Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Image your system with free Macrium

25 Aug 2011   #211
stonebear

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stonebear View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post

Yea, I could just restore the C and then use the recovery CD or OS CD to "repair" and create a new MBR etc.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs
But if you have the SSD in a desktop or if you can stick it into an external enclosure, the Paragon Migration tool is the easiest. It does everything for you. But you stll need the system running on the HDD.
The system is on the SSD.

Thanks.
What you could try if you are starting with a clean SSD. Make a ~200MB primary partition and the rest another primary partition called C: say. Restore your old C: to the new C: and do NOT mark it active. Mark the empty 200MB partition active and run the system repair x3. This should build the MBR and the required boot files on the 200MB partition (bootmgr and [Boot] containing the BCD]. With 200MB you should never experience the problem of running out of shadow storage space.
Alternatively dispense with the system reserved if you have little use for bit locker and/or the F8 function.
Yea, that is how I decided to do it - if I need to. With or without the system reserved I could just do the system repair 3x thing to get it to boot


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Aug 2011   #212
stonebear

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

"if you have little use for bit locker and/or the F8 function."

I use F8 to use safe mode when needed, I wouldn't loase that ability would I?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2011   #213
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

JDH1, The reason I suggest to make the 4 folders is because then you can tell the images easily apart. And since you normally never restore the 100MB partition or the recovery partition, that is handy. It is also convenient for managing the restore points.

Over time you will accumulate a certain number of images for C and D of which you may want to delete some of the older versions. If all images are in the same folder, you do not know which is which.

Into each folder (via the XML) you can place as many images as you want. They are easy to distinguish by date.

With free Macrium you always get full images - which I prefer because they are easy to manage. With free Paragon you can also make differentials or incrementals. To manage those (e.g. delete older versions) is a lot more tricky.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Aug 2011   #214
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stonebear View Post
"if you have little use for bit locker and/or the F8 function."

I use F8 to use safe mode when needed, I wouldn't loase that ability would I?
I'm pretty sure you loose the F8 function when you dispense with system reserved. However, a system repair disk will give you the same capability.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2011   #215
stonebear

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stonebear View Post
"if you have little use for bit locker and/or the F8 function."

I use F8 to use safe mode when needed, I wouldn't loase that ability would I?
I'm pretty sure you loose the F8 function when you dispense with system reserved. However, a system repair disk will give you the same capability.

OK, thanks. I can lose that, seems a shame though. I will be doing a fresh install with no system reserved soon so I will find out for sure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2011   #216
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stonebear View Post
"if you have little use for bit locker and/or the F8 function."

I use F8 to use safe mode when needed, I wouldn't loase that ability would I?
I'm pretty sure you loose the F8 function when you dispense with system reserved. However, a system repair disk will give you the same capability.
F8 function "Repair your computer" requires only 2 things to function- the RE files (these are automatically installed on the computer when win7 is installed on the computer) and some bcd entries. It is not dependent on the Sysres partition.

All you need to do after making whatever changes you are making is- first check whether "Repair your computer" is present or not. If not the 2 simplest ways of creating it are by using reagentc or with easybcd (easybcd doesnt create the F8 thing but it can be used to create a bootmenu entry for the recovery options which is as good).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2011   #217
stonebear

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
F8 function "Repair your computer" requires only 2 things to function- the RE files (these are automatically installed on the computer when win7 is installed on the computer) and some bcd entries. It is not dependent on the Sysres partition.

All you need to do after making whatever changes you are making is- first check whether "Repair your computer" is present or not. If not the 2 simplest ways of creating it are by using reagentc or with easybcd (easybcd doesnt create the F8 thing but it can be used to create a bootmenu entry for the recovery options which is as good).

That's good, thanks Bill.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2011   #218
JDH1

Windows 7 Home x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Here is what I recommend:

1. Use Macrium because it is the easiest, fastest and very reliable. Here is a tutorial on how it works: Imaging with free Macrium

2. Make 4 folders on your backup drive.

-- 100MB partition
-- Recovery partition
-- C partition
-- D partition

3. In Macrium, make a definition and image of each of those partitions to their respective folders on the backup drive. The 100MB partition and the Recovery partition you need to image only once for the case that your physical disk breaks. The C and D partitions you should image as often as major changes have been made there. E.g updates or new program installs on C or new data on D.

PS: free Paragon is also a good option. But it is a bit more complex and involved.
First, thanks for your helpful and rapid reply!

So both the Macrium and Paragon programs are rock solid as regards Windows 7 64 bit. And evidently they both know how to do restores to the new drive alignment (I believe the data used to start at 63 or 64 sectors from the beginning of the drive, but now it's at an even 1 megabyte). Well this sure is good news, especially considering the problems people say Ghost and True Image are having!

Your suggested procedures seem very similar to what I would have done using Ghost -- the only obvious difference being the need for a separate folder for each partition's backup (not that this is any big problem). However since I like to keep layered backups, I assume I can put multiple backup files in each folder and keep them separate by simply using different file names (as would be done with Ghost)?

If you see no benefits offerred by Paragon for all the tasks outlined in my first post, and if Macrium is in some ways simpler, I will most certainly read/look at your tutorial on Macrium as soon as possible!
You can put all your partitions in the same backup file with Macrium but you have to restore them one at a time.
I don't know whether one backup file would be more or less confusing than using separate folders and separate files. WHS's recent post (#213) explains his reasoning on this quite well. I want to go over WHS's tutorial materials today -- hopefully things will make more sense to me after that <g>!

