Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Configuring windows 7 Home Premium for WSUS Updates


12 Feb 2010   #1

windows xp
 
 
Configuring windows 7 Home Premium for WSUS Updates

Hi, I want to configure Windows 7 Home Premium to get it's updates from a WSUS server, but there is no gpedit.msc. How do I achieve this..

Thanks..

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Feb 2010   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64 PL
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bugzee View Post
Hi, I want to configure Windows 7 Home Premium to get it's updates from a WSUS server, but there is no gpedit.msc. How do I achieve this..

Thanks..
There is no gpedit.msc in Home,it is only in Proffesional and Ultimate
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #3

windows xp
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bugzee View Post
Hi, I want to configure Windows 7 Home Premium to get it's updates from a WSUS server, but there is no gpedit.msc. How do I achieve this..

Thanks..
There is no gpedit.msc in Home,it is only in Proffesional and Ultimate

So how do I configure Windows 7 to connect to a WSUS server?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Feb 2010   #4

Windows 7 Professional x64 PL
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bugzee View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bugzee View Post
Hi, I want to configure Windows 7 Home Premium to get it's updates from a WSUS server, but there is no gpedit.msc. How do I achieve this..

Thanks..
There is no gpedit.msc in Home,it is only in Proffesional and Ultimate

So how do I configure Windows 7 to connect to a WSUS server?
It is only possible directly in registry.See this article.Maybe it help:Configure Clients in a Non?Active Directory Environment
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #5

windows xp
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bugzee View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

There is no gpedit.msc in Home,it is only in Proffesional and Ultimate

So how do I configure Windows 7 to connect to a WSUS server?
It is only possible directly in registry.See this article.Maybe it help:Configure Clients in a Non?Active Directory Environment
Unfortunately the registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU doesn't exsits..... I think I'll have to contact microsoft directly, right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64 PL
 
 

[QUOTE=bugzee;564564]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
Unfortunately the registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU doesn't exsits..... I think I'll have to contact microsoft directly, right?
Maybe you have to only create this key manually,I'll check it later thoroughly...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #7

windows xp
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
Maybe you have to only create this key manually,I'll check it later thoroughly...
I'll try creating this key and see... anyway keep me posted.. Thanks...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #8

Windows 7 Professional x64 PL
 
 

Yes I had right.It is normal defaultly this key don't exist,but when you configure WU this key will appear in registry.

Easy example from this site:HOW TO: Connect Vista to WSUS 3.0

it look in registry following:

Quote:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"WUServer"="http://192.168.131.199:8530"
"WUStatusServer"="http://192.168.131.199:8530"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
"AUOptions"=dword:00000003
"ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000
"ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000003
"UseWUServer"=dword:00000001
Of course it is only example .So link from MS Technet which I gave you is still up to date.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2010   #9

windows xp
 
 

ok, it's working now... I just copied the reg from a working windows xp machine... Thanks for you help....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2010   #10

windows xp
 
 

btw: how can I mark this thread as answered...?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Configuring windows 7 Home Premium for WSUS Updates




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Configuring windows 7 Home Premium for WSUS Updates
Thread Forum
Failure configuring windows updates Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Updates Fails configuring updates and reverts back Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 Home Premium X64 - Updates all Failing. 800B0100 Windows Updates & Activation
Solved Windows 7 Home Premium X64 - Updates all Failing. (8007007e) Windows Updates & Activation
Home Premium x64: Can't change new updates time and date Windows Updates & Activation
Solved Configuring Windows updates 0% Windows Updates & Activation
all the updates failed! Fresh install of Win 7 64bit home premium! Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33