Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do I reset Windows Update components?

19 Sep 2016   #61
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
As you said on page one it is a work around


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Sep 2016   #62
NICK ADSL UK
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
As you said on page one it is a work around
It is indeed a workaround but it's very simple to undertake to those that are looking for the fix.

thanks to everyone here for the time spent in this thread in trying to get a solid solution and closure
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2016   #63
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
KB3020369 & KB3172605 are really only for older existing installs with updating problems.

A clean install would be best using these three KB3020369 & KB3125574 & KB3172605 instead to be updated through April 2016 and having the newest update client to bring them the rest of the remaining updates to date.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Sep 2016   #64
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

From post #60 by NICK ADSL UK
Quote:
The best bet is to always install ALL updates that Microsoft give you irrespective on what they are unless instructed not to do so by someone who is qualified ' as it is only for the experts that are able to pick and choose and if your not an expert the chances are things will go wrong at some point. Always remember the golden rule if in doubt (ASK DON'T GUESS)
Many did the (The best bet is to always install ALL updates that Microsoft) when we could trust Microsoft and their updates. When (GWX) came out and screwed up Windows 7 updates trying to peddle W-10 is when Windows 7 update trust took a dump and was flushed. That trust I had will be hard to regain. I'm thinking others may also feel as I do.

I'm one of those that tried W-10 and found that I didn't like it or had a need for it.
When Microsoft fixes W-10, I will buy it, install it on it's own SSD and dual boot.
Once again simple when I choose to do so.
W-10 also has it update/upgrade nightmares.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2016   #65
NICK ADSL UK
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
From post #60 by NICK ADSL UK
Quote:
The best bet is to always install ALL updates that Microsoft give you irrespective on what they are unless instructed not to do so by someone who is qualified ' as it is only for the experts that are able to pick and choose and if your not an expert the chances are things will go wrong at some point. Always remember the golden rule if in doubt (ASK DON'T GUESS)
Many did the (The best bet is to always install ALL updates that Microsoft) when we could trust Microsoft and their updates. When (GWX) came out and screwed up Windows 7 updates trying to peddle W-10 is when Windows 7 update trust took a dump and was flushed. That trust I had will be hard to regain. I'm thinking others may also feel as I do.

I'm one of those that tried W-10 and found that I didn't like it or had a need for it.
When Microsoft fixes W-10, I will buy it, install it on it's own SSD and dual boot.
Once again simple when I choose to do so.
W-10 also has it update/upgrade nightmares.
I have been a mvp for the past 11 years at Microsoft and in all that time iv'e never felt anything untowards with regards how they treat the public

Sure things could be better 'but with so many ways to exploit today's technology things will often go wrong

in all the years they have treated me as a valued insider able to bring about faults before they get out of hand 'but in reality with so much change as of late things will often need to be addressed in forums such as this

if you do not wont to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 then never 10 is my preferred option as it's the most simplest to understand and can be found here

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2016   #66
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
Well as your first posts showed how well auto updating goes and you were not alone having issues with updating win-7
I'll assume you were auto updating as the recommended update settings will default too like Mom and Pop would be set at

Still not sure why you would be happy with the work around Mom and Pop would still not be helped in their current situation stuck in stalled updating state.

So your original pursuit of how Microsoft can fix the dysfunctional update system as soon as win-7 connects to the internet searching for updates is not fixed at all
You sadly have settled
But still not acknowledging KB3125574 as a better way to get updates up through April of 2016

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...ows-7-and-8-1/

Which has been discussed at length on SevenForums by Brink which gave us all a heads up
Simplifying updates for Windows 7 and 8.1
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2016   #67
NICK ADSL UK
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Well as your first posts showed how well auto updating goes and you were not alone having issues with updating win-7
I'll assume you were auto updating as the recommended update settings will default too like Mom and Pop would be set at

Still not sure why you would be happy with the work around Mom and Pop would still not be helped in their current situation stuck in stalled updating state.

So your original pursuit of how Microsoft can fix the dysfunctional update system as soon as win-7 connects to the internet searching for updates is not fixed at all
You sadly have settled
But still not acknowledging KB3125574 as a better way to get updates up through April of 2016

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...ows-7-and-8-1/

Which has been discussed at length on SevenForums by Brink which gave us all a heads up
Simplifying updates for Windows 7 and 8.1
Well i will still be working on a long term solution with Microsoft support as the vast majority of people like my wife are still without any updates and will continue to be without them until told that they've stopped working

These things take time to pursue finalized fixes' The art now is how to get the public worldwide to get to know there automatic updates are not working and on what steps they will need to undertake to get them restarted again

This will of course take time as we will never be sure how many people worldwide are affected and by judging the estate where i live all have been affected so i will be busy over the coming weeks in getting the message out that they will need to undertake as the above
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2016   #68
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I used Never10, but before it came out I kept stopping updates and regedit to keep the trash out of my computers.
I have removed Never10 and have installed KB3172605 on the system in my specs.
Checked Windows update and received and install all updates. Including the update to clean up GWX.
Ran sfc /scannow and found no problems.
So far things are working properly on this computer; but my other computer (Home Premium/64) has been searching for hours for updates. I will probably have to do a Repair Install to get Windows 7 updates working properly. Not a lot of joy.
I download KB3172605 on my (H.P.) PC and at the present time it is searching for updates.

My backups and Clones don't go back a year when GWX came out so their will be no help there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2016   #69
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
If no joy I still have the July version on my OneDrive Jack
KB3172605 was reissued this month so it might not be as good ?
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsjD7o6P3KLKj2TjShn8-SumV1rr
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2016   #70
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Thanks for the offer Mike.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do I reset Windows Update components?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Update - Reset
How to Reset Windows Update in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 This will show you how to reset Windows Update view update history, and how to reset and re-register Windows Update Components if you are having a problem updating with Windows Update. To Only Reset Windows Update...
Tutorials
Problems with windows update after factory reset
I am running an HP desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. My machine was used by someone else and came back flooded w viruses. It didnt come with a backup disc and I have my personal stuff backed up on micro sd with adapters so I did a factory reset and all went well except now windows update...
Windows Updates & Activation
Cannot delete the qmgr*.dat files to reset Windows Update components.
Hi, I've tried to follow this instruction https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058 in order to reset Windows Update components (as means to get my Windows 7 updated :banghead:). In step 3 it says to delete the qmgr*.dat files by using a command prompt. But when I try to do so I get this...
Windows Updates & Activation
A update caused windows update settings to reset?
Just posting as a warning to others (and to vent my annoyance a bit) I always set up my Windows update settings to "check and notify but don't download and install unless I tell you to" to prevent HDD thrashing, performance downgrading at the worst possible times and annoying "oh, you need to...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update seems to have reset or created an account password
I've been using my Lenovo portable with Windows 7 Home Premium for about 6 months. I have never had a password on my account (I live alone). I was prompted this morning to restart to install updates; when I did, Windows asked for a password. I've tried all my usual passwords, including blank,...
Windows Updates & Activation
Laptop factory reset after windows update!!!!
I'm not sure what has happened here. My daughter has a sony Vaio laptop that came with Home Premium installed. I upgraded it to Professional and it's been working fine for over a year. A few weeks ago it just wouldn't start so inserted the Professional installation discs and did a start up...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:30.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App