Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Disk Imaging Software Creating Browsable Image

25 Feb 2018   #11
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Carob View Post
I agree. But you still need Macrium installed to open the cloned file. The "Explore Image" option, which is what I believe you are referring to, only appears if Macrium is installed. I tried this the other day.
I've been using Macrium Reflect for years so I know what I'm talking about. I've made numerous clones and even more images so I know darned well a clone is not the same as an image. They are two separate things. What is it going to take to get that across to you?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Feb 2018   #12
Carob

Windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
A clone is not an image file.

Cloning is just copying a partition/disk to another partition/disk. Lots of software can do disk/partition copying. Aomei partition assistant, for example.

If you want to create and view an image file, the closest to what you want is windows system image. The windows system image is saved as a .vhd. Double clicking it mounts it to a drive which you can browse with windows explorer - no 3rd party software required.
Right. That's why I said "or".

The vhd is really only for restoring an entire system. The process for mounting it is not going to sit well with the people who would be needing it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2018   #13
Carob

Windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I've been using Macrium Reflect for years so I know what I'm talking about. I've made numerous clones and even more images so I know darned well a clone is not the same as an image. They are two separate things. What is it going to take to get that across to you?
I never said they were the same.

If you are able to create either a clone or image using Macrium, and then take that file to another computer, and then mount that image (without using Macrium or any other 3rd party software) to browse, open files, etc., then by all means point me to the documentation that describes how because I can't find it. I would love to be able to do what you say but I don't see it anywhere in their documentation. Or in the software itself. Keep in mind I'm not looking to clone a drive to another drive. I'm looking to clone or image a drive to a file that can be stored anywhere.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Feb 2018   #14
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Carob View Post
...I'm looking to clone or image a drive to a file that can be stored anywhere.
Ok, that clarifies things a bit. You do not clone to a file. A clone is an exact copy of something. If you clone a drive, then you will have a duplicate drive. If the drive you want to keep the data on is large enough, you could partition it and clone the first drive to that partition but I don't know why you would want to do that.

You do image to a file (actually, an image is a file). An image will always require the software that created it to be able to browse it.

Exactly what is it you are trying to accomplish? A backup of a computer? Making data on a computer accessible to a server so other computers can also access it? What kind of data are you talking about? Data, such as documents, photos, music, videos, etc. or System files (OS and programs)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2018   #15
Carob

Windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Ok, that clarifies things a bit. You do not clone to a file. A clone is an exact copy of something. If you clone a drive, then you will have a duplicate drive. If the drive you want to keep the data on is large enough, you could partition it and clone the first drive to that partition but I don't know why you would want to do that.

You do image to a file (actually, an image is a file). An image will always require the software that created it to be able to browse it.

Exactly what is it you are trying to accomplish? A backup of a computer? Making data on a computer accessible to a server so other computers can also access it? What kind of data are you talking about? Data, such as documents, photos, music, videos, etc. or System files (OS and programs)?
Exactly. Everything I know about requires the software that created the image and/or clone to open/view the image/clone. I'm looking for something that doesn't require that. Something that can be open/viewed directly within Windows. A vhd is a possibility but it's a bit klunky to get mounted. And the people requiring this will not want to do that. Not looking for a backup solution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2018   #16
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Not sure you will get what you want.

1. If you do a clone, there is no "file" to open. It is a copy onto to hard drive.

2. If you make an image file, then software is required to mount/view it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2018   #17
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Carob View Post
Exactly. Everything I know about requires the software that created the image and/or clone to open/view the image/clone. I'm looking for something that doesn't require that. Something that can be open/viewed directly within Windows. A vhd is a possibility but it's a bit klunky to get mounted. And the people requiring this will not want to do that. Not looking for a backup solution.
I give up. You simply refuse to pay attention.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2018   #18
RolandJS

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

LadyF, it may not be that the OP is refusing to pay attention; I believe it is much more that OP's clients or fellow office folks are refusing to learn something new, to learn something that which is required to meet most but certainly not all of their demands.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2018   #19
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
LadyF, it may not be that the OP is refusing to pay attention; I believe it is much more that OP's clients or fellow office folks are refusing to learn something new, to learn something that which is required to meet most but certainly not all of their demands.
No, the OP doesn't understand the difference between clones and images and will not or cannot accept our explanations. S/he keeps insisting that a clone is a file and that one needs to use MR to browse a clone despite us repeatedly explaining that a clone is not a file and does not require MR to browse it. Also, the OP has yet to give us a clear explanation of what s/he is trying to do, despite my asking for clarification.I don't know if there is a language barrier or the OP is just being stubborn. Either way, I've given up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2018   #20
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

I was recommended by SIW2 in a prior thread when I was looking for a good image creator to use AOMEI.

On investigation and use I found that the AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard and the AOMEI Backupper Standard to be brilliant for what I needed and so easy to understand and use.

I just thought this information might be useful!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Disk Imaging Software Creating Browsable Image




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Should I format external HD before creating a hard disk image on it?
I use Windows 7 professional 64 bit edition. Im a novice user who is doing this for the 1st time. I intend to use Macrium Reflect Free edition to store an image of my C drive which is the only partition I have, (931 GB ( of which 537 GB is free) ) on an external HDD which is of Sony, 1TB & Fat32...
Backup and Restore
Disk Imaging Software
Okay, in your OWN personal option, which software would you get to do the following: 1. Shink the image before writing. 2. Make a recue disk. Thanks.
Backup and Restore
Creating a seperate disk image partition for running unwated programs.
Hello, I need some help regarding disk imaging/partitions. I have a workstation on a gaming rig. I work and play games on it. I wanted to ask if I could separate my work files and GAMES setups (installed files) so they don't harm my work data. I do play games with cheats/hacks and they...
Installation & Setup
creating an system image disk using dvd's
When I try to use windows 7 to make a ISO out of disk instead of an hard drive since none are ntfs format I always get a message saying please insert disk and lable it "" so I did do that then it ask if I want to format the dvd I click yes and then get message saying insert disk greater then 1GB...
Backup and Restore
10 Commercial Disk Imaging Software - Speed Comparision
Read more...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:42.
Twitter Facebook Google+