Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Delete Uninstall Files for Win 7 Updates

14 Apr 2010   #1
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 
Delete Uninstall Files for Win 7 Updates

Hi -

Still trying to get a handle on my Win 7 Pro after switching from XP Pro. In XP I was able to open the Add/Remove Programs screen and the C:\Windows folder and put them side by side. In the folder screen I selected Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Show Hidden Files and Folders. When I closed this dialog box I would see faint folders with their names in blue letters (like $NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$).

After deleting the uninstall file I would go to the Add/Remove screen, click on the corresponding update and then click Remove. I'd get a prompt that the uninstall file could not be located and did I wish to remove the program from the list of currently installed programs. Over the years I was able to free up about 1GB of hard drive space in XP.

Can the uninstall files for Win 7 updates be removed in a similar way? I can't even locate any of these files by doing a general search for $NtUninstall*$. If I missed a tutorial on this, or if this is the wrong place to post my question, I apologize. Thanks for your time and help.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2010   #2
brianzion

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

hi try this link to a great uninstaller gets rid of everything associated to the application better than the lame windows one i use it all the time with no problems and its free the write ups are a+ too
Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs, Solve uninstall problems
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #3
Flavius

Windows 7 Professional x64 PL
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
hi try this link to a great uninstaller gets rid of everything associated to the application better than the lame windows one i use it all the time with no problems and its free the write ups are a+ too
Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs, Solve uninstall problems
This soft is not applicable for updates for Windows.

@marsmimar

You must realize Win 7 is completely different system and all updates backup are stored somewhere in C:\Winodows\WinSxS,but there is no option to clear unused backups,probably (like for Vista) will be only such kind of ability for service packs in future (I think).The only thing what you can do it's empty C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder -this folder store downloaded updates.There is no option empty updates from "View installed updates" too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #4
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

As Flavius said, the Windows 7 ones are kept in the winsxs folder. Dont go about deleting them though, the system heavily relies on them. It keeps the older versions to keep application compatibility. Heres an illuminating read on the WinSxS folder.

The Secret Of Windows 7 / Vista Winsxs Folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #5
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Thanks everyone for the replies. I bypassed Vista and went directly to Win 7 from XP so this is a whole new learning process for me.

@ Bill2 -

Illuminating ain't the word for it. It was downright blinding!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #6
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Just a friendly note, try to keep in mind that Win 7 is not Win XP and should not be viewed the same. They are completely different beasts. People will run into the most trouble if they try to treat 7 like XP and do all the same stuff and tweaks. For the most part, Win 7 doesn't need that much or any tweaking other than cosmetic purposes.

I have 7 installed on 3 PC's now, and none of them are tweaked other than minor cosmetic changes and even those are more along the lines of Themes and Gadgets and some helpper ware (so to speak).

(ie. ultramon (for dual monitors [tv and laptop/desktop], desktop icon position savers, and some powertoys like CMD Prompt Here and Takeown)

So on a system like yours, just my opinion, you are better off not doing anything other than using the system as is.

one added note.... Honestly, if ones OS drive is running out of space, it's time to clean up junk files as normal maintenance requires and uninstall unnecessary software or,,,,,,

get a bigger hard drive. But leave the OS alone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #7
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
As Flavius said, the Windows 7 ones are kept in the winsxs folder. Dont go about deleting them though, the system heavily relies on them. It keeps the older versions to keep application compatibility. Heres an illuminating read on the WinSxS folder.

The Secret Of Windows 7 / Vista Winsxs Folder.
Very good information. Thanks for the link. I learned.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
Just a friendly note, try to keep in mind that Win 7 is not Win XP and should not be viewed the same. They are completely different beasts. People will run into the most trouble if they try to treat 7 like XP and do all the same stuff and tweaks. For the most part, Win 7 doesn't need that much or any tweaking other than cosmetic purposes.

I have 7 installed on 3 PC's now, and none of them are tweaked other than minor cosmetic changes and even those are more along the lines of Themes and Gadgets and some helpper ware (so to speak).

(ie. ultramon (for dual monitors [tv and laptop/desktop], desktop icon position savers, and some powertoys like CMD Prompt Here and Takeown)

So on a system like yours, just my opinion, you are better off not doing anything other than using the system as is.
Well said. You hit the nail on the head.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2010   #8
celldweller1591

Windows 7 + Windows Xp Pro + Ubuntu 10.04 + openSUSE 11.2
 
 

nice thread. thanks for the info !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2010   #9
brianzion

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

yeah i agree just leave the system to do its work i think we all get a bit worried how much data is stored on our machines but when it comes down to system files best leave them alone hard drives are better now and can store so much data, the other option is to use external ones to store most data and leave the machines hard drive for all the system files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Delete Uninstall Files for Win 7 Updates




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
delete/uninstall mmc and all snap ins
Hello, I read @ Microsoft (can't find where it was now) about uninstalling/replacing MMC 3.0 and all the snap ins and replacing from a non corrupted OS. I didn't read the whole article and don't remember if it could be done/taken off of the install disc and uncompressed or whatever. I could...
General Discussion
Uninstall ALL Windows Updates at once
Hello 7 I am working on clearing all of the HP bloat from my son's Compaq and I've decided to replace the system image with a bare-bones no-BS backup. Right now I'm in the middle of uninstalling over a year worth of Windows Updates. I've found several different ways of uninstalling a single...
Windows Updates & Activation
How to delete or uninstall failed windows updates
Good day to all, i just would like to ask how to delete or uninstall failed or unsuccesful updates of windows, it failed because of poor internet connection. thanx!
Windows Updates & Activation
How to delete or uninstall failed or unsuccesful updates in window 7
Good Day for All, Could anyone help me in How to delete or uninstall failed updates in window 7, I have been trying to install "Security Update for Windows 7 for X64-based system(KB2667402)" its keep on failing with error code 8024200D. I did try to solve by manual install of "System Update...
Windows Updates & Activation
IE8 uninstall updates
I am currently using IE7 which has worked great for the past 4 months on my desktop. I recently ran MS updater and mistakenly installed 2 IE8 updates. Is it possible that installing these could reduce the performance of IE7? As it seems to be a bit less responsive which may be coinsdence. :huh: ...
Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App