Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Image your system with free Macrium

26 Aug 2011   #261
JDH1

Windows 7 Home x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Hi JDH,

Good idea to see what others think first, ultimately you will need to try and see which suits you.

I have used Macrium , Paragon and several others.

They all have pros and cons.

They all work well on virtually all systems.

Similarly, they will be the odd system any one of them will not function properly on.

Right now I am using Easeus, it seems to be the most complete free offering- and is working perfectly for me.

https://www.sevenforums.com/software/...g-program.html



A couple of points:

1. Macrium v5 can make winpe media for you ( you need to download WAIK for their method - you can install the trial v5 to make it for you).

It works well in my tests. Imaging, restoring, and mounting without issues.

2. Easeus can also make winpe media for you . Same thing - you need to d/l WAIK for their method.

It works perfectly in my tests - image and restore is fast - even restoring to a smaller partition - which is unusual.

It also includes Restore to dissimilar hardware.

As far as I know , it is the only free app. to offer that function.

Oddly, the mount function has been disabled in their standard pe build.

It is extremely unlikely you would want to mount in pe, nevertheless, I am in discussion with them about it.

3. Paragon does not include an inbuilt method for making winpe media. ( I expect they will as the others have started doing it- paragon are normally the first with the new ideas )

However, it is very easy to make it portable and throw it into just about any pe environment.

It is the only free app to align to nt6 rules during partition creation or resizing ( from the left that is - it won't realign the whole thing if you are just extending to the right ).

Just depends which you prefer.
Have you tried any of these (or know of folks who have) with a Sandy Bridge processor based Win 7 64 bit system and had good success?

Sorry, but what does WAIK mean?

When you mentioned a "mount function", do you mean the ability to mount an image in order to, for instance, retrieve individual file and folders? Or is this something else?

You emphasis WinPE media due to the hardware incompatibilities I've read which can happen with Linux based disks?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Aug 2011   #262
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Quote:
Have you tried any of these (or know of folks who have) with a Sandy Bridge processor based Win 7 64 bit system
No.


Quote:
Sorry, but what does WAIK mean?
You can d/l it from MS - it is free to everyone. It is huge and not easy for a beginner to use.

Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows® AIK for Windows® 7

Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - The Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) Supplement for Windows® 7 SP1

That is why those apps will do the winpe making for you - you still have to do the massive WAIK d/l tho.


Quote:
When you mentioned a "mount function", do you mean the ability to mount an image in order to, for instance, retrieve individual file and folders?
Yes


Quote:
You emphasis WinPE media due to the hardware incompatibilities I've read which can happen with Linux based disks?
Partly - it is also more fun - and you can put lots of apps. into one wim.


NB - WAIK seems to have shrunk - mine are 1.7gb and 1.3 gb
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Aug 2011   #263
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post

Have you tried any of these (or know of folks who have) with a Sandy Bridge processor based Win 7 64 bit system and had good success?
See my specs + Acer using Intel core 2 quad Q8300 W7x64
For me:
Imaging Process:
Macrium Reflect free (v4) - reliable no problems on both systems
Windows Imaging - reliable no problems on both systems
This involves multiple imaging and full system reimaging including to new HDD.

Image Boot restore process:
Macrium linux boot CD does NOT work on my Sandy Bridge.
V5 Trial pe boot disk does work
Hirens Boot CD Macrium installation works on both systems (Imaging, boot, restore).
Windows system repair boot image restore obviously works on both.

ISOs of all CD media work from a single bootable USB using grub4dos.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Aug 2011   #264
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post

I need a rock solid backup solution for the same reasons any prudent computer user does. However in addition I have a new laptop running Win 7 64 bit, I wish to change its partition structure, and I want a backup to be sure of a way out should a major problem happen with this. It is the only Win 7 machine I own at the moment, so no thanks, I certainly do not want to repartition it so I can test to see if the backup plan I intend using really works. Not only does that make zero sense, WHS and others have been so helpful here, I believe I am learning enough to make this decision. BTW, let's please not get into failure probabilities next. I have been bitten so many times by PC oddities that I no longer really believe in the science of statistics <g>. I'm sure many others feel the same way and buy the old adage, if a thing can go wrong, it will!
Not ideal perhaps but you could create the test partition on your backup drive. I personally use a partition on a separate USB HDD for testing as my laptop came with all 4 partitions defined.
Now that's an interesting thought. A newly created partition on an external HDD would certainly be more sacrificial than drive C: on a working PC. However, being a non-system partition, a non boot partition, no Windows, etc. makes me wonder if the test would be worth much. I'll have to think about this one..... Regardless, thanks for mentioning the idea.
There is no doubt that until you have to do it for real you will not know if it works. The purpose of the test partition is to test the backup restore cycle as closely as you can while reducing the risks associated with any restore operation. I took Wofgang's (whs) advice on this and my testing gave me the confidence that when I needed to I could restore my system. Since then I have needed to do an image restore on three occasions (I had some dodgy memory corrupting windows) twice with Macrium and once with Windows Backup. I dual backup with Windows and Macrium.

