Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Once and for all...'Important/Critical' updates ?

25 Jan 2016   #11
Painter

W7Pro/64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gizmo78 View Post
Thanks, Painter. Yes, I'd have liked to hear from those with experience on the subject. I might point out to you [maybe others], Invincea bought Sandboxie from it's Israeli author, who designed it. S/B is an installed program which 'clones' program files from the installed C Drive folder(s) themselves to the sandbox folder, where the forced program, ANY forced program, in clone form, operates. This is not a 'plug' for S/B, just an explanation for why I don't fear 'zero day' stuff. My Son-in-Law professionally uses a far more complicated and 'vendor regulated' V/M, but I don't know a thing about it or any of the others.

We shall see... T'anks Ag'in
Yes, SBIE is an excellent product and I have used it for years. i never browse without it (I have it forced in FF). Great for isolating USBs too. It might be a good idea if you considered EMET as an extra layer of protection when you turn off WU. It is not complicated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jan 2016   #12
gizmo78

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

"G" and Painter: Nope, not the least bit paranoid, but SECURITY is the only thing that I find real interest in...and in which a darned sparse 'software' background hampers me. Thus...here I am on this Forum! "G", your posting is exactly the type of info I've been looking for...and I get some of it.

I was initially impressed by listening to an interview with Ronen Tzur, and I 'took the bait' for Sandboxie, hook, line and sinker.

After my last reformat of a WIN7 computer with a pretty decent i7 processor, taking almost three hours to do the Download Dance, I asked WHY? Been chasing it ever since.... [Obviously I have too much time. Don't play in traffic and YOU will get here too]

Giz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2016   #13
G Force

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gizmo78 View Post
"G" and Painter: Nope, not the least bit paranoid, but SECURITY is the only thing that I find real interest in...and in which a darned sparse 'software' background hampers me. Thus...here I am on this Forum! "G", your posting is exactly the type of info I've been looking for...and I get some of it.

I was initially impressed by listening to an interview with Ronen Tzur, and I 'took the bait' for Sandboxie, hook, line and sinker.

After my last reformat of a WIN7 computer with a pretty decent i7 processor, taking almost three hours to do the Download Dance, I asked WHY? Been chasing it ever since.... [Obviously I have too much time. Don't play in traffic and YOU will get here too]

Giz
Yes. Windows Update is important. If you are worried about Microsoft's telemetry and surveillance, I would introduce to you a utility known as "DWS", one of my favorite tools among the one I just learned about with GWX Control Panel, and I have a large batch script I have compiled to attack the GWX module and prevent GWX from affecting Windows 7 - among other telemetry updates to be removed as well. Do you think it's worth making a thread to share?

Destroy Windows Spying - Windows spying removal tool

It contains a list of Telemetry suspected updates, settings, tasks and whatnot that Windows does not require, and surveillance setting removal which is all configurable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jan 2016   #14
gizmo78

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

"Do you think it's worth making a thread to share? " Boy, you got me! From what I've picked up on Windows Weekly it sounds like the telemetry/surveilance stuff is a WIN TEN issue; at least that's how I heard it.

GWX hasn't bothered ME yet as I manually got my updates and LOOKED at each; none saying a word about WIN10 [yet]. My Sister HAS collected the little icon, but I told her to JUST DON'T CLICK ON THE $$$$$$$ THING. I think if it ever sneaked by me, that's what I would do....but now, on THIS computer, ain't none of that jazz coming in!

So far I haven't felt a lack of anything..........

Giz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2016   #15
G Force

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gizmo78 View Post
"Do you think it's worth making a thread to share? " Boy, you got me! From what I've picked up on Windows Weekly it sounds like the telemetry/surveilance stuff is a WIN TEN issue; at least that's how I heard it.

GWX hasn't bothered ME yet as I manually got my updates and LOOKED at each; none saying a word about WIN10 [yet]. My Sister HAS collected the little icon, but I told her to JUST DON'T CLICK ON THE $$$$$$$ THING. I think if it ever sneaked by me, that's what I would do....but now, on THIS computer, ain't none of that jazz coming in!

So far I haven't felt a lack of anything..........

Giz
You're gravely mistaken. Microsoft has attempted to survey Windows 7 users as well, I'm surprised you had not known about it.



