Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't upgrade IE10 to IE11. Can't uninstall IE 10.

02 Jun 2016   #11
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

> why do you have stars aroun 11?

Your wording implies that torchwood authored/created the command line text pasted into that post :-)

Perhaps a better way to word your question would be:
Why are there stars (asterisks) around 11.?

This method for uninstalling IE has been around for quite a while.
Here is one website that mentions this method:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ask...rnet-explorer/

But - to answer your question:
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum
is the search mask for the FORFILES command.
The asterisks (stars) are wildcards.





> Why is the .mum file is the only one involved?

The search (with its wildcards) will find than one MUM file.

If you use Windows (file) Explorer to search that path (%WINDIR%\servicing\Packages) using the search term of...
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-
...you should see several MUM and CAT files.
Here are some files found by that search:
Code:
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Package-MiniLP~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~11.2.9600.16428.mum
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Package-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~11.2.9600.16428.mum
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Optional-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~11.2.9600.16428.mum
The part in red letters is handled by the wild card asterisks. It allows the command line operation to find (and eventually act on) multiple MUM files without having to know the exact file name for each MUM file of interest. In this case, the operation want to act on MUM files that are associated with IE11.

If you search for...
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum
...you might see something like this:

Can't upgrade IE10 to IE11. Can't uninstall IE 10.-search.png

Notice that the CAT files no longer show in the search results.





> are there no other (maybe .exe) files related to the installation of IE?

Parts of IE are built into the operating system. IE11 is an update/upgrade/patch. It is not quite the same as installing/uninstalling an application. MUM files contain info on the installation of Windows patches/updates. In this case, the IE11 update MUM files are used to try and uninstall the IE11 update(s). More about this later.





> is an "Uninstalling package" a proper batch command (googled it , but the results are tad confusing)?

The words "Uninstalling package" are just text to tell the person running the commands that packages are being uninstalled. Notice the echo command just before the words "Uninstalling package".

Open a command prompt window and type...
echo any text
...then press enter.

The result should be that "any text" will be shown in the next line. "Uninstalling package" is nothing special. It is just FYI text. It could have been "Currently acting on this file:" if the author/creator of these commands had opted for that FYI text.





> can you say what this does "@fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname "?

