Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Last round of updates stuff up again

25 Jan 2016   #31
Urthboundmisfit

Win 10 Pro x64, Win 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
KB2952664 is a Optional update for me :/
It will show as "optional" if you have Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates unchecked, or as "important" if checked... either way MS rates it as "recommended"

Attachment 380499


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jan 2016   #32
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I have KB2952664 installed and sfc is fine. But I fail to see where the discussion is heading. KB2952664 has nothing to do with the fact that KB3121461 causes non repairable system file corruption for some users. I don't know how many users it affects. I would at least rate it "User Beware".
I'm alerting other users that it could be a problem for them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2016   #33
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Most people have been doing the same thing about KB2952664 saying unless you actually want to upgrade to win-10 it's unnecessary along with all the other win-10 related updates
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jan 2016   #34
Urthboundmisfit

Win 10 Pro x64, Win 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Most people have been doing the same thing about KB2952664 saying unless you actually want to upgrade to win-10 it's unnecessary along with all the other win-10 related updates
Exactly. KB3121461 won't even be offered unless you have KB2952664 installed in the first place. If you're not upgrading to 10, why have 2952664 installed at all?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2016   #35
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Urthboundmisfit View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Most people have been doing the same thing about KB2952664 saying unless you actually want to upgrade to win-10 it's unnecessary along with all the other win-10 related updates
Exactly. KB3121461 won't even be offered unless you have KB2952664 installed in the first place. If you're not upgrading to 10, why have 2952664 installed at all?
Because I don't want to research every update stated as important to a Windows 7 user and I shouldn't need to. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands who wants to do this. Certainly not your average user.
Dragging it out in case I haven't made my point . MS Windows update supplied an update to a Windows 7 OS and declared it as important. It doesn't matter if it is associated with the potential to upgrade to Windows 10 in the future it should NOT corrupt system files.
(Upgrading to Windows 10 is probably inevitable anyway in 4 years).

MS define:
"Updates are classified as Important, Recommended, Optional, and Featured. Here's what they mean:
  • Important updates offer significant benefits, such as improved security, privacy, and reliability. They should be installed as they become available, and can be installed automatically with Windows Update.
  • Recommended updates address non-critical problems or help enhance your computing experience. While these updates do not address fundamental issues with your computer or Windows software, they can offer meaningful improvements. These can be installed automatically.
  • Optional updates can include updates, drivers, or new software from Microsoft to enhance your computing experience. You can only install these manually."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2016   #36
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Interesting point of view,
With that in mind how many others do you have installed ?
Attachment 380505

And if no more than KB2952664 why not ?

In for a penny = in for a pound
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2016   #37
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Interesting point of view,
With that in mind how many others do you have installed ?
Attachment 380505

And if no more than KB2952664 why not ?

In for a penny = in for a pound
Interesting point of view
I'd like to say your point of view is interesting but I can't because I don't understand what your point is.

Repeat: I decided to just install important updates some time ago because they are stated as IMPORTANT by MS mainly because of potential security issues. An important update should not be dependent on either a recommended or optional update. I have many recommended but not all. What's "interesting" about that point of view? It seems logical to me and I'm sure there are others would have the same "interesting" point of view.

BTW I don't have KB3013531, 3021917, 3068708 installed. Why because they must not have been important.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Last round of updates stuff up again




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Questions about stuff that require updates
Hi, so it's been a while since I last updated anything manually, I'm not sure if my laptop updates some of the stuff automatically cause back then when I had problems running Guild Wars 2 it turned out that I just needed to update a graphic driver I think? I'm not sure as I'm not really familiar...
General Discussion
Round 2
I found a stick of bad ram.I removed it and started verifier.Almost immediately I started getting BSOD.While watching I noticed asio.sys kept coming up.It is associated with an aSUS utility.I removed all ASUS utilities and all traces.Verifier ram 6+days without a BSOD.Then i had one.I queried...
BSOD Help and Support
bsod round 2
Windows 7 . . . - x64 ? - original installed OS on the system - an OEM - OEM purchased it from retailer - 1 year old - Reinstalled a week ago
BSOD Help and Support
PC1 can see PC2 but not other way round.
Hello, I have 4 computers connected to Linksys WRT54GL router. All are on Win7 64bit. Problem is that 2 laptops can be accessed by all 4 laptops on the network, BUT there are 2 laptops that cannot be accessed. Which means, PC3 and PC4 can see files from PC1 & PC2 but not vice-versa. I tried...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Round Taskbar
Hi, I have seen in some websites the round taskbar of windows instead of a strip. Can you tell me how to get it? Where this type of theme is available? I have downloaded one but I can't get success. Please reply.... Pranav
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App