Backup Partition Protection


  1. Posts : 30
    windows 7 home premium x64
       #1

    Backup Partition Protection


    Hi all,
    At the 1st time, I made a windows 7 backup partition by "Backup and Restore"..
    But a question is risen in my mind
    That is: I made a backup partition but it looks like a normal partition. So I think it may be affected by virus or other dangerous things..
    So how can I save the backup partition from these things
    Or, backup partition serves extra protection to save itself from the dangerous things ?????

    Thanks...
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 25,847
    Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709 Windows 7 Pro/64
       #2

    In my opinion a backup should not just be a partition it should be a complete different drive. If they are on the same drive and the drive fails you have lost access to your operating system partition as well as your backup partition.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 30
    windows 7 home premium x64
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Layback Bear said:
    In my opinion a backup should not just be a partition it should be a complete different drive. If they are on the same drive and the drive fails you have lost access to your operating system partition as well as your backup partition.
    Thanks for comment..
    But it is not possible to me to buy External HDD...
    Have you know how can I increase the security of backup partition...???????
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 25,847
    Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709 Windows 7 Pro/64
       #4

    If you can access the backup partition a virus can access the backup partition.
    I personally don't know how you can protect one partition more than the other one on the same drive.

    Don't get in a hurry their is a good chance other members have some ideas.
      My Computer


  5. whs
    Posts : 26,210
    Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
       #5

    I agree with LB. A backup on a partition that resides on the same physical drive is pretty useless. The main thing is that you backup your own data because that you can never recover without a backup. The OS can always be reconstructed one way or another.

    I would also not worry so much about a virus in your data but about a failure of the drive. If you cannot get an external HDD, I suggest you work with a large USB stick or even a large SD card. Those options are not too expensive. I recently bought a 32GB USB2 stick for $15.99 - but that was in the US on sale at Newegg.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 30
    windows 7 home premium x64
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Layback Bear said:
    If you can access the backup partition a virus can access the backup partition.
    I personally don't know how you can protect one partition more than the other one on the same drive.

    Don't get in a hurry their is a good chance other members have some ideas.
    Thanks...
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 30
    windows 7 home premium x64
    Thread Starter
       #7

    whs said:
    I agree with LB. A backup on a partition that resides on the same physical drive is pretty useless. The main thing is that you backup your own data because that you can never recover without a backup. The OS can always be reconstructed one way or another.

    I would also not worry so much about a virus in your data but about a failure of the drive. If you cannot get an external HDD, I suggest you work with a large USB stick or even a large SD card. Those options are not too expensive. I recently bought a 32GB USB2 stick for $15.99 - but that was in the US on sale at Newegg.
    Thanks for comment...
    I have a pen drive size 32 GB of Transcend...
    Can I use this for backup..????
      My Computer


  8. whs
    Posts : 26,210
    Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
       #8

    rx123yz said:
    whs said:
    I agree with LB. A backup on a partition that resides on the same physical drive is pretty useless. The main thing is that you backup your own data because that you can never recover without a backup. The OS can always be reconstructed one way or another.

    I would also not worry so much about a virus in your data but about a failure of the drive. If you cannot get an external HDD, I suggest you work with a large USB stick or even a large SD card. Those options are not too expensive. I recently bought a 32GB USB2 stick for $15.99 - but that was in the US on sale at Newegg.
    Thanks for comment...
    I have a pen drive size 32 GB of Transcend...
    Can I use this for backup..????
    Sure you can use that as long as the amount of data that you want to backup will fit. If your C partition is less than appr. 50GB, you could even store an image of the whole partition on it - but use free Macrium for that.

    Imaging with free Macrium
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 30
    windows 7 home premium x64
    Thread Starter
       #9

    I have found a software named: "Deep Freeze"
    Which provides a interesting thing to me
    By this soft I can freeze the partition at time
    I copy or delete anything from this partition & restart my pc. The partition is freezed with that time I freeze that..
    Will it work better ???
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 30
    windows 7 home premium x64
    Thread Starter
       #10

    whs said:
    rx123yz said:
    whs said:
    I agree with LB. A backup on a partition that resides on the same physical drive is pretty useless. The main thing is that you backup your own data because that you can never recover without a backup. The OS can always be reconstructed one way or another.

    I would also not worry so much about a virus in your data but about a failure of the drive. If you cannot get an external HDD, I suggest you work with a large USB stick or even a large SD card. Those options are not too expensive. I recently bought a 32GB USB2 stick for $15.99 - but that was in the US on sale at Newegg.
    Thanks for comment...
    I have a pen drive size 32 GB of Transcend...
    Can I use this for backup..????
    Sure you can use that as long as the amount of data that you want to backup will fit. If your C partition is less than appr. 50GB, you could even store an image of the whole partition on it - but use free Macrium for that.

    Imaging with free Macrium
    Thanks I will try that..
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08.
Find Us