Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Image your system with free Macrium

13 Nov 2013   #1261
eldinv

DOS^
 
 

Hi all I need some help, please.

I created an image, probably the largest I ever created with Macrium free edition.

I didn't look at the output files until I went to the recovery mode and notice two files, one small file and one larger file.



So I booted back into Windows and renamed the files so I new what to look for when I'm doing the recovery.

Well, it doesn't want to do the recovery the last step after I select the target disk, it just goes on and searching for something and never engages the transfer of files.

So I try to mount the bigger image file and it says "its a multi-file image and one of the parts don't exist". I assume its the smaller file? I click this file and it says its corrupt.

So what now, I lose all my data? There's a 264GB image their, the backup was roughly that size.

Did I screw the whole process up, just because I renamed the two files.

How can I undo this. And no restore won't work. Because I had wipe the disk just before, these images were taken prior to running CopyWipe and wiping the disk.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Nov 2013   #1262
alan10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eldinv View Post
Hi all I need some help, please.
Did I screw the whole process up, just because I renamed the two files.
Absolutely yes - your mistake - You caused total confusion to Macrium which expects the backup to use the name with which it was created.

You do NOT need to use Windows to find your specific backup file.
Just Launch the Macrium GUI and it will show you the backup files in whatever partition/folder you choose.

It SHOULD be easy to remedy by renaming the files to what they WERE when created.
Please not the the names are NOT what you think they are because you are not seeing extensions,
and Macrium typically uses full names such as
C94F2F21B312F2D0-00-00.mrimg
and
C94F2F21B312F2D0-01-01.mrimg etc for differential and Incremental backups that hold the difference from the FULL.

If you do not remember the original file names then use Macrium GUI and inspect the logs that it created when making the backups.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2013   #1263
alan10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Accepting that some people want to use the Macrium clone capability, it may be useful to document any potential problems.
This one is a doozie.

On another forum I encountered a Macrium Free user whose LAPTOP was horribly corrupted,
and he had never tested his backup strategy.

Instead of regularly creating an image backup on his external USB Flash Drive,
he had been regularly using the CLONE facility on his Flash Drive.

His laptop was not prepared to Boot from his USB Flash Drive
Macrium works miracles, but one miracle it does not perform is to use a clone as the basis for a restore
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Nov 2013   #1264
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alan10 View Post
...Macrium works miracles, but one miracle it does not perform is to use a clone as the basis for a restore
Actually, it can. Just clone the clone back to the original drive. I did this very thing last Sunday when my main data drive got corrupted (fortunately, reformatting it fixed it).

Normally, images are better for backups because one can image just one partition at a time instead of having to do the entire drive. Imaging is faster, the image can be verified after creation, and images can be safely compressed during creation to save space. Restoration is also easier and faster with imaging.

That said, though I use images to backup my boot drive, I use clones to backup my data drives because I want to be able to use the backup as is should a data drive installed in my computer ever completely die. In that event, I can just plug my clone into the hot swap bay in my computer (I also use the bay for making backups), disconnect the SATA data cable from the dead drive, then keep chugging along until I can buy and install the new drive (I don't want to keep a spare drive on hand because HDDs keep going up in quality and down in price over time and I don't want to waste warranty time on a drive setting unused in a drawer). I don't worry about losing data when using the clone because I always make two clones when backing up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2013   #1265
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alan10 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eldinv View Post
Hi all I need some help, please.
Did I screw the whole process up, just because I renamed the two files.
Absolutely yes - your mistake - You caused total confusion to Macrium which expects the backup to use the name with which it was created.

You do NOT need to use Windows to find your specific backup file.
Just Launch the Macrium GUI and it will show you the backup files in whatever partition/folder you choose.

It SHOULD be easy to remedy by renaming the files to what they WERE when created.
Please not the the names are NOT what you think they are because you are not seeing extensions,
and Macrium typically uses full names such as
C94F2F21B312F2D0-00-00.mrimg
and
C94F2F21B312F2D0-01-01.mrimg etc for differential and Incremental backups that hold the difference from the FULL.