A different but related matter here is using Macrium to go from a HDD to an SSD. Obviously they have dissimilar structures, so maybe this is impossible to do. However if I eventually have three separate image files of the three partitions I now have on one physical HDD, I hope I will somehow be able to transfer all these to one physical SSD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2011   #219
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post

First, thanks for your helpful and rapid reply!

So both the Macrium and Paragon programs are rock solid as regards Windows 7 64 bit. And evidently they both know how to do restores to the new drive alignment (I believe the data used to start at 63 or 64 sectors from the beginning of the drive, but now it's at an even 1 megabyte). Well this sure is good news, especially considering the problems people say Ghost and True Image are having!

Your suggested procedures seem very similar to what I would have done using Ghost -- the only obvious difference being the need for a separate folder for each partition's backup (not that this is any big problem). However since I like to keep layered backups, I assume I can put multiple backup files in each folder and keep them separate by simply using different file names (as would be done with Ghost)?

If you see no benefits offerred by Paragon for all the tasks outlined in my first post, and if Macrium is in some ways simpler, I will most certainly read/look at your tutorial on Macrium as soon as possible!
You can put all your partitions in the same backup file with Macrium but you have to restore them one at a time.
I don't know whether one backup file would be more or less confusing than using separate folders and separate files. WHS's recent post (#213) explains his reasoning on this quite well. I want to go over WHS's tutorial materials today -- hopefully things will make more sense to me after that <g>!

A different but related matter here is using Macrium to go from a HDD to an SSD. Obviously they have dissimilar structures, so maybe this is impossible to do. However if I eventually have three separate image files of the three partitions I now have on one physical HDD, I hope I will somehow be able to transfer all these to one physical SSD.
Yes I see your point. I have 4 partitions on my laptop internal HDD. I backup Recovery and HP tools together because they wont change and do System and C together regularly because they are a "working set". Other disks I do file and folder backups as and when needed (I have the paid version).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2011   #220
JDH1

Windows 7 Home x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
JDH1, The reason I suggest to make the 4 folders is because then you can tell the images easily apart. And since you normally never restore the 100MB partition or the recovery partition, that is handy. It is also convenient for managing the restore points.

Over time you will accumulate a certain number of images for C and D of which you may want to delete some of the older versions. If all images are in the same folder, you do not know which is which.

Into each folder (via the XML) you can place as many images as you want. They are easy to distinguish by date.

With free Macrium you always get full images - which I prefer because they are easy to manage. With free Paragon you can also make differentials or incrementals. To manage those (e.g. delete older versions) is a lot more tricky.
That things were usually done a bit differently with Ghost isn't really important. Your explanation about the separate folders for Macrium makes perfect sense to me. Right, the less confusion, the better <g>.

On Paragon vs. Macrium, I too have always preferred full images even if my current backup regimen allowed differential or incremental backups. For me, the extra time to do full backups never outweighed what I perceived to be a simpler and more straight forward approach.

Am I thinking of a different program, or doesn't Paragon use some kind of "capsule", apparently a virtual, hidden or possibly temporary partition. I have read about users having a drive letter D: partition inserted, and this new partition then bumping their existing partition D: to the new letter E:, effectively destroying any drive letter dependent links, shortcuts, etc. Maybe this was with another program and not Paragon, but if Macrium never adds partitions for its own use and never changes my drive letters, I would find that far preferable to any program which did do this.

Do you see any reason to get the paid version of Macrium? And what about migration from a HDD to an SSD?

Sorry about all the questions, but please know that you are helping out a lot here -- and it's appreciated!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Image your system with free Macrium




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Macrium Free vs Macrium Pay
I am using the free version. I have visited the site and read what the pay version does. As far as I can tell the incremental backups is really the only thing that seems worthwhile. I was just curious if anyone has tried the pay version and found a feature that made it worth paying for. Thanks,
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect Free, AHCI, IDE system backup & restore
Hi, I have just upgraded my system and am now using a single Windows 7 install on a Samsung SSD hard drive. This was installed and running under AHCI rather than IDE which I was previously used to. This is for the performance benefits of Sata/SSD from what I can understand. I know that I...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect Free ...I'm in :-)
Sorry, it's me again! I started my Macrium imaging experience today with the Tecra R840 laptop (Win7 Pro 64-bit). 1- After installation, I created the Rescue disc with sucess :) (I already had the 1.7 GB WAIK stored in one of my USB 3.0 external hdd, so it was done in a breeze. But...I...
Backup and Restore
Tie In Between Macrium Boot Disk And System Image
I have a Macrium boot disc (CD) and an Image (External HD). Is the Boot disc only for this particular image ? Same question with Windows 7 Repair Disc I made long ago. Is it tied to one particular system image ?
Backup and Restore
Macrium free 5 couldn't create image
Hi guys, I recently built a pc and all is well. Clean install of w7 HP 64. For the first couple of days I was in and out of the system as the default admin (user you are asked to create during w7 install). It wad during this time I installed macrium reflect free 5. I images the system after...
Backup and Restore
Macrium free backup won't end
Every time I do a system backup it progresses fine until both progress bars get to Overall Progress 99% and Time remaining 01 second. It continues to run as long as I allow it. Finally after a half hour I click cancel, but it still continues to run so I have to do a hard shut down to end it. This...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:43.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App