Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows calls KB3193414 update important, but...

01 Oct 2016   #21
pxfragonard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ejromig View Post
My system has the same "Important Update" exactly as shown above
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by timfs View Post
And then there's this

Is this Microsoft security essentails update genuine? - Microsoft Community

While I could imagine that as a possible cause, ie multiple languages installed, therefore you receive a locale specific update (earlier than others), I do not have any additional languages installed, let alone any chinese or multi-language packs, and the lack of a KB article is still suspicious to me, I mean, people over in China like some technical details too, don't they?

Also the linked thread in the chinese MS support forums doesn't seem to prove any validity... could the KB article possibly be region restricted?


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SGvagon View Post
This update removes Scan via MSE from right click menu on files http://s20.postimg.org/oj17k04a5/screenshot_240.png (this is gone) . So do not install this now and wait for more informations from Microsoft!
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mecanicogolf View Post
Ive heard it has something about PCs that have more than one language installed. Its intended for the Chinese language, but for some reason Microsoft put it and my PC (Ive got English and Spanish installed and I can go back and forth). Also, seems like it updated all by itself too. I did not give it permission. Kinda like a Windows 10 thing last year. Microsoft! Geez............
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SGvagon View Post
This update removes Scan via MSE from right click menu on files http://s20.postimg.org/oj17k04a5/screenshot_240.png (this is gone) . So do not install this now and wait for more informations from Microsoft!
Correct, it does remove the scan file(s)/folder(s) option from Explorer's right click context menu.

Before this update:
Attachment 392218

After this update:
Attachment 392219

"Send to" work around:
Attachment 392220
This work around works for entire folders too. Right click on the file of folder of interest and "send" that file or folder to the batch file mentioned below.

Create a batch file with these two lines:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 3 -File %1
pause
Scans a single file or single folder.

Or use these two lines in your batch file:
Code:
for %%i in (%*) do "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 3 -File %1
pause
Scans multiple files or multiple folders. But you might reach a limit.



Put that batch file in your "Send to" folder.
Code:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

I have seen updates come out with no info.
In a day or two, this link might have some info:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3193414


:-(
Attachment 392221
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bob297571 View Post
If you need right click "scan functionality" back you can uninstall MSE and then reinstall again MS has the standalone versions availble. Dont run windows update between otherwise it will throw "Defender" updates at you. kb3193414 will reappear soon afterwards so you can hide it. However heres the kicker theres nothing out there on wether this update is crucial for future updates and/or dependancies and its really up to you if you want right click scan back and how much you want to risk. So if you do youll need to watch for regular MSE updates and if they fail or not
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RayBone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SGvagon View Post
This update removes Scan via MSE from right click menu on files http://s20.postimg.org/oj17k04a5/screenshot_240.png (this is gone) . So do not install this now and wait for more informations from Microsoft!
Correct, it does remove the scan file(s)/folder(s) option from Explorer's right click context menu.

Before this update:
Attachment 392218

After this update:
Attachment 392219

"Send to" work around:
Attachment 392220
This work around works for entire folders too. Right click on the file of folder of interest and "send" that file or folder to the batch file mentioned below.

Create a batch file with these two lines:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 3 -File %1
pause
Scans a single file or single folder.

Or use these two lines in your batch file:
Code:
for %%i in (%*) do "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 3 -File %1
pause
Scans multiple files or multiple folders. But you might reach a limit.



Put that batch file in your "Send to" folder.
Code:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

I have seen updates come out with no info.
In a day or two, this link might have some info:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3193414


:-(
Attachment 392221
Thank you for the work around even though I didn't install the update it's still nice to have this info I created and tested the bat file and it works really just as good as the other way if not a little faster because there is no GUI to slow down the scan
I tried it too. It works. Thanks. Now maybe I'll install the update to make sure I get the next ones installed properly. Maybe the next one will fix this bug.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Oct 2016   #22
RayBone

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pxfragonard View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ejromig View Post
My system has the same "Important Update" exactly as shown above
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by timfs View Post
And then there's this

Is this Microsoft security essentails update genuine? - Microsoft Community

While I could imagine that as a possible cause, ie multiple languages installed, therefore you receive a locale specific update (earlier than others), I do not have any additional languages installed, let alone any chinese or multi-language packs, and the lack of a KB article is still suspicious to me, I mean, people over in China like some technical details too, don't they?

