Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Virtual Box and activation problems exceeded unlock code

29 Jun 2016   #1
Fooey

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 
Virtual Box and activation problems exceeded unlock code

I'm using Win 7 x64 as a host in Virtual Box.

I installed win 8.1 retail as a guest OS using it's license.

I've had to move the VDI file a few times, ect and now the license say exceeded unlocks or something.

So I called and put the numbers in and it activated.

My question is-I want to install this as my primary OS in a NON virtual environment. I obviously will stop using it in the virtual box but am I out of luck now?

I had no idea moving the VDI and creating a new VM entry was causing it to reactivate or whatever it did. There was no warning, ect.

Has anyone experienced losing a license due to Virtual Box?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Jun 2016   #2
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 

Hi Fooey,
You received that message BECAUSE you kept swapping/moving the OS.
Its standard MS operating proceedure to Temporarily block Keys because of this behaviour.
Irrelevant whether its W7/8/10, (primary or Virtual).

NO your not out of luck any Retail key can be moved to any computer.


Roy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2016   #3
townsbg

Windows 7 pro 64-bit
 
 

Since it has already been activated too many times your copy probably won't activate automatically online however you still have the option of calling Microsoft and they should help you.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fooey View Post
I had no idea moving the VDI and creating a new VM entry was causing it to reactivate or whatever it did. There was no warning, ect.
By creating another virtual machine using the same hard drive file you caused Windows to think that it was put on a new computer requiring the reactivation. Microsoft hasn't built in the ability for windows to know that it is not on a real pc but a virtual one so what to you is a new virtual machine to Windows looks like a new computer (ie motherboard). To avoid that you can simply back up the virtual machine. that way if something happens to the config files you replace them with the originals. You shouldn't even have to replace the hard drive file unless it is damaged.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Jun 2016   #4
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 

RETAIL licences can be moved to any computer doesn't matter how many.
He presumably got the message as he moved it a number of times BETWEEN the 90 Day check.

Roy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2016   #5
Fooey

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

edit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2016   #6
Fooey

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
RETAIL licences can be moved to any computer doesn't matter how many.
He presumably got the message as he moved it a number of times BETWEEN the 90 Day check.

Roy
Thank you for you reply. If you have the time could you clarify just a few more things.


What I had to do is call and enter the numbers above a series of empty fields(A,B,C,D,E,F) and the automated system gave me numbers to enter.

After that it activated. It said i could reuse those in the future if I need to.

My last few questions would be-
1. If I install on my physical drive would those numbers work or will I need to call back again?

2. If I call back again will they just give me new numbers or is there a limit to the amount of times they allow this?

3. One of the questions on the phone is how many computers have you installed this on(-Should I always say one, or would I say two if I'm installing it on my actual computer?

I don't foresee anymore problems with moving the VM but I put an SSD as my primary OS drive and have been testing what secondary drive gives me the best performance for my VM

I assume my key will work at the beginning of the install(I don't think it allows install without a valid key).

I know there is a work around for this
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2016   #7
Fooey

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by townsbg View Post
Since it has already been activated too many times your copy probably won't activate automatically online however you still have the option of calling Microsoft and they should help you.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fooey View Post
I had no idea moving the VDI and creating a new VM entry was causing it to reactivate or whatever it did. There was no warning, ect.
By creating another virtual machine using the same hard drive file you caused Windows to think that it was put on a new computer requiring the reactivation. Microsoft hasn't built in the ability for windows to know that it is not on a real pc but a virtual one so what to you is a new virtual machine to Windows looks like a new computer (ie motherboard). To avoid that you can simply back up the virtual machine. that way if something happens to the config files you replace them with the originals. You shouldn't even have to replace the hard drive file unless it is damaged.
Thank you.

My problem is I don't know how to change the path in virtual box(but i'm going to figure that out right now) when I move my VMs. I've just been making new machines with the VDI. I know this was dumb(and time consuming) but I didn't think about the license issue until it popped up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2016   #8
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Fooey so you don't get confused.

Remember that a Retail Windows 7 can be move to another computer but can't legally be on more than one computer at a time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2016   #9
Fooey

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Fooey so you don't get confused.

Remember that a Retail Windows 7 can be move to another computer but can't legally be on more than one computer at a time.
Yes. Absolutely

I have only used in it one VM box and plan to install it as my primary OS on a physical drive. I will delete the VM box before I proceed with that.

I just get confused when it asks me how many computers has this been installed on.

I don't know if they mean in total, or at this moment. I just say 1(which is true)

To make matters worse, for whatever reason it deactivated when i moved them again. I copied all the config files properly, as best as i can tell, but it said invalid UUID.

I had to call and get another set of codes which activated fine. I think I'm going to talk to someone at MS and explain and see if i can get a new key. I'll feel better with a new key if it's going to be my actual OS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2016   #10
townsbg

Windows 7 pro 64-bit
 
 

I don't know enough about Virtual box to help you; I tried it once and didn't like it. As far as I know the activation code is for that install. You can try it on others but don't depend on it. Your best bet is the activation line.

Quote:
I just get confused when it asks me how many computers has this been installed on.
I think the question is how many computers it is installed on which is one. Your serial number will work on another computer although you've messed up your automatic activation at least temporarily (hence the need to call their activation line). You should however be able to call them again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Virtual Box and activation problems exceeded unlock code




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
activation code
Is it possible to retrieve the Windows activation code for a laptop/PC ? I am about to clean re-install Win7 x32 Home Premium onto a laptop. Or would I have to contact MS to get a fresh activation code. ? Thank you :)
Windows Updates & Activation
MAC Virtual Machine Windows 7 Activation
I guess that few of you have ever experienced this problem, certainly Microsoft themselves were of no help so I am looking for other insights and sincerely would appreciate any constructive comments from anyone who's walked this path before. Last year I bought a Macbook Pro to replace my ailing...
Windows Updates & Activation
Activation Code Question
Excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong forums. I was wondering if it is possible to get my version of windows activated on the same laptop because I had to get a new HDD and I installed my old version of windows back into it (Windows 7 Home Premium) and I used my product key. Or do I have...
Windows Updates & Activation
Activation problems, error code 0xC004E003, lenovo laptop
Hello everyone. I'm having a few problems with activating my windows 7 professional and I'd greatly appreciate some help. I've done plenty of searches on the web to try some of the methods provided by Microsoft support pages and other sites. So I guess I will start with my story before...
Windows Updates & Activation
Student Upgrade on New Virtual Machine - Activation
I have Windows XP Pro on a Boot Camp partition of my Mac Book Pro. I have gone through the arduous process of creating an .iso file and have installed Win7 into a new virtual machine. It is a clean install since there was nothing else there. Now I cannot get past the activation screen, where I...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:12.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App