The name of each file found by the FORFILES command is stored in the variable named @fname." The person that put together these commands decided that it would be nice to tell the user the name of each file being acted on.
e.g.
Uninstalling package (name of the first file found)
Uninstalling package (name of the next file found)
Uninstalling package (name of the next file found)
~~~


The first part of these commands...
Code:
FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c “cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname
...finds files (and informs the user).

The last part (pkgmgr /up:@fname) does the actual work.
Code:
start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart”
That tells the package manager app to UP (Uninstall Package) for each file name stored in the @fname variable. I'm guessing that the package manager app also starts/uses the trusted installer app to remove the IE update(s). This might further answer your question, "are there no other (maybe .exe) files related to the installation of IE?".



The "&&" joins the two command lines into one. This lets people copy/paste/run the command lines without having to create/run a batch file.



Caveat to all of the above: I'm not a programmer. The info presented above might be wrong or leave you with the wrong impression.




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Jun 2016   #12
jojorubi2

win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
Hi Jo,
Not exactly sure about the * syntex, suspect its a DOS requirement,way before my time.

I wasn't sure if IE11 had been completely uninstalled as it didn't install in the first place.
Trying to clean up before removing IE10.

Did you try the same on IE10..

Can you go to the Windows update log (C>>Windows>>Windowsupdate).
and post that days entries when you tried to install IE11, I need to see the specific error code and what happened just before.

Roy

Thank you,
Yeah, I did replace "11" with "10" (actually when I accidentally placed the command unaltered, cmd reacted with "11.mum does not exist").

I just tried to make an update so I attached the log with todays attempt.



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
> why do you have stars aroun 11?

Your wording implies that torchwood authored/created the command line text pasted into that post :-)

Perhaps a better way to word your question would be:
Why are there stars (asterisks) around 11.?

This method for uninstalling IE has been around for quite a while.
Here is one website that mentions this method:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ask...rnet-explorer/

But - to answer your question:
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum
is the search mask for the FORFILES command.
The asterisks (stars) are wildcards.





> Why is the .mum file is the only one involved?

The search (with its wildcards) will find than one MUM file.

If you use Windows (file) Explorer to search that path (%WINDIR%\servicing\Packages) using the search term of...
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-
...you should see several MUM and CAT files.
Here are some files found by that search:
Code:
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Package-MiniLP~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~11.2.9600.16428.mum
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Package-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~11.2.9600.16428.mum
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Optional-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~11.2.9600.16428.mum
The part in red letters is handled by the wild card asterisks. It allows the command line operation to find (and eventually act on) multiple MUM files without having to know the exact file name for each MUM file of interest. In this case, the operation want to act on MUM files that are associated with IE11.

If you search for...
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum
...you might see something like this:

Attachment 387577

Notice that the CAT files no longer show in the search results.





> are there no other (maybe .exe) files related to the installation of IE?

Parts of IE are built into the operating system. IE11 is an update/upgrade/patch. It is not quite the same as installing/uninstalling an application. MUM files contain info on the installation of Windows patches/updates. In this case, the IE11 update MUM files are used to try and uninstall the IE11 update(s). More about this later.





> is an "Uninstalling package" a proper batch command (googled it , but the results are tad confusing)?

The words "Uninstalling package" are just text to tell the person running the commands that packages are being uninstalled. Notice the echo command just before the words "Uninstalling package".

Open a command prompt window and type...
echo any text
...then press enter.

The result should be that "any text" will be shown in the next line. "Uninstalling package" is nothing special. It is just FYI text. It could have been "Currently acting on this file:" if the author/creator of these commands had opted for that FYI text.





> can you say what this does "@fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname "?

The name of each file found by the FORFILES command is stored in the variable named @fname." The person that put together these commands decided that it would be nice to tell the user the name of each file being acted on.
e.g.
Uninstalling package (name of the first file found)
Uninstalling package (name of the next file found)
Uninstalling package (name of the next file found)
~~~


The first part of these commands...
Code:
FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c “cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname
...finds files (and informs the user).

The last part (pkgmgr /up:@fname) does the actual work.
Code:
start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart”
That tells the package manager app to UP (Uninstall Package) for each file name stored in the @fname variable. I'm guessing that the package manager app also starts/uses the trusted installer app to remove the IE update(s). This might further answer your question, "are there no other (maybe .exe) files related to the installation of IE?".



The "&&" joins the two command lines into one. This lets people copy/paste/run the command lines without having to create/run a batch file.



Caveat to all of the above: I'm not a programmer. The info presented above might be wrong or leave you with the wrong impression.


Thank you very much for the explicative and detailed answer.
First of all, yeah, I thought that he authored that command or a native DOS speakers quoting a convo with another native :P.



Second, Ohhhhh.
So the asterisks are like a quotation and if I wanted to sift through the data and find anything that also has "bear" in it- I'd write *11.**bear* .mum.
but then why isnt .mum in asterisks? and if I wanted to find ".mum" and ".dad" but leave ".cat" and ".dog" alone, should I encase them in said asteriks?




As for the rest, thanks, I still need some time to figure those commands (in the last line) and follow that algorithm through, but you pretty much explained it!


Attached Files
File Type: log WindowsUpdate.log (1.21 MB, 3 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2016   #13
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jojorubi2 View Post
Second, Ohhhhh.
So the asterisks are like a quotation and if I wanted to sift through the data and find anything that also has "bear" in it- I'd write *11.**bear* .mum.
but then why isnt .mum in asterisks? and if I wanted to find ".mum" and ".dad" but leave ".cat" and ".dog" alone, should I encase them in said asteriks?
*11.**bear*.mum should be
*11.*bear*.mum

There is no value in putting two asterisks side by side.

