99.9% users have the 100 MB System Reserved partition. Some exceptional geeks like you can avoid it during installation, and sometimes some noobs somehow manage to do it, where even they are not sure how they achieved it. And that is why such an exceptional situation cannot be a general instruction.

Dont let GRUB have the control over windows installation. When you have both the OSs installed in two different HDDs, you never need a dual boot for anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2015   #15
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

There is a way to dual boot both. The System Reserve could be the issue. It may be seeing to many partitions. My setup is a little different, I don't how similar windows 7 is to a windows server.

I was able install windows 7 without the system reserve partition. Grub2 shouldn't cause problems with windows update. The only time Grub2 caused me a problem, was when windows 10 was updating to the next build, for some reason windows can't not write an updated MBR and track 0 partition so the install fails and reverts back. Since, I have some know how, I was able to workaround that issue. I also had a triple boot system Windows 7, 10 and Lubuntu


nimanouri

How technically are you? There might be a way. This will require you to delete the Redhat partitions and reinstalling them you will lose anything on that disk. It will take me sometime to post how I did my windows 7 & xubuntu partitions. I only have one disk.



lehnerus2000
Quote:
I used to have a triple boot setup (XP, W7 and LM) and that worked without issues, until I installed a 3TB HDD.
Try re-installing Linux (You will lose your data though) all in logical partitions. W7 Primary Partition 1, Windows 10 Primary Partition 2 , Linux Mint Logical, Linux swap partition also logical. For anyone else reading this is not the complete details on how to do this and it may not work for your system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2015   #16
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Out of 100, 99.9% users have the 100 MB System Reserved partition. Some exceptional geeks like you can avoid it during installation, and sometimes some noobs somehow manage to do it, where even they are not sure how they achieved it. And that is why such an exceptional situation cannot be a general instruction.
It seems to be related to having an Active partition, before installing W7 (not sure if it still works with W8 & W10)
It's actually easier to do with a triple boot setup (XP, W7 & Linux) than by tinkering.
Installing XP, then W7 and then Linux does it automatically.

That said, I'm not sure how W2K8 would respond.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Dont let GRUB have the control over windows installation. When you have both the OSs installed in two different HDDs, you never need a dual boot for anything.
GRUB only calls the Windows boot loader (at least that's how it's worked for me since 2009).

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post
lehnerus2000
Quote:
I used to have a triple boot setup (XP, W7 and LM) and that worked without issues, until I installed a 3TB HDD.
Try re-installing Linux (You will lose your data though) all in logical partitions. W7 Primary Partition 1, Windows 10 Primary Partition 2 , Linux Mint Logical, Linux swap partition also logical. For anyone else reading this is not the complete details on how to do this and it may not work for your system.
The issues were:
  • I only had XP 32 bit (it couldn't cope with >2 TB)
  • My motherboard SATA driver (for Windows) couldn't cope either (the default W7 driver works OK though).
Linux Mint had no issues with the 3TB HDD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Server 2008 R2 update and SFC problem




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
setting up a server for school help (windows server 2008)
As my final project for the year i am setting up a server that we will eventually move all our computers on to. I am using a poweredge 2900 as a server with windows server 2008 installed. As of now i have 2 computers connected to the domain which they can log on to. - what i need help with -...
Network & Sharing
Error Code 80073712--Windows Server 2008 update
Windows Server 2008 update error- code 80073712 Please someone help with this error
Chillout Room
Help choose: Windows Home Server 2011 vs. Windows Server 2008 R2
I have a file server at home with a Quad core, 4gb ram, and a 3tb of storage. It is running Ubuntu Desktop and sharing video files primarily. From my school I have access to a free copy of Windows Server 2008 R2. Other than the server I have 2 Windows 7 desktops, 1 Windows 7 laptop and 1 Windows...
Software
Windows 2008 Server or Linux for server
Hi all Have been a LONG LONG user of Linux as a server (hosting VM's XP / W7 mix) and file / print sharing. I used to avoid MS like the plague as far as SERVER environments are concerned - probably because my first experince was Windows NT (Windows NeanderThal or Windows No Thanks) which was...
Network & Sharing
Windows home server vs Server 2008 R2
I'm trying to decide between Windows Home Server and Windows Server 2008 R2 for my home server PC. Ordinarily it would be a clear cut choice, but I've got a free copy of Server 2008 R2 through my academic MSDN subscription. I'd like to avoid spending extra money if Server 2008 R2 would do the job....
Software
windows server 2008 rc
i want to know difference between win server 2008 and win7 that oly i want to know
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App