Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Backup Issues...

05 Aug 2010   #1
elmo2006

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 
Windows Backup Issues...

Hello...

I have a question that I'm unable to find a resolution to hence my presence in this forum and thread.

I have Win7x64 Ultimate and have been using the Windows backup functionality. I have it set up to perform a backup on a weekly basis to an external drive. The backup consists of data files only, no backup images are performed.
So I started with a clean complete backup of my data drive = 575GB, and every week it performs what seems to be an incremental or differential backup - either case is fine with me as long as my data get's backed up.
Herein lies the problem, for some strange reason the backup would generate a complete backup after the 3rd or 10th incremental/differential backup.
I now end up with 2 complete backups and my drive space has now been exceeded and I'm forced to delete a backup.

I guess my question is:

1. Why would Windows Backup perform an initial backup followed by scheduled differential/incremental backups then arbitrarily perform a complete backup once again.

BTW, these complete backups take almost 14 hours to complete - each.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Aug 2010   #2
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

post a snippet/snapshot of the output of disk management.

WIN key |type DISKMGMT.MSC | Enter key
Maximize the display

WIN key | type snipping | Enter

After all that post the snippet:
How to Post a Screenshot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2010   #3
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

I make full images each time, so I can't confirm it should make only incremental backups after the first time. I did find this in windows help:



"After you create your first backup, Windows Backup will add new or changed information to your subsequent backups. If you're saving your backups on a hard drive or network location, Windows Backup will create a new, full backup for you automatically when needed. If you're saving your backups on CDs or DVDs and can't find an existing backup disc, or if you want to create a new backup of all of the files on your computer, you can create a full backup."

"Windows Backup keeps track of the files that have been added or modified since your last backup and then updates the existing backup, which saves disk space."

"Backups are created in sets known as backup periods. To help maximize your disk space, Windows Backup backs up all selected folders the first time it's run and then it only backs up files that are new or have been modified since the last backup was made. Periodically, Windows creates a new, full backup. Each full backup is known as a backup period. When you view your file backups, you see all of the backup periods labeled with date ranges. If you decide to delete file backups, you should always keep the most recent file backup."

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Aug 2010   #4
Ztruker

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

Buy a good backup program like Acronis True Image Home 2010 which will do incremental backups and if you set it up that way, will continue to do so indefinitely, by merging the oldest into the full backup then creating a new incremental.

Macrium Reflect Free version is good but does not do incremental backups. For that you need to purchase the Pro version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2010   #5
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote:
BTW, these complete backups take almost 14 hours to complete - each.
How much and what sort of data are you backing up? If it takes 14 hours there must be something wrong?
You're backing up to an external USB(2) connected HDD correct?
I use MS imaging and backup (+ Macrium as secondary safeguard imaging utility).
Full image of my 456 GB partition takes around 20 minutes and about the same time when I've restored.
I have multiple user accounts on my computer and a full MS backup takes about the same time (maybe a little less).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2010   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
have been using the Windows backup functionality
This is a safe way to get yourself into trouble. I have yet to see the various windows backup facilities to work as expected. I am with Zturker - take an OEM product. I use free Macrium - after using a half dozen other products, I find Macrium to do the best job. But I do not like incrementals (you loose one you loose all). I always make full images. Takes just a few minutes (best time was 3.5 minutes for a full Win7 system). And disk space is so cheap these days, that this is my least worry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2010   #7
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Window Backup and Restore is a very safe, sound, reliable program.

Please use a product before you start to make judgments.

I've requested a disk management output snapshot.

There are many possible causes for an extremely slow full backup.

Any backup software will be slow if there is insufficient disk space.

Let us wait for the snapshot of his disk management output before jumping to conclusions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2010   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Karl, I hear you. I have used all Windows flavors in Vista and Win7 backup/restore and imaging and had problems all the time. Plus, I also saw a lot of members reporting their own troubles. That does not really inspire me. The least I can say - besides the "relative" reliability of the functions, they are unnecessarily complicated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2010   #9
elmo2006

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
post a snippet/snapshot of the output of disk management.

WIN key |type DISKMGMT.MSC | Enter key
Maximize the display

WIN key | type snipping | Enter

After all that post the snippet:
How to Post a Screenshot
Hi karlsnooks...

Here is the capture as requested...


Attached Thumbnails
Windows Backup Issues...-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2010   #10
elmo2006

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I make full images each time, so I can't confirm it should make only incremental backups after the first time. I did find this in windows help:



"After you create your first backup, Windows Backup will add new or changed information to your subsequent backups. If you're saving your backups on a hard drive or network location, Windows Backup will create a new, full backup for you automatically when needed. If you're saving your backups on CDs or DVDs and can't find an existing backup disc, or if you want to create a new backup of all of the files on your computer, you can create a full backup."

"Windows Backup keeps track of the files that have been added or modified since your last backup and then updates the existing backup, which saves disk space."

"Backups are created in sets known as backup periods. To help maximize your disk space, Windows Backup backs up all selected folders the first time it's run and then it only backs up files that are new or have been modified since the last backup was made. Periodically, Windows creates a new, full backup. Each full backup is known as a backup period. When you view your file backups, you see all of the backup periods labeled with date ranges. If you decide to delete file backups, you should always keep the most recent file backup."

A Guy
Awesome, this explains everything inregards to the backups.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Backup Issues...




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Major backup issues, now how to put restored files where they belong.
This backup was not a pleasant one. First, I spent time on the phone with the Western Digital guy setting up my My Passport Ultra and the WD backup. It successfully backed up all of my files, or so it indicated. And the Passport showed that it did indeed have the files. And then I immediately...
Backup and Restore
Having issues with backup system - need help
A few months back I upgraded to a haswell system and moved all my old parts to my backupsystem. Old parts to include motherboard, RAM, Processor, PS, 128 Gig SSDdrive. Here’s the specs… Antec P182 Case Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Intel i7-950 (3.06gig) 12 Gig Corsair Dominator GT RAM...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Huge issues with Windows Installer, Backup, Firewall and services
Hi, (This is my first post on these forums, tried Tom's Hardware countless times but have got no where) Please be patient as this is a huge post :p Around October last year I built my first PC (I'm 17) and was chuffed to finally fit the final piece of the puzzle, i.e. installing Windows. I...
Performance & Maintenance
Backup Issues.
I back up every day. I have an external 3 TB backup drive. I use windows utility to do the back up.Every time when the back up is finished, I see a message that the back up was not successful, giving me an option to do it again. When I go to the back up drive and check, it appears all my files are...
Backup and Restore
backup issues - error code 0x80005D
Tried to back up to an external HD, always fails and gives the error code 0x8078005D. Tried a system image backup and the same error came up... any ideas?
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App