Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Backup

13 Aug 2010   #11
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
As a user and devoted believer in the Win 7 Backup and Restore, I 100% recommend Win 7 Backup and Restore.

If you have any questions re the use thereof please ask. I'll be more than happy to answer them.

Win 7 Backup and Restore has saved me more than once.
I will, thanks. Technical support is certainly better than Macrium's.

A propos: I notice the backup file itself is 'Access denied'. I presume it is necessary to keep the 'Access denied' file mediaid.bin on the backup drive?

Unfortunate though, that Win-7's backup doesn't let you choose the folder and filename for your backup.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Aug 2010   #12
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cheemag View Post

Now that I've decided against Macrium, can anyone suggest how I can recover the 100M or so of disc space that it's reserved on the second HD for "System Reserved"?
False alarm - that partitition belongs to Windows-7, but why on earth is it empty?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2010   #13
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cheemag View Post

A propos: I notice the backup file itself is 'Access denied'. I presume it is necessary to keep the 'Access denied' file mediaid.bin on the backup drive?

Unfortunate though, that Win-7's backup doesn't let you choose the folder and filename for your backup.
True that the Access Denied is big brother MS trying to protect us from ourselves. Now I will tell you how to get around that.

One way around is to run the UAC slider all of the way down. Only do this when not connected to the Internet and run it back up to one down from maximum when your finished.

2nd way around is to copy the file and then paste into another folder on another drive, for example, to the \Documents folder.


Now to that folder naming problem: I agree. I would like to change the name before the I make the image backup. What you can do, and what I do to prevent Win7 from overwriting the system image when I make another scheduled backup is to rename the folder which actually contains the VHD file.
It's about 0500 hours here and I can't remember the name and am too lazy to reconnect my usb right now. Tomorrow, after I've slept some I'll get back with the precise folder name.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Aug 2010   #14
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cheemag View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cheemag View Post
Can anyone suggest how I can recover the 100M or so of disc space that it's reserved on the second HD for "System Reserved"?
False alarm - that partitition belongs to Windows-7, but why on earth is it empty?
Use the Snipping Tool or MS Paint make a snapshot of the maximized output of Disk Management (DISKMGMT.MSC) and attach to your next post.



https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2010   #15
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cheemag View Post
Unfortunate though, that Win-7's backup doesn't let you choose the folder and filename for your backup.
As promised, here's a snapshot of renaming After the Fact.

Windows 7 Backup-twobackupswitholdonerenamed.png

You will notice that the older (by about 1 day) of the two system images has been renamed. Thus, I have my original system image backup and the current backup on the same drive.

Inside the WindowImageBackup, be it old or new, is the system image made at that time. The system image file is a VHD file.

Here's a snapshot showing location of latest VHD.

Windows 7 Backup-locationofsystemimagevhd.png

If you would like to examine the VHD, then you can use Disk Management.

In Disk Management you "ATTACH" the VHD and the Virtual Hard Disk will be "attached" (also called "mounted") on a drive which you can open/explore/etc.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2010   #16
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cheemag View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cheemag View Post
Can anyone suggest how I can recover the 100M or so of disc space that it's reserved on the second HD for "System Reserved"?
False alarm - that partitition belongs to Windows-7, but why on earth is it empty?
Use the Snipping Tool or MS Paint make a snapshot of the maximized output of Disk Management (DISKMGMT.MSC) and attach to your next post.
There you go, there's nothing below the two DVD drives:


Attached Thumbnails
Windows 7 Backup-dskmgmtdsc.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2010   #17
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cheemag View Post

A propos: I notice the backup file itself is 'Access denied'. I presume it is necessary to keep the 'Access denied' file mediaid.bin on the backup drive?

Unfortunate though, that Win-7's backup doesn't let you choose the folder and filename for your backup.
True that the Access Denied is big brother MS trying to protect us from ourselves. Now I will tell you how to get around that.

One way around is to run the UAC slider all of the way down. Only do this when not connected to the Internet and run it back up to one down from maximum when your finished.

2nd way around is to copy the file and then paste into another folder on another drive, for example, to the \Documents folder.
Don't know if there is much point. Is there anything in there of any use other than the file itself when re-installing?

