Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Macrium Reflect Restore problems

15 Jan 2011   #31
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

payware (and some freeware) offer a few more features - such as reflect can save and restore your image files to/from a network location, for example.

and do you need payware, now that you have established that macrium reflect free works for you?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Jan 2011   #32
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

I don't use any pay ware.
I also use the Windows Backup and System Image and System Restore.
I also use the Free Macrium.


I have Windows System Images and backups. I used Windows System Image and recovered my C- Win 7 just a couple of weeks ago

Macrium
One full image of my hard drive. Unused yet.
Two images of C- Win 7. Older and new. Unused yet.
I use a dual boot with XP so I have two images of it seperately.
I had to reimage XP about a month ago.
One image wouldn't work. It was made when I first installed the XP. The second newer one worked like a charm.
I deleted the old bad one and made a new so I still have two.

My storage hard drive is 640GB internal so room is not a problem so why not use it.

I made it incremental of sorts by making multiple images. Full, Win7 and XP. Not as fancy as the payware but works for me.
Mike
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2011   #33
OnTheRopes

Windows Prox64
 
 

Thanks again guys, Hopalong that looks like a good strategy I think I will start out by following that until I know if I want anything else.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jan 2011   #34
Ponmayilal

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
.......My storage hard drive is 640GB internal so room is not a problem so why not use it....
Mike
While what backup software one would use and what strategy one would employ can depend upon the individual needs, his usage, requirements, whims and fancies, by virtue of the fact that an internal HDD is always on and hence likely to fail much earlier than an external HDD which is plugged in/run only when necessary, cannot be disputed.

Whether internal or external, catastrophic failures can always happen and this totally unpredictable happening can by no means be cited to put them on an equal footing for the backup. One has to only consider what will happen in the normal course.

I always retain one copy of the latest backup on another partition of the internal drive while the external holds atleast the last three. If one fails, I always have one on the other.

For the simple reason that the reads and writes on a CD/DVD/BD can be questionable, these should be avoided. Do not believe that your recovery CD is always going to read right. Make an ISO image of it and back it up too on your external drive if you are not using boot from ISOs method. The bootable pendrive - yes, I periodically check that I can run the recovery module from it so that at no time I am left in the lurch.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2011   #35
OnTheRopes

Windows Prox64
 
 

Quote:
Do not believe that your recovery CD is always going to read right. Make an ISO image of it and back it up too on your external drive if you are not using boot from ISOs method.
Good idea
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #36
chuckles1066

Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Help!!

I encountered a similar error message to the OP.

No problem, I have my CD which boots fine. Except it will only give me the option of looking at drive c: or drive d: (DVDRW) for the relevant image.

That doesn't help, the image is on a logical drive (j.

I've managed to restore all my other partitions but I'm stuck where c: is concerned......I did try and use the Macrium support forum but they seem to only want to give advice to people who've bought the product.

Fair enough but it doesn't help the rest of us!

I copied the image over onto the c: drive and tried again but no joy.

Any advice?

Many thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #37
winsupertweaker

W7 64 Bit
 
 

A couple of very important things to keep in mind before creating a system backup. One, you want a second internal or external hard drive. (DVD's are too slow and not as handy for an entire system backup). Secondly, you want to make certain that your C: Drive is free of infections before installing your backup software. Run two or three different anti-malware programs (malwarebytes.org) is a good place to start. If you find infections, don't bother to clean them. Reinstall your system, your programs, and get all Windows Updates manually (a much faster process then waiting for them to automatically download and install). Then make a Master copy of your C: Drive on a second hard drive.

I do this every week with computers around the world, Macrium is a good free product, but you do have to insert the recovery disk into your optical drive and boot to that disk.

On some computers, the boot screen will give you options to press a key and choose which device you want to boot from. Other's will have you press a key to enter BIOS to change your boot order. If you're lucky like me, I have an Acer that gives me 5 seconds to choose one of three keys, F12 allows me to choose which device I want to boot from, in this case, it would be my Optical Drive containing the Recovery Disk.

That's a lot of information I know, but as time goes by, this text tutorial will be convenient for you and others who are delving into the most important task all computer owners should do on a weekly, if not daily, basis. Backing-up the entire computer system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2011   #38
chuckles1066

Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Niceget View Post
A couple of very important things to keep in mind before creating a system backup. One, you want a second internal or external hard drive. (DVD's are too slow and not as handy for an entire system backup). Secondly, you want to make certain that your C: Drive is free of infections before installing your backup software. Run two or three different anti-malware programs (malwarebytes.org) is a good place to start. If you find infections, don't bother to clean them. Reinstall your system, your programs, and get all Windows Updates manually (a much faster process then waiting for them to automatically download and install). Then make a Master copy of your C: Drive on a second hard drive.

I do this every week with computers around the world, Macrium is a good free product, but you do have to insert the recovery disk into your optical drive and boot to that disk.

On some computers, the boot screen will give you options to press a key and choose which device you want to boot from. Other's will have you press a key to enter BIOS to change your boot order. If you're lucky like me, I have an Acer that gives me 5 seconds to choose one of three keys, F12 allows me to choose which device I want to boot from, in this case, it would be my Optical Drive containing the Recovery Disk.

That's a lot of information I know, but as time goes by, this text tutorial will be convenient for you and others who are delving into the most important task all computer owners should do on a weekly, if not daily, basis. Backing-up the entire computer system.
Thank you for that but a generic copy-and-paste from a tutorial isn't going to be of much use I'm afraid.

Maybe I wasn't clear in describing my problem and I apologise if that is the case.

From the CD Recovery Disc, how do I get the program to "see" my drive j: which is where my c: drive image and xml file are saved?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Macrium Reflect Restore problems




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Time to Restore Image - Acronis, Macrium Reflect, Windows 7
I recently restored my Windows 7 disk using Acronis Western Digital Edition, Macrium Reflect, and Windows 7. See results below for both creating the image and restoring the image. The compressed image files were all in the range of 45-50 GB. The associated boot DVD was used in all cases to...
Backup and Restore
Restore a file from Macrium Reflect Free
Good morning, forum. I created 2 images of my laptop c: partition with Macrium Reflect Free. The first one with Windows 7 and updates and the second one with OS, updates and drivers. There is a file I need to recover from the first image. Will Macrium Reflect Free allow me to get this file...
Backup and Restore
restore file using Macrium Reflect free
I have never had the need to restore deleted folders or files; so I decided to create a test folder containing a test file on my desktop. I used "image this disk" to create an image backup and then deleted the test folder. The instructions included in the help files do not follow exactly what I...
Backup and Restore
Restore to another drive with Macrium Reflect
My objective: multiple backups of my "C" drive. And I would like the "other" drive to be bootable (I can easily switch boot drives in my BIOS) -- which means it can't be in the compressed format and has to have a correctly populated boot sector. I've just loaded the free trial of Macrium...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect v5 restore
This morning I had to restore an image using Macrium. The image was only 5 days old. I had made both the Linux and Pe rescue disks. The Linux disk did NOT work at all. The PE rescue disk loaded and first it did not load 3 drivers, but I did a scan and it found the drivers and loaded them. ...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect - How do you restore
I have been looking at this software and it looks great so far. However when reading the documentation I notice to make a restore disk you need to purchase software. SO when using the free edition how are you managing your restore when needed? :confused: Macrium Reflect Backup and Hard Disk...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App