Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: will restore cd's work as dual boot?

02 Jul 2009   #11
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

no experience with backup DVD/cd's. but you can use an install disk on other computers. My gateway pc came with an install disk for Home premium, and my roommate used it to reinstall on his hp computer. He did use his own license for activation tho.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Jul 2009   #12
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grouchpunk08 View Post
no experience with backup DVD/cd's. but you can use an install disk on other computers. My gateway pc came with an install disk for Home premium, and my roommate used it to reinstall on his hp computer. He did use his own license for activation tho.
Thats odd, perhaps its just HP Recovery Discs that doesn't allow cross model installs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2009   #13
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGundam View Post
Thats odd, perhaps its just HP Recovery Discs that doesn't allow cross model installs.
Idk if it would be considered a recovery disk, its a full install Home premium disk that had 64 and 32 bit on it. I didn't have to make it, it came with my laptop when I bought it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Jul 2009   #14
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grouchpunk08 View Post
Idk if it would be considered a recovery disk, its a full install Home premium disk that had 64 and 32 bit on it. I didn't have to make it, it came with my laptop when I bought it.
Ahh, see I couldn't use my Compaq Recovery Discs on my HP Laptop, nor the other way around. (Since Compaq is owned by HP I consider them all one).

Is it considered illegal to download a copy of Windows XP/Vista to make a new copy (I lose them frequently), I have the product keys :) lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2009   #15
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGundam View Post
Ahh, see I couldn't use my Compaq Recovery Discs on my HP Laptop, nor the other way around. (Since Compaq is owned by HP I consider them all one).

Is it considered illegal to download a copy of Windows XP/Vista to make a new copy (I lose them frequently), I have the product keys :) lol
I'm not certain on the legality of it, but the way I always looked at it, you can install an operating system without the key and use it for thirty days. So the way I look at it is if you have the key that you bought, I don't think it matters where the original media comes from. Not sure if its legal to download it, but then again as long as you activate with your key I don't think they would come track you down. The way it seems to me is you buy the license key. Cuz a disk by itself is worthless
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2009   #16
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grouchpunk08 View Post
I'm not certain on the legality of it, but the way I always looked at it, you can install an operating system without the key and use it for thirty days. So the way I look at it is if you have the key that you bought, I don't think it matters where the original media comes from. Not sure if its legal to download it, but then again as long as you activate with your key I don't think they would come track you down. The way it seems to me is you buy the license key. Cuz a disk by itself is worthless
Okay, back to the original question of the thread I suppose :)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 will restore cd's work as dual boot?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
I can't boot and no restore points work...
I have a HP Windows 64 Ultimate computer that gets stuck loading drivers (according to the ntbtlog.txt log) resulting in 7 just rebooting at the Windows logo splash screen. I was using IOBIT's Advanced SystemCare trying to speed up a slow computer. For whatever reason, this program, which is...
Backup and Restore
Will Macrium restore work without being able to boot W7.
can no longer boot up my 9 year old Dell PC I have tried many recommendations from W7 forum users ..booting from the OS rescue disc etc all to no avail They all result in a windows blue screen with out the windows logo with a branch and white bird image on the right side and a larger cursor...
Backup and Restore
Restore points missing from windows 7 after i boot in Xp(dual boot)
I have dual boot with Xp and windows 7.when i log into my Xp all the restore points being deleted from windows 7. when i check the disk management information in 7 it shows windows 7 create a logical drive with my Xp primary drive.even i am hide the drive from both windows means Xp drive from...
Performance & Maintenance
dual boot VISTA/Win 7 does not work
My PC has VISTA home premium x64 installed. After purchasing Win 7 Pro I decided not to upgrade VISTA, rather dual boot for now. Installing W7 onto a clean HDD I can boot directly to it and can select which drive to boot from via the F12 key at boot up I installed easyBCD onto the VISTA OS...
Installation & Setup
How do I get a dual boot setup to work right?
hi all, I want to dual boot windows 7 and windows xp pro. What is happening is - the OS that was most recently installed is the one that works. I don't get any choice to choose during boot-up. I didn't have this problem with the windows 7 RC1. How can I set this up so I can choose the...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+