That's my anti-surveillance toolbox, and it gives Windows a ever so slight performance boost which is normal.

Keep it on manual update, Google up each update, and make sure the hotfixes are hotfixes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2016   #16
gizmo78

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

'Can't argue with that, "G". Wow. Oh, well, it does say, "Destroy Windows 10 Spying" in the KB table you show.

I'm afraid 'DWS' is over my head...sorry

Nope; nobody ever surveyed me. Maybe that is for guys that buy the O.S., not OEM on a factory computer?

Giz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2016   #17
G Force

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gizmo78 View Post
'Can't argue with that, "G". Wow. Oh, well, it does say, "Destroy Windows 10 Spying" in the KB table you show.

I'm afraid 'DWS' is over my head...sorry

Nope; nobody ever surveyed me. Maybe that is for guys that buy the O.S., not OEM on a factory computer?

Giz
Well then it seems that I am the paranoid one. I will go and make a thread on Removing Windows Surveillance from your system, including GWX. I'm pretty sure people would be interested on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2016   #18
gizmo78

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

THANKS FOR **ALL** THE INPUTS. Indeed this Forum WAS more productive than others, on this topic.

Best to All....

Giz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2016   #19
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
To date there has only been 1 Important update associated to win-10 and that was KB3112343
Everything else has been classified as recommended which might show up in the Important section if the windows updates setting box is checked to allow recommended updates to be installed the same way as Important updates.

Otherwise everything win-10 related even the telemetry ones would of been placed in the Optional section.
So ignoring all updates is a pretty wild and not at all recommended no pun intended
Important/ critical ones should of course be researched but should be installed eventually
The only one I've hid is the one I posted earlier because there is nothing to monitor if I never intent to upgrade to 10 on the machines
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2016   #20
Benteke

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
To date there has only been 1 Important update associated to win-10 and that was KB3112343
Everything else has been classified as recommended which might show up in the Important section if the windows updates setting box is checked to allow recommended updates to be installed the same way as Important updates.

Otherwise everything win-10 related even the telemetry ones would of been placed in the Optional section.
So ignoring all updates is a pretty wild and not at all recommended no pun intended
Important/ critical ones should of course be researched but should be installed eventually
The only one I've hid is the one I posted earlier because there is nothing to monitor if I never intent to upgrade to 10 on the machines
Hmmm... Interesting... I was just about to ask about this very topic. If the "receive recommended updates the same as important" box is unchecked, the 'recommended' & optional updates get lumped together under optional updates. But when the above box IS checked, the 'recommended' updates show up under important updates. So, are any of the 'recommended' updates actually important, regarding system security, or not?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Once and for all...'Important/Critical' updates ?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Updates - important/recommended etc.
When I see the Windows Updates listing there's a tab for "important" and a tab for "recommended." Today I loaded all updates that were important. But when I looked in my update history, a few were described as recommended. Also, today some places listed one update as "critical" - (the one...
Windows Updates & Activation
All important updates fail!!
Hello guys, nice to meet this wonderful forum. My problem is that ALL my important updates fail to install for some unknown reason. I've not been able to install SP1, IE9 etc..... Is there anything I can do besides formatting, or is there a way I can repair windows update only? I tried...
Windows Updates & Activation
windows updates set to off, but critical updates still creeping in
i had it set to off and it still updates, which i dont want, how do i stop it doing it
Windows Updates & Activation
Install Updates Correctly-Important
I have read many posts about problems due to the fact that after the installation of MS Updates the computer began to freeze, BSOD or just work slowly. The most usual cause is the fact that the updates are downloaded and installed at the same time. Many of these updates require restarting the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Possible to Ignore Important Updates?
I'm wondering if it is possible to ignore an important windows update? Windows Defender updates are listed as important updates but I have my own security suite and therefore don't need to burn a few megs every month to update Windows Defender. I also have a netbook with very limited hard drive...
Windows Updates & Activation
Why aren't we getting some important Updates
Some updates like this IE8 security update that was released the 14th, we're not getting in Windows update. Why? Shouldn't we at least get important or critical security updates even in the lastest builds? I could see why maybe not other less important updates but critical security ones? And...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:10.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App