Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Update Hangs on checking for updates

21 Oct 2015   #1
ThomasHoey8

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 
Windows Update Hangs on checking for updates

Hi forum

I'm running windows 7 pro N with service pack 1 32 bit, I have just done a clean install of the OS but when I search for updates it just hangs on checking for updates. I have attached a image Windows Update Hangs on checking for updates-untitled.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Oct 2015   #2
techtitan100

Windows 7 Pro 64bit
 
 

Usually after a fresh install, it takes a little while to search for updates because there are so many of them, the last time I did a fresh install on my operating system which was about 6 months ago and installed Office 2010 right afterwards I ended up with 229 updates in total and most of the time after you install all of those and check again, more will pop up so you have to install everybody until it says Windows is up to date
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2015   #3
ThomasHoey8

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by techtitan100 View Post
Usually after a fresh install, it takes a little while to search for updates because there are so many of them, the last time I did a fresh install on my operating system which was about 6 months ago and installed Office 2010 right afterwards I ended up with 229 updates in total and most of the time after you install all of those and check again, more will pop up so you have to install everybody until it says Windows is up to date
I left it running all through the night and still nothing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Oct 2015   #4
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

I have seen posts stating that it needed to run 20+ hours.

You can reset Windows Update via these steps...
Windows Update - Reset
...then manually install this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083324
...and try the scan for updates again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2015   #5
ThomasHoey8

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
I have seen posts stating that it needed to run 20+ hours.

You can reset Windows Update via these steps...
Windows Update - Reset
...then manually install this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083324
...and try the scan for updates again.
I will give these steps a try and get back to you thank you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2015   #6
ThomasHoey8

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
I have seen posts stating that it needed to run 20+ hours.

You can reset Windows Update via these steps...
Windows Update - Reset
...then manually install this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083324
...and try the scan for updates again.
I have tried both options to no avail how do I upload my windowsupdate.log file says its to big as txt docs only 1MB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2015   #7
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

1. When you are in the search or download part of Windows 7 Updates do nothing else on the computer. It could take from 5 hours to 20 hours plus, to search and download all those 200 plus updates.

2. The green bar going from left to right means nothing. If you can watch the blinking light on your modem or router. It will let you know when the download has started and the green bar on your screen still might not move.

3. This is how it goes if your system doesn't have any other problems.

4. Believe me we know the time it takes. We been there and done that. We have answered many post with people having the same problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2015   #8
ThomasHoey8

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
1. When you are in the search or download part of Windows 7 Updates do nothing else on the computer. It could take from 5 hours to 20 hours plus, to search and download all those 200 plus updates.

2. The green bar going from left to right means nothing. If you can watch the blinking light on your modem or router. It will let you know when the download has started and the green bar on your screen still might not move.

3. This is how it goes if your system doesn't have any other problems.

4. Believe me we know the time it takes. We been there and done that. We have answered many post with people having the same problem.
Hi layback bear

thanks for your interest. I ran the update for a full 24 hours and nothing. The green bar is moving that was just a screenshot to show how it is. when I disconnect from the network Im on it still checks for updates and no error even though im not connected to network
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2015   #9
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Try rebooting and checking again.

What do you mean by this?

Quote:
when I disconnect from the network
What network are you referring to?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2015   #10
ThomasHoey8

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Try rebooting and checking again.

What do you mean by this?

Quote:
when I disconnect from the network
What network are you referring to?
I have rebooted and tried the FixIt from Microsoft found and fixed issues but still hangs.

I just meant my internet connection when I said network (my bad wrong word used)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Update Hangs on checking for updates




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Update Keeps checking For updates forever
Hi, i have windows 7 64 bit sp1, and when i check for updates it checks for updates with no results. I have let it run overnight and still nothing. It says checking for updates with the green line going back and forth, but never gets any results. Can someone help me with this it is very frustrating.
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update Hangs at "Checking for Updates"
Good morning, I just registered, so I'm not entirely sure how this forum runs. I'm assuming you can see my computer information in my user profile, but please let me know if you need me to post it here again. When I run Windows Update, it hangs permanently on "Checking for Updates." No error...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update stuck at Checking for updates?
I have a Toshiba T235D-S1340 running Windows 7 Home Premium version 6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601 currently on my bench, trying to work out extreme slow-downs for a friend. While I have seemed to have solved the slow-down issues, when running Windows Update, it seems to just spin it's wheels...
Performance & Maintenance
fresh install of windows 7 - hangs on checking for updates
Hello, I have a Toshiba laptop that will not do Windows updates. It just hangs on checking for updates. Here's what I have done. completely wiped and reformatted hard drive fresh install of of 2 different versions of windows 7 - Home premium - what the laptop came with, and Win 7 starter...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update checking for updates issue
Hi, I would be grateful for any advice or help with the following issue I am having with this laptop. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Samsung RV510 I noticed Windows Update was getting stuck on Checking for updates and tried to troubleshoot the issue. (WindowsUpdateDiagnostic, KB947821,...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows checking for update hangs
Hello everyone, Yesterday I wanted to clean install windows 7. (This because I have a problem getting the Windows 10 notification app, but that's a different story) So after installing Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit (official version) I ran some automatically updates. Several of them...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:18.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App