Quote:
Now to that folder naming problem: I agree. I would like to change the name before the I make the image backup. What you can do, and what I do to prevent Win7 from overwriting the system image when I make another scheduled backup is to rename the folder which actually contains the VHD file.
It's about 0500 hours here and I can't remember the name and am too lazy to reconnect my usb right now. Tomorrow, after I've slept some I'll get back with the precise folder name.
It's m:\windowsimagebackup in my case. I'd prefer to take a full backup each time, so I don't suppose there would be a problem with the file being overwritten.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2010   #18
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

That 100 MB partition is used for recovery purposes. You will notice that, from the Disk Management snapshot, that the partition is not empty.

You can live without it or with it. I've deleted it on the laptop I'm using to send this post. I've not deleted from my netbook--just laziness on my part--after all it's only 100 MB. It's only gone from this laptop because I wanted to see if I could delete it.

Google System Reserved Partition for more info.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2010   #19
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cheemag View Post
Unfortunate though, that Win-7's backup doesn't let you choose the folder and filename for your backup.
As promised, here's a snapshot of renaming After the Fact.

Attachment 91026

You will notice that the older (by about 1 day) of the two system images has been renamed. Thus, I have my original system image backup and the current backup on the same drive.

Inside the WindowImageBackup, be it old or new, is the system image made at that time. The system image file is a VHD file.

Here's a snapshot showing location of latest VHD.

Attachment 91027

If you would like to examine the VHD, then you can use Disk Management.

In Disk Management you "ATTACH" the VHD and the Virtual Hard Disk will be "attached" (also called "mounted") on a drive which you can open/explore/etc.
Not sure I'm following all of that, but it might explain where the provenance of a ghost drive G: which appeared on the system yesterday, but is gone today.

I don't know how it got there, but I didn't mount it deliberately.

Useful if you can explore the backup and select individual files to replace. The Macrium backup allows this. In fact it seems the ghost drive is created when you explore the Macrium backup file.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2010   #20
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
That 100 MB partition is used for recovery purposes. You will notice that, from the Disk Management snapshot, that the partition is not empty.
Yes, some 30M used.

Quote:
You can live without it or with it. I've deleted it on the laptop I'm using to send this post. I've not deleted from my netbook--just laziness on my part--after all it's only 100 MB. It's only gone from this laptop because I wanted to see if I could delete it.

Google System Reserved Partition for more info.
Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Backup




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Backup and Restore fails to create backup
I've used Windows Backup and Restore successfully on many occasions but I now get the error "0x81000037: Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up" and I don't understand it. I've spent hours researching this issue and cannot seem to...
Backup and Restore
(windows Backup) deleting old backup states simple question
I got a simple question, let me explain it like an example: Let's say I backup 100GB of data with Windows Backup and over the time where I do all my backups there is like only 30GB of data which changed from those 100GB and also new files were added. Now my external drive is full. When I now delete...
Backup and Restore
When Backup Runs, Windows Reports Backup Target Disk Removed
My Win 7 x64 machine (Dell) has three hard drives in it. The original 2TB Seagate with the operating system on it, C:, a 2TB WD used for data storage,F:, ..and a 1TB Seagate repurposed from the XP computer it replaced. That last drive contains only data as that was its purpose in the previous...
Backup and Restore
Backup takes 800GB? Manage Windows Backup Disk Space
How do I control how much disk space my Windows Backup takes up? I have a 1TB external disk for backups and other files. My computer's HDD only has about 250GB capacity. I don't know why my backups file got so bloated. What should I do? I see that I can delete the older backup file: 22-Oct to...
Backup and Restore
system image backup - how does windows pick the drives to backup?
Hi From times to times I load my disk image backup from win7 system and install the new programs/drivers i was using and save a new backup. I usually to do this by backing up my C: drive, but this turn to my surprise, windows for some reason wants to backup C and D, is it possible to pick a...
Backup and Restore
Windows Backup vs 3rd party Backup solution.
Checking out the windows backup option bundled with the OS.. In the past, I have used an older version of Acronis to build backup jobs, etc. The new backup looks to be pretty good initially, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with how well it performs... I know I have been asking a...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App