Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Microsoft is playing dirty pool

19 May 2015   #11
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
I could care less if MS made updates automatic, as long as it didn`t mess up your machine.
What are the chances of that?

I've noticed that a lot of PC enthusiasts avoid automatic OS updates (I've always used the "Notify" option).

We're lucky, because as users of a pre-W10 version of Windows, we can control what happens on our PC
At least it seems that way ... mostly ... some of the time.

Some versions of W10 might not have the ability to control updates.
Those users will be completely at the mercy of the MS "Patch Division".


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 May 2015   #12
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Avoiding SFC

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
But how would you know if you have a bad system file unless you run sfc ?
Well I don't avoid SFC entirely so perhaps I'd better explain. If I want to check I'll use the verify only option. The other thing is that if I ever get an error message about missing or corrupt files I'll replace them myself. I certainly don't allow SFC to carry out repairs.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
I have KB2990214 and KB KB3021917 installed, they seem to cause no issues, unless they are one of the Windows 10 nag me updates.

Found the 1st.

KB2990214 - Microsoft Support
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990214
Microsoft Corporation
Describes an update that enables you to upgrade your computer from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows.
I prefer to install the update(s) as and when I wish to upgrade.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
And the 2nd.

KB3021917
This update performs diagnostics in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) in order to determine whether performance issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. Telemetry is sent back to Microsoft for those computers that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). This update will help Microsoft and its partners deliver better system performance for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.
Personally I leave Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) off. I don't like that my security software is telling me that GWX ConfigManager wants to connect to the internet so I'll keep it off my machine until I actually need it!

That's just my own preference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2015   #13
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

I uninstalled those last 2, added em to the list, I have no intention of changing (not gonna use the word upgrade) this box to 10.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 May 2015   #14
4wd

W7, W8.1
 
 

^^^
Quote:
have no intention of changing (not gonna use the word upgrade) this box to 10.
Ditto. Ditched all these kb's, will maybe look into it at end of w7 support 14. january 2020, if this laptop (or me) is still alive :O)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2015   #15
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Did it come back as a different numbered update, because I just checked and that number you gave is still hidden.

My list of hidden.

KB2876229 SKYPE

KB2647753
KB2732487
KB2923545
KB2970228
KB2977728
KB2978092
KB2994023
KB3022345
KB3035583
KB2990214
KB3021917

Just ran windows update, no updates to install right now.

Just ran SFC came up 100% perfect
Thanks for sharing your list and i might check some for myself of those article IDs you listed, my actual is

KB3022345
KB3035583
KB2990214
KB3021917
KB2952664

There wasn't the last one in your list....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2015   #16
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Re: KB2990214

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Did it come back as a different numbered update, because I just checked and that number you gave is still hidden.

My list of hidden.

KB2876229 SKYPE

KB2647753
KB2732487
KB2923545
KB2970228
KB2977728
KB2978092
KB2994023
KB3022345
KB3035583
KB2990214
KB3021917

Just ran windows update, no updates to install right now.

Just ran SFC came up 100% perfect
Thanks for sharing your list and i might check some for myself of those article IDs you listed, my actual is

KB3022345
KB3035583
KB2990214
KB3021917
KB2952664

There wasn't the last one in your list....
Re: KB2990214.

Information suggests that it should be installed and that you can't skip it.

See the post here:

Installing KB2990214 also installs the latest Windows Update Agent.

For now - I'm keeping it off my machine. If you want to check which version of Windows Update Agent is installed you can right click on this file and check the version.

C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll

Mine reads 7.6.7600.230 (not the latest version)

Should have read 7.6.7600.320
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2015   #17
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Did it come back as a different numbered update, because I just checked and that number you gave is still hidden.

My list of hidden.

KB2876229 SKYPE

KB2647753
KB2732487
KB2923545
KB2970228
KB2977728
KB2978092
KB2994023
KB3022345
KB3035583
KB2990214
KB3021917

Just ran windows update, no updates to install right now.

Just ran SFC came up 100% perfect
Thanks for sharing your list and i might check some for myself of those article IDs you listed, my actual is

KB3022345
KB3035583
KB2990214
KB3021917
KB2952664

There wasn't the last one in your list....
Re: KB2990214.

Information suggests that it should be installed and that you can't skip it.

See the post here:

Installing KB2990214 also installs the latest Windows Update Agent.

For now - I'm keeping it off my machine. If you want to check which version of Windows Update Agent is installed you can right click on this file and check the version.

C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll

Mine reads 7.6.7600.230 (not the latest version)
Thanks Callender,

I was first talking about KB2952664 but having read your post too about KB2990214.

I do not have any issue with Windows Update Agent (svchost.exe netsvcs) because i have skipped/hidden the update before it got installed, so its like my machine just have the regular WU Agent.

If stand alone does exit at some point i'll use it. If not, i'll be considering install that KB2990214.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2015   #18
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
For now - I'm keeping it off my machine. If you want to check which version of Windows Update Agent is installed you can right click on this file and check the version.

C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll

Mine reads 7.6.7600.230 (not the latest version)
I can guarantee that it doesn't read that!
the actual version number is 7.6.7600.320
... unless you have some strange version of Windows installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2015   #19
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Windows Update Agent - version

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
For now - I'm keeping it off my machine. If you want to check which version of Windows Update Agent is installed you can right click on this file and check the version.

C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll

Mine reads 7.6.7600.230 (not the latest version)
I can guarantee that it doesn't read that!
the actual version number is 7.6.7600.320
... unless you have some strange version of Windows installed.
Just checked and of course you are %100 correct Noel! Maybe I need an eye test....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 May 2015   #20
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

This is what it says for Update KB2952664

So, it`s not getting installed, I`ll add it to the list.

This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Microsoft is playing dirty pool




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD on Steam Update, Bad Pool Caller or Bad Pool Header, no dmp files
Good day all, I hope someone can help me with a consistent BSOD problem I've had today. Every time my Steam client starts up and attempts to download its latest update, I get a BSOD with a Bad Pool Caller (one time out of about a dozen crashes it was Bad Pool Header instead). I have tried the...
BSOD Help and Support
Dirty bit is set
I cannot defrag C:, nor can I perform a chkdsk C: /f on start up. I get dirty bit is set on the volume (0x89000015). I'm not sure what to check or what my next step should be. I hnave booted from my win 7 disc and did a repair but it did not help.
Performance & Maintenance
DIRTY emails
Why am I getting "dirty" emails on OUTLOOK.com:
Browsers & Mail
BSOD Playing World of Tanks "Bad Pool Header"
Playing world of tanks I had a BSOD that said "Bad Pool Header" then of course a bunch of stuff that means nothing to me... I have downloaded the SF Diag tool and will attack the zip with my dumps/diag info here... As a Side note... the BSOD does the memory dump then supposedly "restarts" the...
BSOD Help and Support
I feel a little bit dirty but need your help !
Ok I confess I'm a AMD guy, but I've ordered my first Intel mobo at a crazy discount ....which is how I do this hobby and why I've leaned strongly towards AMD for so long. So I bought the MSI P67A-GD80 (b3) see link: MSI USA ? Mainboard - P67A-GD80 (B3) Now I'm shopping for ram and the CPU. Of...
Hardware & Devices
The Dirty thread...
Just take a look at this... :shock:
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App