The asterisks are not like quotations.

A search term of 11.*bear.mum will match:
11.anythingbear.mum
11.anyonebear.mum
11.anycharacterbear.mum
11.anywordbear.mum
11.anyphrasebear.mum
11.bear.mum

You are telling the search engine that you don't know what character(s) (if any) might be where the asterisk is located.

A search term of *11.*bear.mum will match:
ThingsHere11.anythingbear.mum
ThingsBeforeTheEleven11.anyonebear.mum
211.anycharacterbear.mum
AnyGibberish11.anywordbear.mum
anything11.anyphrasebear.mum
11.bear.mum



> if I wanted to find ".mum" and ".dad" but leave ".cat" and ".dog" alone
Then the search term could be 11.*bear.mum OR 11.*bear.dad
Windows (file) Explorer searches support Boolean Operators.
I'm not sure if that extends to the FORFILES command.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jun 2016   #14
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 

Hi Jojo,
Think i've found the problem.
WU is trying to update your Intel graphics card, and failing, causing a cascade error in the IE11 install, there are some pre-requisites, (graphics card being upto date).

Can you update it from either the comp manufacturers website, or directly from Intel.

Temporarily stop Windows update.

Then see if the standalone IE11 installer works.

Roy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2016   #15
jojorubi2

win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
Hi Jojo,
Think i've found the problem.
WU is trying to update your Intel graphics card, and failing, causing a cascade error in the IE11 install, there are some pre-requisites, (graphics card being upto date).

Can you update it from either the comp manufacturers website, or directly from Intel.

Temporarily stop Windows update.

Then see if the standalone IE11 installer works.

Roy
Where do you see that (the error cascade)?

*sigh*.
ok, i'm not sure if the rest of the process should be in this thread or if it is even possible.
I juxt downloaded the latest driver for my built in graphics card but that didn't help the update. here is the log from just now.


Neither disabling updates ("never check for updates") and instaling ie11 directly.




Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jojorubi2 View Post
Second, Ohhhhh.
So the asterisks are like a quotation and if I wanted to sift through the data and find anything that also has "bear" in it- I'd write *11.**bear* .mum.
but then why isnt .mum in asterisks? and if I wanted to find ".mum" and ".dad" but leave ".cat" and ".dog" alone, should I encase them in said asteriks?
*11.**bear*.mum should be
*11.*bear*.mum

There is no value in putting two asterisks side by side.

The asterisks are not like quotations.

A search term of 11.*bear.mum will match:
11.anythingbear.mum
11.anyonebear.mum
11.anycharacterbear.mum
11.anywordbear.mum
11.anyphrasebear.mum
11.bear.mum

You are telling the search engine that you don't know what character(s) (if any) might be where the asterisk is located.

A search term of *11.*bear.mum will match:
ThingsHere11.anythingbear.mum
ThingsBeforeTheEleven11.anyonebear.mum
211.anycharacterbear.mum
AnyGibberish11.anywordbear.mum
anything11.anyphrasebear.mum
11.bear.mum



> if I wanted to find ".mum" and ".dad" but leave ".cat" and ".dog" alone
Then the search term could be 11.*bear.mum OR 11.*bear.dad
Windows (file) Explorer searches support Boolean Operators.
I'm not sure if that extends to the FORFILES command.

oh, ok cool.
but did you mean file explorer does not support boolean? (your link says that boolean includes 'and' commands) I just tried *.exe *.txt and it didn't work.

thank you very much.


Attached Files
File Type: log WindowsUpdate.log (1.35 MB, 5 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2016   #16
jojorubi2

win7
 
 

The thread has gone far down so i'll just up it.

