Permanent Restore Point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,367
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
       #1

    Permanent Restore Point


    I manually create a restore point. I want it to remain in place until I (me, myself and nobody/nothing else) personally delete it. How do I do this?

    -thx
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 70,211
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro
       #2

    Hello Marc,

    Unfortunately, restore points do not stay saved forever.

    Creating a system image instead for that purpose would be better.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 6,162
    Win 7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
       #3

    Hi MourningStar,

    This thread might be useful: Can you permanently save a good restore point
    If I was you, I would make a system image and keep it safe.

    I hope this helps!
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,367
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Thx all - ok I read the suggested thread. A few questions. Since I never 'mucked' with it, my system restore 'allocation size' is whatever factory default is. Therefore :

    1 - Is a 'system image' typically smaller or larger than the restore point? I have about 2 gigs free on the 'D' (partitioned?) drive labeled 'Factory Image'. Would this be an acceptable location for the system image?

    2 - In the past I have had to use the restore points to recover and it has always performed flawless and very simple (for a dummy like me). Would a restore of the system image be as idiot-proof a process and restore my computer just like a restore point??
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 70,211
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro
       #5

    A system image would indeed be larger than a restore point, but is a lot more reliable.

    You could use "Windows System Image" with or without "Windows Backup", and/or use a 3rd party program like "Macrium Reflect" to create a system image with.

    Here's some details about those to help if needed:

    Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect | Windows 10 Tutorials
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6,162
    Win 7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
       #6

    Hi MourningStar,

    MourningStar said:
    Thx all - ok I read the suggested thread. A few questions. Since I never 'mucked' with it, my system restore 'allocation size' is whatever factory default is.
    You can increase the size of the system restore 'allocation size'. But it would not be recommended unless you keep a close eye on it. At some stage, the restore point that you want to keep will gradually get lower and lower in the list until it is eventually deleted.

    MourningStar said:
    1 - Is a 'system image' typically smaller or larger than the restore point? I have about 2 gigs free on the 'D' (partitioned?) drive labeled 'Factory Image'. Would this be an acceptable location for the system image?
    I use AOMEI Backupper. It is easy to use and quite easy to restore from. I know that most people on this forum use Macrium Reflect as Brink has pointed out above. Using AOMEI Backupper, I found that it produces a system image that is about 40% of the OS size. The system image [whatever you use] must be kept on a seperate/external HDD rather than on a partition on the C:\ drive. This is because if your HDD was to fail, you would also lose the system images.

    MourningStar said:
    2 - In the past I have had to use the restore points to recover and it has always performed flawless and very simple (for a dummy like me). Would a restore of the system image be as idiot-proof a process and restore my computer just like a restore point??
    The link that Brink posted will walk you through Macrium Reflect if that is the way you are going to go!

    I hope this helps!
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,499
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
       #7

    System Restore was designed for short term use only. In the interests of keeping restore points a reasonable size not everything is saved. That not saved will cause you trouble if you go back too far. The further back you go the more likely that the restore will fail or leave you in a worse state than before. I would not care to go back any further than a month, and that only if necessary. On those few occasions I have used System Restore it has only been with the most recent restore point.

    An image backup is far more reliable and can go back much further, years if you have a backup that old. And you can restore to a new hard drive if the original fails.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,367
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
    Thread Starter
       #8

    thx all

    LMiller7 said:
    System Restore was designed for short term use only. In the interests of keeping restore points a reasonable size not everything is saved. That not saved will cause you trouble if you go back too far. The further back you go ...
    Did not know that, so ...

    I regularly (read : religiously) backup files important to me on an external drive. Suppose I make a habit of manually creating a restore point on a regular basis, say once a week? Is this too frequent or not enough? If this is acceptable I suppose I could configure my calendar to remind me or can this be done via some automated way? more thoughts?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,775
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
       #9

    Since you're already routinely back up stuff onto an external hard-drive, simply use Macrium Reflect or EaseUS ToDo or any one of several free backup / restore utilities to make full images of your OS and Data partitions. I've done that for both my laptops, however, I use two external HDDs for "twin backups".
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 15,184
    Vista x64 / 7 X64
       #10

    As previously,mentioned you can create a system image.

    If you have restore point created previously that you want to keep, you can mount it and create an image of it.

    A simple way to do that is with system restore explorer to mount the restore point, then capture the mount point with dism++ or gimagex.


    MourningStar said:
    I manually create a restore point. I want it to remain in place until I (me, myself and nobody/nothing else) personally delete it. How do I do this?

    -thx
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:11.
Find Us