Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Acronis True Image Home 2010 / SSD / Try and Decide

06 Jul 2011   #11
stereo

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
You don't need to assign a size to the Virtual disk it is in ram and ATI will decide what size.
Okay, i'll give it a try, now
Be right back
LE : Here i have 2 options to modify C
Do i have to change them, both, to D ? Would be better ?
Thanks




Attached Thumbnails
Acronis True Image Home 2010 / SSD / Try and Decide-ati.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Jul 2011   #12
HammerHead

win 7 X64 Ultimate SP1
 
 
Misconceptions

Let the software assign the disk letter. None of the data goes to your "real" disks until your choose save. The virtual disk will operate just as if you were on your boot disk. (The virtual disk is in ram not on a physical disk)
Example: Try and Decide working and I install fubar software. The installation asks me where to install. I pick D:\programs\fubar and everything progresses. I try out fubar and i decide to keep the changes. So I do a save when I close Try and Decide. Fubar will be written to D: disk as I designated. My registry will be updated and the software shows up as if I had never heard of Try and Decide. But lets say I didn't like the new software. So I do a discard when I close Try and Decide. AtI dismounts the virtual disk and does not save any changes (The changes are in ram). My disks are now in the same state they were before I tried out the new software.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #13
stereo

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Let the software assign the disk letter. None of the data goes to your "real" disks until your choose save. The virtual disk will operate just as if you were on your boot disk. (The virtual disk is in ram not on a physical disk)
Example: Try and Decide working and I install fubar software. The installation asks me where to install. I pick D:\programs\fubar and everything progresses. I try out fubar and i decide to keep the changes. So I do a save when I close Try and Decide. Fubar will be written to D: disk as I designated. My registry will be updated and the software shows up as if I had never heard of Try and Decide. But lets say I didn't like the new software. So I do a discard when I close Try and Decide. AtI dismounts the virtual disk and does not save any changes (The changes are in ram). My disks are now in the same state they were before I tried out the new software.
I understand perfect But i don't want ( in case i wanna keep Fubar ) installed on D

" The installation asks me where to install. I pick D:\programs\fubar and everything progresses. I try out fubar and i decide to keep the changes. So I do a save when I close Try and Decide. Fubar will be written to D: disk as I designated "
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jul 2011   #14
HammerHead

win 7 X64 Ultimate SP1
 
 
Screen Snip

I see what maybe causing some confusion. Contrary to what I said about ram T&D might use some space temporarily on your boot disk. But I stress it is temporary.

Attachment 163542
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #15
HammerHead

win 7 X64 Ultimate SP1
 
 
Install Location

Your the boss install to Q:\ if you like. Just pick an existing real location.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #16
stereo

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Your the boss install to Q:\ if you like. Just pick an existing real location.
I'll try it right now.
Be right back.
Okay.
I changed C on Try and Decide, picked up D.
After that i installed Mozilla Firefox 8 Nightly Alpha 1 on D:\ Try and Decide \ Mozilla test
Reboot - discard changes
Mozilla Firefox 8 Nightly Alpha 1 is not there anymore So far, so good.
If i wanted to save changes, Mozilla Firefox 8 Nightly Alpha 1 would be installed on D, which is not recomended.
If i would choice to install Mozilla Firefox 8 Nightly Alpha 1 on C:\Mozilla test, after Reboot - discard changes, Mozilla Firefox 8 Nightly Alpha 1 would be still on C, which is NOT good
Now, let me ask you something else about Acronis restore / SSD /
Is that true that is not recomended to restore the backup image, often, because SSD's are very "tender" ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #17
HammerHead

win 7 X64 Ultimate SP1
 
 
SSD

SSD has a calcualted life. It will withstand so many reads and writes. Using T&D results in reads and writes. Booting up your computer results in reads and writes. Downloading and reading email results in reads and writes. Creating and saving a text file results in reads and writes. It is like breathing. There is nothing unusual about T&D it results in reads and writes. You could unhook the disk and put it in the closet on a shelf and it might last longer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #18
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

The only reason I recommended keeping your temporary space on another drive other than your C drive, was simply to prevent any slowdowns.

As mentioned, once try and Decide is activated, any change what-so-ever will be stored in the virtual space assigned to it.
No changes are actually made to your installation.

Things may run a bit slower while its active, since its keeping track of/and writting all new DATA to the virtual Enviroment.
This may not be that noticeable with a SSD, but it will speed the process of discarding or applying changes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2011   #19
stereo

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post




I would just doing a Full disc image of the SSD, and restoring it in that same manner, rather than by partition. Although that would work fine as well, a full image is easiest IMHO.
Can you tell me how to do that, please ?
What option do you choice, like in the picture ?
Thank you.


Attached Thumbnails
Acronis True Image Home 2010 / SSD / Try and Decide-acronis-ti.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2011   #20
stereo

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
SSD has a calcualted life. It will withstand so many reads and writes. Using T&D results in reads and writes. Booting up your computer results in reads and writes. Downloading and reading email results in reads and writes. Creating and saving a text file results in reads and writes. It is like breathing. There is nothing unusual about T&D it results in reads and writes. You could unhook the disk and put it in the closet on a shelf and it might last longer.
I didn't mean to keep my SSD on the shelf.
That's why i buy it, to use the SSD... but i don't wanna buy another one, in 10-12 months
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Acronis True Image Home 2010 / SSD / Try and Decide




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Acronis true Image Home 2010
I put the recovery disk into my windows 7 64 bit using Acronis true Image Home 2010 and it boots up giving me two choice one is "Acronis true Image Home Full Version" and the second is return to Windows so I click on the first one but the screen remain blank My other computer launch but I have one...
Backup and Restore
Acronis True Image Home
I Image my C drive on the 2nd partition of the same drive. I then copied the image to an external drive. If I lose my drive that my C drive is on and then replace it with a new drive can I Image from my external drive to the new Hard drive and it will be the same size and make? The reason for this...
Backup and Restore
Acronis True Image Home 2010
I have a WD HD with backup software but I was just wondering if Acronis True Image Home 2010 Backup might be better. Usually the software that comes with a product is not as good as a 3rd party that specialize in it?
Backup and Restore
Acronis True Image 2010 bootloader
I have a new HP Pavilion DV6 2113SA running 7 HP 64. The Acronis bootloader (ISOLinux, from a link supplied by Acronis) gets to the ramdisk loading......... but then sits there with a blank screen, the CD works on another system OK although it is a 32 bit system. Is there anything in this...
Backup and Restore
Acronis® True Image Home 2010
I have XP, Vista, and Windows 7 and this will back them all up. Windows 7 backup is crap because it wants to back up the entire hard drive not counting other things it won't do. I'm a retired Computer Pro but I cannot see getting anything except the home version. I got Vista Ultimate and that was a...
Backup and Restore
Acronis True Image Home 11 - is it OK with 7
Does anyone have any experience of using Acronis True Image Home 11 with Seven :geek: I use it with XP to make my backup images. Am I safe to use with Seven. Thanks,
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App