To clarify, my main questions at the moment are: 1) where on the log I can see the error cascade? (couldn't identify by myself).
2) where should I approach next? it seems like updating my intel graphic drivers does not help.

thank you!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2016   #17
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jojorubi2 View Post
oh, ok cool.
but did you mean file explorer does not support boolean? (your link says that boolean includes 'and' commands) I just tried *.exe *.txt and it didn't work.

thank you very much.
Windows (file) Explorer does support Boolean Operators in the search terms:

Can't upgrade IE10 to IE11. Can't uninstall IE 10.-bo1.png

Can't upgrade IE10 to IE11. Can't uninstall IE 10.-bo2.png

If you searched using...
*.exe and *.txt
...then the returns should be empty.

The Boolean Operator "AND" means that each file listed in the search returns matches the search terms on each side of the "AND". No files have exe and txt extensions at the same time. You probably meant to use "OR".

It can be a bit confusing. Using...
*.exe or *.txt
...returns exe and txt files.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2016   #18
jojorubi2

win7
 
 

Ohhhhh. D'oh.

Of course you are right.

I think at the moment I have no more questions (about that issue).
Man, that knowledge really did help me out this past week. I used to pluck some files I use regularly by hand (too lazy for other means) but now... yeah, found what I want in seconds.


Thank you very much man!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2016   #19
jojorubi2

win7
 
 

Hi, so this is an update for whomever.
It seems like the problem was resolved (mostly).
I went into Control panel-> device manager, and removed all of the Intel drivers I had.
I then inserted my win7 disc and did installation repair (Repair Install ) which has deleted all of my updates and reverted windows back to its incipient state.

I then chose to update my system and did it by order where the security patches came first, then I updated all of the IE versions, and finally all else.

At the moment IE11 is successfully on.

I now have a new problem where my Intel driver updates and my NET Framework, refuse to go on, but I'll try a similar treatment on them.


Many thanks to all the helpers!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't upgrade IE10 to IE11. Can't uninstall IE 10.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
IE11 Update/Install Issue - Trying to Upgrade to IE11
Good Afternoon, I am running into issues trying to upgrade to IE11. It looks like there are several issues in my CheckSUR Log, but I am not sure how to fix them. I have ran SFC /scannow a couple times and no errors have been identified. I have been having this problem for a couple months now...
Windows Updates & Activation
Cannot update from IE10 to IE11 with 9c59
I am having issues to update from IE10 to IE11. Also cannot install updates KB3003057 or anyones which this one supersedes such as KB2987107, KB2977629, etc for months. I have run the CheckSur and sfc for a few times already and the latest one does not seem to have lots of errors. Also ran the...
Windows Updates & Activation
How to go to IE10 from IE11 if it was never installed
Hi, I am running into issues with IE11 not working well in my environment and would like to drop down to IE10. However IE10 was never installed via Windows Update, so when I uninstall IE11 in installed updates, I end up back on IE8. But then when I try to update to IE10 I get a 9c59 error, and...
Windows Updates & Activation
I can't get IE10 or IE11 to install
Sorry - not exactly a novice, but I get a server error when I try to attach my CBS.zip file. My guess is the file is too large at 11mb. FYI- when I ran /scannow, I got no errors. The reason I'm trying to attach the cbs.zip file is because I can't get IE10 or IE11 to install on my Win7...
Windows Updates & Activation
How can I fix my IE10 after that update from IE11
Not too long ago Gregrocker was so very kind and totally did a reinstall of my Windows7 Home Premium Edition 32-bit for me. It was a complete disaster and he had magical fingers and fixed my laptop so it felt like it was brand new again. I had my IE back of which I didn't have before and he set my...
Browsers & Mail
Can I revert IE11 To IE10?
I currently have IE10 on Win 7. Before I install the new Update to IE11, I want to know how I can revert back to IE10 if issues develope, and if so, how. I read that IE10 can be reverted back to IE9 by merely going into Uninstall Programs and deleting the Microsoft IE10 Update. But, if I...
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:54.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App