Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows backup

29 Aug 2010   #11
eldinv

DOS^
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eldinv View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
I agree 100%. I have tried Macruim and Paragon in the past but Windows Image Backup is the best.
I tried Windows Backup, and it works and serves it purpose.

I enjoy Macrium for its usability and for its speedy process; both in imaging and recovery.

Windows Backup simply takes forever, for each process.

It's good for users to know there are options out there and people can decide which they prefer.
I don't know what you did wrong when you say it takes forever, because it only took maybe 10 min to make the image and 5 min to install the image. I couldn't ask for anything easier with no third party software to install.
I want to apologize, I was in fact doing something WRONG, I was using the back up files option, and that really does take FOREVER.

As far a just doing a system image using Windows it only took 5 minutes to image my OS partition which is 20GB. Macrium Reflect was only seconds faster, good to know!

Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Aug 2010   #12
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

When you select "Let me Choose" you have the option to create a system image in addition to a file backup. I always untick this and create an image when I decide to using the "Create a system Image" option over on the left not in "Backup".
If you create just a file backup which is stored as something like "your PC name". Dig inside there and the large data storage files are a number of *.zip files.
You can create an image along with (in addition to) your regular file backup if you so choose and this is what windows will generally do when you select "let windows choose". The image lives in the (again protected) folder called "WindowsImageBackup". Dig inside here and you will typically find one *.vhd file per partition imaged.

Just seen the response above which perhaps makes this redundant.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2010   #13
1Bowtie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eldinv View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 1Bowtie View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eldinv View Post

I tried Windows Backup, and it works and serves it purpose.

I enjoy Macrium for its usability and for its speedy process; both in imaging and recovery.

Windows Backup simply takes forever, for each process.

It's good for users to know there are options out there and people can decide which they prefer.
I don't know what you did wrong when you say it takes forever, because it only took maybe 10 min to make the image and 5 min to install the image. I couldn't ask for anything easier with no third party software to install.
I want to apologize, I was in fact doing something WRONG, I was using the back up files option, and that really does take FOREVER.

As far a just doing a system image using Windows it only took 5 minutes to image my OS partition which is 20GB. Macrium Reflect was only seconds faster, good to know!

Thanks!
No apologize's nessecary, it was a learning experience for me also. Glad it worked and hopefully people who don't use any backup will read this and learn from it. Backup, backup, backup, when your computer fails for whatever reason, your minutes away from being back up and running like nothing ever happened.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Aug 2010   #14
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi all
I've been doing backups ever since Windows 95 and have tried most packages.
Even today IMO Acronis is the fastest and most reliable - especially if you are backing up to external HDD's or even Tape devices since it will span volumes where necessary and restores can be done also from bootable media making a Bare Metal recovery simple.

I don't like Windows recovery since it has a problem with "spanned devices" (multiple volumes) and is not very good at single or selective DIRECTORY restores when needed.

Most people's data is probably worth a lot more than the computer it's on so IMO paying a small amount of money -- around 45 USD-- for a FAST commercial program like Acronis is well worth it.

The other advantage this type of software has is that you can do Incremental backups say during the week and a full one once a week --all scheduled automatically too.

The stand alone bootable media (acronis) can also backup your LINUX partitions too.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2010   #15
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

I agree with Jimbo on this one... Acronis is my backup program of choice... That being said, the most important point that seems to be overlooked here is that more and more users are finally taking imaging seriously. It never fails to amazes me how many users ( novice and experienced alike ) fail to make this simple, and IMO, most important step part of their backup policy. It only takes minutes to completely restore a backup image, and once you have, you'll be a convert! Well done everyone!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2010   #16
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I think this is a good discussion. But what counts at the end of the day is that the user uses backup and imaging at all. I am a Macrium fan and have a lot of trouble with the win7 imaging, but if that works for someone, that is just as good. Acronis, Paragon, Norton Ghost ( which I used for a long time with Vista) and a few more are excellent options too. Just make sure you use any - and frequently. At least once per week.
I have programmed Macrium to take an image every morning when I boot the system. It takes a minor amount of work to manage the images once per week, but at least I can always set back to a very recent state.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2010   #17
1Bowtie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Everybody has their favorate backup program and you all have valid opinions, at the end of the day if we can make a strong enough point that PEOPLE NEED TO MAKE BACKUP'S on a regular bacis. The work on this forum would be cut in half, because they would have the means to get back to a running computer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2010   #18
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

very true.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2010   #19
Maxxwire

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 



I store both Macrium Reflect and Windows System Image backups on my 3 1TB and 2TB backup drives. I keep more Reflect backups because they are 1/3 the size, but I do Windows backups each week. I find both of these Backup Programs to be very fast as well as easy to use.

~Maxx~
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2010   #20
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Maxxwire,
Interesting graphic.

Since you are knowledgeable in the ways of backups and restores, you might want to consider taking a look at SyncToy.

SnycToy will give you very fast, simple, straightforward Folder backup.

I've switched over to using Win 7 Backup And Restore for Image backups and using SyncToy for data backups. However, everyone's needs and objectives are different. Just an idea to take a gander at and see what it can do and can not do.

Download details: SyncToy 2.1
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows backup




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Backup and Restore fails to create backup
I've used Windows Backup and Restore successfully on many occasions but I now get the error "0x81000037: Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up" and I don't understand it. I've spent hours researching this issue and cannot seem to...
Backup and Restore
(windows Backup) deleting old backup states simple question
I got a simple question, let me explain it like an example: Let's say I backup 100GB of data with Windows Backup and over the time where I do all my backups there is like only 30GB of data which changed from those 100GB and also new files were added. Now my external drive is full. When I now delete...
Backup and Restore
When Backup Runs, Windows Reports Backup Target Disk Removed
My Win 7 x64 machine (Dell) has three hard drives in it. The original 2TB Seagate with the operating system on it, C:, a 2TB WD used for data storage,F:, ..and a 1TB Seagate repurposed from the XP computer it replaced. That last drive contains only data as that was its purpose in the previous...
Backup and Restore
Backup takes 800GB? Manage Windows Backup Disk Space
How do I control how much disk space my Windows Backup takes up? I have a 1TB external disk for backups and other files. My computer's HDD only has about 250GB capacity. I don't know why my backups file got so bloated. What should I do? I see that I can delete the older backup file: 22-Oct to...
Backup and Restore
system image backup - how does windows pick the drives to backup?
Hi From times to times I load my disk image backup from win7 system and install the new programs/drivers i was using and save a new backup. I usually to do this by backing up my C: drive, but this turn to my surprise, windows for some reason wants to backup C and D, is it possible to pick a...
Backup and Restore
Windows Backup vs 3rd party Backup solution.
Checking out the windows backup option bundled with the OS.. In the past, I have used an older version of Acronis to build backup jobs, etc. The new backup looks to be pretty good initially, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with how well it performs... I know I have been asking a...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:13.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App