Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Image your system with free Macrium

18 Nov 2014   #1731
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

I would suggest you use differentials rather than incrementals. The reason is that there are fewer files to get corrupted. A long incremental chain can be destroyed by just one corrupt file.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Nov 2014   #1732
townsbg

Windows 7 pro 64-bit
 
 

I agree. Upon restoration all incrementals and the full need to be restored in order from oldest to newest. With a differential system only the most recent differential needs to be restored (as well as the full) however you might want to keep the next oldest just in case.

Backup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://typesofbackup.com/incremental-vs-differential-vs-full-backup/

I disagree with certain aspects of that pages explanation but you should be able to see the difference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2014   #1733
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

I don't even bother with incrementals or differentials anymore. My system images are only 26GB big and I only keep the last few (and the one I made when I first set up the computer) so I don't have to worry about how much space I need or the amount of time it takes to make an image; it takes only ten minutes to make an image and verify it. I make an image only once a week and before making any changes to the system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Nov 2014   #1734
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

LF, That's the way to go. I do the same. It is a lot less messy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2014   #1735
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I also just keep full images. My problem is I probably keep too many of them. It's a bit like the junk that clutters up your house because "You may need it one day".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2014   #1736
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Just to be different I do weekly full images and daily differentials.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2014   #1737
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I also just keep full images. My problem is I probably keep too many of them. It's a bit like the junk that clutters up your house because "You may need it one day".
I hear you! I don't know about the free version, but the Pro version of Macrium Reflect can be set to either discard older images based on age or keep only the latest images up to a certain number. If I didn't have mine set to keep only the last eight images (four to eight weeks worth, depending on how many a week I make), I would have an obscene number on my computer.

My System files don't change all that much over a week's time (and most of the changes aren't critical) so a weekly full image is fine for me (and even that is probably overkill; I just want to maintain a habit of doing so). If I do make a change that could cause an issue, like trying out a new program or making a major configuration change, I just make a full image just before making the change. No fuss, no muss.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2014   #1738
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18.1 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Backups of Backups of Backups ...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I also just keep full images. My problem is I probably keep too many of them. It's a bit like the junk that clutters up your house because "You may need it one day".

I have several TBs of backup images (some are backups of the backup images) on external HDDs.

I have had:
  • A couple of images become unusable for no apparent reason.
  • Some corrupted backup images on one of my internal HDDs, because the HDD happened to lose some sectors in that area (typical).
Having "too many" copies seems worthwhile.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2014   #1739
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I also just keep full images. My problem is I probably keep too many of them. It's a bit like the junk that clutters up your house because "You may need it one day".

I have several TBs of backup images (some are backups of the backup images) on external HDDs.

I have had:
  • A couple of images become unusable for no apparent reason.
  • Some corrupted backup images on one of my internal HDDs, because the HDD happened to lose some sectors in that area (typical).
Having "too many" copies seems worthwhile.
You are as anal as I am. I have four HDDs—two locals and two offsite—for each HDD I have installed and in use in my machine (I'm sort four HDDs so one of my installed HDDs is not in use right now; I'm hoping for a good sale before I pull the trigger on the four).

I've never had an image fail to restore. I did have one fail verification; I reran the image and that one verified. That's a good argument for verification.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2014   #1740
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I also just keep full images. My problem is I probably keep too many of them. It's a bit like the junk that clutters up your house because "You may need it one day".
You can never have too many. I just was able to fix a problem on one of my laptops with an image from early 2013 - anything younger would not do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Image your system with free Macrium




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Macrium Free vs Macrium Pay
I am using the free version. I have visited the site and read what the pay version does. As far as I can tell the incremental backups is really the only thing that seems worthwhile. I was just curious if anyone has tried the pay version and found a feature that made it worth paying for. Thanks,
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect Free, AHCI, IDE system backup & restore
Hi, I have just upgraded my system and am now using a single Windows 7 install on a Samsung SSD hard drive. This was installed and running under AHCI rather than IDE which I was previously used to. This is for the performance benefits of Sata/SSD from what I can understand. I know that I...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect Free ...I'm in :-)
Sorry, it's me again! I started my Macrium imaging experience today with the Tecra R840 laptop (Win7 Pro 64-bit). 1- After installation, I created the Rescue disc with sucess :) (I already had the 1.7 GB WAIK stored in one of my USB 3.0 external hdd, so it was done in a breeze. But...I...
Backup and Restore
Tie In Between Macrium Boot Disk And System Image
I have a Macrium boot disc (CD) and an Image (External HD). Is the Boot disc only for this particular image ? Same question with Windows 7 Repair Disc I made long ago. Is it tied to one particular system image ?
Backup and Restore
Macrium free 5 couldn't create image
Hi guys, I recently built a pc and all is well. Clean install of w7 HP 64. For the first couple of days I was in and out of the system as the default admin (user you are asked to create during w7 install). It wad during this time I installed macrium reflect free 5. I images the system after...
Backup and Restore
Macrium free backup won't end
Every time I do a system backup it progresses fine until both progress bars get to Overall Progress 99% and Time remaining 01 second. It continues to run as long as I allow it. Finally after a half hour I click cancel, but it still continues to run so I have to do a hard shut down to end it. This...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App