Also the linked thread in the chinese MS support forums doesn't seem to prove any validity... could the KB article possibly be region restricted?










Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RayBone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Correct, it does remove the scan file(s)/folder(s) option from Explorer's right click context menu.

Before this update:
Attachment 392218

After this update:
Attachment 392219

"Send to" work around:
Attachment 392220
This work around works for entire folders too. Right click on the file of folder of interest and "send" that file or folder to the batch file mentioned below.

Create a batch file with these two lines:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 3 -File %1
pause
Scans a single file or single folder.

Or use these two lines in your batch file:
Code:
for %%i in (%*) do "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 3 -File %1
pause
Scans multiple files or multiple folders. But you might reach a limit.



Put that batch file in your "Send to" folder.
Code:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

I have seen updates come out with no info.
In a day or two, this link might have some info:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3193414


:-(
Attachment 392221
Thank you for the work around even though I didn't install the update it's still nice to have this info I created and tested the bat file and it works really just as good as the other way if not a little faster because there is no GUI to slow down the scan
I tried it too. It works. Thanks. Now maybe I'll install the update to make sure I get the next ones installed properly. Maybe the next one will fix this bug.
Until there is an actual KB actual in english that I can find on an MS server I will avoid
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2016   #23
ESL

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

How do I create the batch file?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Oct 2016   #24
RayBone

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

use notepad
then in notepad save as then down where it says text document change to all files then were you type the name of the file you can put whatever you want to call the batch file dot bat example batch.bat save the file to your desktop then exit notepad then double click the saved file

I'm sorry I gave incorrect instructions you need to save the batch file to the send to folder.

I was thinking of something else sorry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2016   #25
ESL

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Thanks. Let's all hope that Microsoft comes out with a fix for this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2016   #26
RayBone

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ESL View Post
Thanks. Let's all hope that Microsoft comes out with a fix for this.
to get to the send to folder under your user account name

"C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo"


1. open "My Computer"
2. Upper right hand corner where it say's "Organize" click then
3. click on "Folder and search options" then click on
4. middle tab or "View"
5. Scroll down to "hidden files and folders"
6. click on the bubble for "Show hidden files, folders and drives"
7. Click "OK"

Now you should be able to see AppData folder
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2016   #27
RayBone

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Oh and like the original poster said you should name the batch file something like ScanWithMSE.bat then save it in the send to folder
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2016   #28
Orginalnet

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Funny because I don't have KB3193414 installed on my PC but I still don't have that "scan with" in my context menu and I know I had it not that long ago. I think it's more that just the KB that's causing this to happen. The DOS workaround is not a solution I want to have to deal with with my AV software. I hope Microsoft quits screwing the pooch with Windows (consumer versions) as much as they have. I made a great living supporting their product for the last 20 years and I would hate to see that end...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
4 Weeks Ago   #29
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Came across this issue on a laptop re install I just did, after 3 attempts to install it, and after reading this thread, I just hid the update, don`t need it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows calls KB3193414 update important, but...




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Update not able to find important updates 0x80190194
Im not able to find any windows important windows updates it gives me this code 0x80190194 and system cannot determine vulome of drive just before the welcome screen for my password please help.
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Important Security Update Error
Hi, I have a problem with updates that try to install every time PC restart. They give me everytime error code 80070490 and if I try to press Try again then give me error code 8024AFFF. I try to solve the problem with Microsoft FixIt, then update was installed succesfully, but after restart...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows update showing No important updates available
My HD on my Toshiba Satellite M645-S4045 went bad so I reinstalled a new one and used the Toshiba System recovery DVDs to restore my laptop back to the factory condition (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit). Initially Windows Update showed 99 important updates to which I was able to download and install...
Windows Updates & Activation
Is Windows Update important?
Windows Update has often put my system in some interesting situations, and I truly never want to update ever again. I recently reinstalled my system and the last time I did updates, my system prompted me to restart and was instead left hanging on the "shutting down" message for an hour, forcing me...
System Security
Important Update for Windows 7 keeps failing
Hello, Yesterday my laptop had an update for me, so I attempted to install it. However, when it was done I was told that the installation failed. I restarted the computer and attempted to install it again, but it still failed. I looked into more detail on what I was installing, which was...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update, important update not selected
Hello all When executing Windows Update, I experienced that one important update is not automatically selected to download and install. I like to understand why this is? Also I like to understand if I should always install all important updates, even the ones not by default...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:38.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App