Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What does "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive importan

15 Feb 2016   #1
spetho2001

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 
What does "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive importan

I have the option "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" check so that updates are downloaded when I have my computer on. I find that if I have the "Never check for updates" option checked and I do a check manually it takes forever. Now I find that I am getting a yellow shield on my shut down button which says that downloaded updates will be installed before shutdown. I now do not have a choice of which downloaded updates to install as there does not seem to be a way of stopping the install. I would like to check each number before installing.
In a forum post someone has mentioned that if you uncheck "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" (still have "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" checked) you will only get security updates downloaded with the yellow warning on the shut down button and no other updates? Is this correct? I am assuming in this case you will have to do a manual check for all other updates? This is really not what I want.
Thank you,
TomS


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Feb 2016   #2
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

If you have WU set to "Check for updates but let me choose" then no updates will be auto installed. Not even security updates. They'll all appear in the list for you to selectm/deselect.
If you have the option "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important" then all the recommended updates will appear under the important section. If that option isn't selected, then all the recommended updates will appear under the optional section.
If WU is set to Automatic and that option is checked then all the recommended updates are installed automatically along with the security updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2016   #3
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
You are correct only Important updates will be installed on shutdown.

If the Give me recommended the same way.... box is Unchecked they are excluded from being downloaded and installed as well but they will still be shown in the Optional section where you can review them first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Feb 2016   #4
spetho2001

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 
Windows 10 updates

Brds7t7, TrashZone,
Brds7t7, If I have the "Download but let me choose" option check the updates down load and you get a yellow warning on your shut down button that does not give you any choice about when and if to install even if you go back to Windows Update before you shut down and uncheck or hide. It still installs the downloaded updates.
TrashZone,
Your statement "If the Give me recommended the same way.... box is Unchecked they are excluded from being downloaded and installed as well but they will still be shown in the Optional section where you can review them first.
Do I understand that if I have the "Download but let me choose to install" option checked and the "Give me recommended the same way" unchecked the Recommended Updates will be DOWNLOADED and listed under optional and not include in the updates that installed without my permission under the SHUT DOWN?
This is the worst mess I have ever seen!
Thank you,
TomS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2016   #5
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spetho2001 View Post
I have the option "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" check so that updates are downloaded when I have my computer on. I find that if I have the "Never check for updates" option checked and I do a check manually it takes forever. Now I find that I am getting a yellow shield on my shut down button which says that downloaded updates will be installed before shutdown. I now do not have a choice of which downloaded updates to install as there does not seem to be a way of stopping the install. I would like to check each number before installing.
In a forum post someone has mentioned that if you uncheck "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" (still have "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" checked) you will only get security updates downloaded with the yellow warning on the shut down button and no other updates? Is this correct? I am assuming in this case you will have to do a manual check for all other updates? This is really not what I want.
Thank you,
TomS
You can disable that part I highlighted in red using this tutorial,

Option one, number two,

Shut Down Windows - Enable or Disable "Install Updates and Shut Down"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2016   #6
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spetho2001 View Post
TrashZone,
Do I understand that if I have the "Download but let me choose to install" option checked and the "Give me recommended the same way" unchecked the Recommended Updates will be DOWNLOADED and listed under optional and not include in the updates that installed without my permission under the SHUT DOWN?
This is the worst mess I have ever seen!
Thank you,
TomS
Hi,
Not quite
Optional section updates will included all of the Recommended updates
That category will be excluded from being downloaded
When you shutdown or restart to install the Important updates that you did download via the setting you referred to Download but let me choose when..
Just the Important updates are installed
All of the Recommended and Optional updates are not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2016   #7
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baumgrenze View Post
Just for the record, did my insertion of a question into this thread constitute 'hijacking of the OP's thread?
Actually it did, I made you a new thread,

Windows update settings and other questions
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2016   #8
baumgrenze

Win 7 Pro 64
 
 

I tried to thank you with "Reputation" button but I need someone else to thank in that fashion.

I thank you for your helpful responses and for the clarification.

I will try to get my aging brain to remember the 'best practices' of sevenforums and to start new threads.

thanks

baumgrenze
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2016   #9
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baumgrenze View Post
I tried to thank you with "Reputation" button but I need someone else to thank in that fashion.

I thank you for your helpful responses and for the clarification.

I will try to get my aging brain to remember the 'best practices' of sevenforums and to start new threads.

thanks

baumgrenze
That's alright, don't worry about the rep.

You're welcome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What does "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive importan




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
During startup I always receive "Windows failed to start" error
I just built a new pc two days ago and have noticed every single time on startup I receive the "Error: Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might have caused the issue after you install Windows Updates" error, the keyboard doesn't turn on during boot so I can't access the...
Software
KB3054476 offered as "Important"/"Recommended"/"Optional"
Hi: Looking for insight/advice re: KB3054476. According to Infoworld, it was "Optional" in May, but I was not offered it then. This week, it was offered as "Important" and "Recommended" (!), but only for one of my 2 Win7/64 boxes. I have read the MS KB article, as well as THIS FORUM...
Windows Updates & Activation
Receive "Server Not Found" error when trying to load websites.
I receive this error regardless of the browser I'm using but I am connected to the internet; I can connect to steam and update games for example. The issue is tied solely to the inability to load websites. Mine is the only computer on the network that is displaying the issue. Any help resolving...
Network & Sharing
Cannot receive any Window Updates
It may be malware (that's another problem) but regardless, I can NOT download any, that's any, Windows Updates... instead I read " error code 80072EE2:(:mad:
Windows Updates & Activation
Will W7 RTM receive regular system updates?
Does anyone know if W7 RTM will receive updates and possible service packs in the future?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App