Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Anything undesirable in KB3185330 or KB3188740?

18 Oct 2016   #1
SevenOfNine

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 
Anything undesirable in KB3185330 or KB3188740?

Do either of these Windows Updates include any telemetry or other undesirable crap?:
  • October, 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3185330)
  • October, 2016 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64 (KB3188740)
My understanding is that both, despite their names, contain a lot of non-security updates... but I haven't been able to find a clear explanation of whether or not either contains any telemetry or other junk.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Oct 2016   #2
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
Not sure but I installed them both

This one says it was released today so called "quality" update
Doubt I'll load it updating is over for the month I'm not jumping and installing just because MS decides to release something out of the blue
I do second Tuesday only and Important only updates.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3192403
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2016   #3
SevenOfNine

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Not sure but I installed them both

This one says it was released today so called "quality" update
Doubt I'll load it updating is over for the month I'm not jumping and installing just because MS decides to release something out of the blue
I do second Tuesday only and Important only updates.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3192403
Thanks. Appreciate it. Hopefully someone will know!

Don't want to get OT right at the beginning of this thread, but the KB you posted is so weird... it's called "October 2016 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup...". WTH! So first they release an October 2016 rollup, then later they release an October 2016 preview rollup?!? Maybe they are really trying to say that it is a preview of the November 2016 rollup? Microsoft sure is making it confusing these days. It's like they have a donkey steering their business.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Oct 2016   #4
RRS1947

Windows 7 PRO SP1 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SevenOfNine View Post
Do either of these Windows Updates include any telemetry or other undesirable crap?:
  • October, 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3185330)
  • October, 2016 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64 (KB3188740)
My understanding is that both, despite their names, contain a lot of non-security updates... but I haven't been able to find a clear explanation of whether or not either contains any telemetry or other junk.
See this: Microsoft previews telemetry push with new Win7/8.1 patches KB 3192403, 3192404 | InfoWorld

Rob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2016   #5
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SevenOfNine View Post
...Microsoft sure is making it confusing these days. It's like they have a donkey steering their business.
That's because they do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2016   #6
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Not sure but I installed them both

This one says it was released today so called "quality" update
Doubt I'll load it updating is over for the month I'm not jumping and installing just because MS decides to release something out of the blue
I do second Tuesday only and Important only updates.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3192403
I'm not installing that one yet either. See link in this post:

More on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 servicing changes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2016   #7
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
Thanks
Yep I'm sticking with Important only/ Net framework/ Office updates only.
Not to mention System image.... well before doing anything

My laptop I'm playing with a little bit and installing more stuff than my other 2 machines mostly because I rarely use it so if it gets some MS garbage.... it won't matter much
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2016   #8
SevenOfNine

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Not sure but I installed them both

This one says it was released today so called "quality" update
Doubt I'll load it updating is over for the month I'm not jumping and installing just because MS decides to release something out of the blue
I do second Tuesday only and Important only updates.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3192403
I'm not installing that one yet either. See link in this post:

More on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 servicing changes
Did you install KB3185330 or KB3188740?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2016   #9
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
Yes on 10-16-2016 seem okay
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2016   #10
msalton1

windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
 
 

Is there a reference list of unsavory updates to be avoided? I google every update. It does get tedious. It sure would be nice to have a site to visit that maintains a list of the ones to avoid.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Anything undesirable in KB3185330 or KB3188740?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
undesirable .bat file side effects in Win7 pro 64-bit
I run a very simple .bat file every 5 mins: @echo OFF cd c:\user_name_directory mkdir foo exit I also run a similar .bat file to remove the foo directory: @echo OFF cd c:\user_name_directory
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App