If you do not remember the original file names then use Macrium GUI and inspect the logs that it created when making the backups.
In the future, you can keep track of what images go together by grouping them in folders. You can move images but renaming them after they are created will confuse Reflect. Also, you can rename the image when setting it up prior to making the image although Macrium doesn't recommend it. I used to rename my images to the date they were created on until whs pointed out the folder they are stored in will show that date for me (that was a DUH moment).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2013   #1266
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eldinv View Post
Hi all I need some help, please.

I created an image, probably the largest I ever created with Macrium free edition.

I didn't look at the output files until I went to the recovery mode and notice two files, one small file and one larger file.



So I booted back into Windows and renamed the files so I new what to look for when I'm doing the recovery.

Well, it doesn't want to do the recovery the last step after I select the target disk, it just goes on and searching for something and never engages the transfer of files.

So I try to mount the bigger image file and it says "its a multi-file image and one of the parts don't exist". I assume its the smaller file? I click this file and it says its corrupt.

So what now, I lose all my data? There's a 264GB image their, the backup was roughly that size.

Did I screw the whole process up, just because I renamed the two files.

How can I undo this. And no restore won't work. Because I had wipe the disk just before, these images were taken prior to running CopyWipe and wiping the disk.
Looks like you mucked it up. If nothing else works, you can mount the big image (double click on the image file and you will see) and it will appear as a virtual volume in Computer like any other volume.

From there you can do 2 things:

1. Recover your own files by copying them to another volume

2. Reimage that virtual volume. That you can image like any other volume. Hopefully that image can be restored because I do not really know what the story on the 1KB file is - maybe it is essential or maybe it is not really needed.

To get rid of the virtual volume in Computer, you have to reboot.

Another question is what happened to your 100MB system partition. If the C partition that you imaged was the active partition, then you would not need it. If not, then you would not have a bootmgr on your big image and could not boot.

The bootmgr can be recreated but that would be another project.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2013   #1267
eldinv

DOS^
 
 

You do NOT need to use Windows to find your specific backup file.
Just Launch the Macrium GUI and it will show you the backup files in whatever partition/folder you choose.


They don't appear in the when I browser the location where all my images are located, only the other two images.




If you do not remember the original file names then use Macrium GUI and inspect the logs that it created when making the backups.


I can't search the log because that Macrium, the one used to create the image, was on my drive previous to my wiping it clean with CopyWipe.


Looks like you mucked it up. If nothing else works, you can mount the big image (double click on the image file and you will see) and it will appear as a virtual volume in Computer like any other volume.


When I double the big image it tells me the image is part of a multi-part image.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2013   #1268
alan10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1 x64
 
 

[QUOTE=eldinv;2594153]You do NOT need to use Windows to find your specific backup file.
Just Launch the Macrium GUI and it will show you the backup files in whatever partition/folder you choose.


They don't appear in the when I browser the location where all my images are located, only the other two images.

/QUOTE]

I was talking about running the Macrium Reflect Application and selecting files from that.

I do not understand what you meant by "They don't appear in the when I browser the location where all my images are located". When you say browser are you referring to Windows Explorer ?

Via Windows Explorer I can select two different image backup files and whilst holding down the Shift key either :-
Double click; OR
use the right click option "Explore Image".
Either way I am given TWO, NOT ONE, Backup selection menus similar to your screen shot,
excepting that what you show as a single pop-up with two separate backup dates and backup ID's,
is presented to me in a pair of pop-ups, one pop-up for each backup date and ID.

[QUOTE=eldinv;2594153]
I can't search the log because that Macrium, the one used to create the image, was on my drive previous to my wiping it clean with CopyWipe.

When I double the big image it tells me the image is part of a multi-part image.

/QUOTE]
I get exactly the same error message if I change the backup extension from MRIMG to BIN.

I strongly suspect that if I deleted or uninstalled Macrium Reflect, or if I lost it by using CopyWipe,
Then all I would get are error messages - Neither Windows nor the MRIMG backup would have the intelligence to browse or restore a backup file.

To browse or restore a backup file you need Macrium to be installed, or to be running a Macrium Boot Rescue CD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2013   #1269
alan10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alan10 View Post
...Macrium works miracles, but one miracle it does not perform is to use a clone as the basis for a restore
Actually, it can. Just clone the clone back to the original drive. I did this very thing last Sunday when my main data drive got corrupted (fortunately, reformatting it fixed it).
I am sure that is feasible with NON-system drives which seems to be your application.

All that this user had was a crippled Windows system running on a single HDD Laptop,
and a USB Flash Drive clone of his HDD.
Obviously his HDD Windows would not support an operation of being cloned from his Flash Drive.

I had doubts about the capability of a Macrium Boot Rescue CD supporting a Clone operation.
I had doubts about any (automatic ?) adjustments that Macrium might make when cloning from HDD to a Flash Drive - e.g.
can a Flash Drive have an extended partition table ?
and can it have more than one partition recognised by a separate drive letter ?
and would there be any extra "gotcha's" when using the Boot Rescue CD to clone the HDD from the flash drive ?
I had EXTREME doubts about his capability to successfully do anything technical with Macrium.
I think his original problem was that his email folder was corrupted and he tried to muddle through by himself and added corruption to both the HDD and also the USB clone before he asked for help.

I suggested that the simplest solution was to get another external USB drive, preferable HDD rather than Flash,
and create on the USB HDD an image backup of the USB Flash drive,
and then he could use a Boot Rescue to restore the image and hopefully have Macrium Restoration fix any startup issues.

I think too much corruption had been done and the story did not end well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2013   #1270
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

I've never tried using a USB flash drive to clone to (my drives, even my boot drive, are far too big for that) and I also doubt that it can be done successfully but a USB external HDD can be used (and I have done so). You may or may not be able to boot from the drive when connected via USB (never tried it) but the clone could be cloned back to the internal drive or, if physically compatible, one could just swap drives (I've done both on my desktop and my notebook).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Image your system with free Macrium




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Macrium Free vs Macrium Pay
I am using the free version. I have visited the site and read what the pay version does. As far as I can tell the incremental backups is really the only thing that seems worthwhile. I was just curious if anyone has tried the pay version and found a feature that made it worth paying for. Thanks,
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect Free, AHCI, IDE system backup & restore
Hi, I have just upgraded my system and am now using a single Windows 7 install on a Samsung SSD hard drive. This was installed and running under AHCI rather than IDE which I was previously used to. This is for the performance benefits of Sata/SSD from what I can understand. I know that I...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect Free ...I'm in :-)
Sorry, it's me again! I started my Macrium imaging experience today with the Tecra R840 laptop (Win7 Pro 64-bit). 1- After installation, I created the Rescue disc with sucess :) (I already had the 1.7 GB WAIK stored in one of my USB 3.0 external hdd, so it was done in a breeze. But...I...
Backup and Restore
Tie In Between Macrium Boot Disk And System Image
I have a Macrium boot disc (CD) and an Image (External HD). Is the Boot disc only for this particular image ? Same question with Windows 7 Repair Disc I made long ago. Is it tied to one particular system image ?
Backup and Restore
Macrium free 5 couldn't create image
Hi guys, I recently built a pc and all is well. Clean install of w7 HP 64. For the first couple of days I was in and out of the system as the default admin (user you are asked to create during w7 install). It wad during this time I installed macrium reflect free 5. I images the system after...
Backup and Restore
Macrium free backup won't end
Every time I do a system backup it progresses fine until both progress bars get to Overall Progress 99% and Time remaining 01 second. It continues to run as long as I allow it. Finally after a half hour I click cancel, but it still continues to run so I have to do a hard shut down to end it. This...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App