Companies spend millions on planning for disaster and rehearsing the recovery for just this reason. I know. I was part of the recovery planning team for the UK arm of a major organisation for a number of years. We were required to do the full disaster recovery of our systems every year.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2011   #265
JDH1

Windows 7 Home x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Quote:
Have you tried any of these (or know of folks who have) with a Sandy Bridge processor based Win 7 64 bit system
No.


Quote:
Sorry, but what does WAIK mean?
You can d/l it from MS - it is free to everyone. It is huge and not easy for a beginner to use.

Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows® AIK for Windows® 7

Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - The Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) Supplement for Windows® 7 SP1

That is why those apps will do the winpe making for you - you still have to do the massive WAIK d/l tho.


Quote:
When you mentioned a "mount function", do you mean the ability to mount an image in order to, for instance, retrieve individual file and folders?
Yes


Quote:
You emphasis WinPE media due to the hardware incompatibilities I've read which can happen with Linux based disks?
Partly - it is also more fun - and you can put lots of apps. into one wim.


NB - WAIK seems to have shrunk - mine are 1.7gb and 1.3 gb
Thanks for the info about WAIK. If it's not friendly, this sounds like it may be a good reason to seek backup software which can provide a non-Linux recovery disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2011   #266
JDH1

Windows 7 Home x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post

Have you tried any of these (or know of folks who have) with a Sandy Bridge processor based Win 7 64 bit system and had good success?
See my specs + Acer using Intel core 2 quad Q8300 W7x64
For me:
Imaging Process:
Macrium Reflect free (v4) - reliable no problems on both systems
Windows Imaging - reliable no problems on both systems
This involves multiple imaging and full system reimaging including to new HDD.

Image Boot restore process:
Macrium linux boot CD does NOT work on my Sandy Bridge.
V5 Trial pe boot disk does work
Hirens Boot CD Macrium installation works on both systems (Imaging, boot, restore).
Windows system repair boot image restore obviously works on both.

ISOs of all CD media work from a single bootable USB using grub4dos.
I looked at your system specs and found you are using almost exactly what I'm building -- same proc, same mobo, etc. Your bu/restore experiences are perfectly valid for me. Great!

So Macrium is fine in all respects except for its normal recovery disk. Never having used grub4dos (nor WAIK mentioned earlier), if I understood correctly, I can get a copy of the Hiren's disk and use the version of Macrium contained there for restores. I haven't used it in a long time, but I am familiar with Hirens BCD, and though it's large DL for this small purpose, Hirens may be my best option.

BTW, do you know whether anyone has posted an ISO of a non-Linux recovery CD for Macrium here or elsewhere? Seems like it might be possibility given the relatively small size of things and the freeware status.

Very good and thanks for all the good data!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2011   #267
JDH1

Windows 7 Home x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post

Not ideal perhaps but you could create the test partition on your backup drive. I personally use a partition on a separate USB HDD for testing as my laptop came with all 4 partitions defined.
Now that's an interesting thought. A newly created partition on an external HDD would certainly be more sacrificial than drive C: on a working PC. However, being a non-system partition, a non boot partition, no Windows, etc. makes me wonder if the test would be worth much. I'll have to think about this one..... Regardless, thanks for mentioning the idea.
There is no doubt that until you have to do it for real you will not know if it works. The purpose of the test partition is to test the backup restore cycle as closely as you can while reducing the risks associated with any restore operation. I took Wofgang's (whs) advice on this and my testing gave me the confidence that when I needed to I could restore my system. Since then I have needed to do an image restore on three occasions (I had some dodgy memory corrupting windows) twice with Macrium and once with Windows Backup. I dual backup with Windows and Macrium.

Companies spend millions on planning for disaster and rehearsing the recovery for just this reason. I know. I was part of the recovery planning team for the UK arm of a major organisation for a number of years. We were required to do the full disaster recovery of our systems every year.
I understand the reasons for testing (after many years of engineering, this is sort of preaching to the choir <g>). But some tests are less convenient than others, and some are less valid too. But see the recent message from mjf -- turns out he has done all the tests relative to my situation, both backup and restores. I am sure glad he jumped in with his post! Now it's a matter of pursuing the problem with the Macrium recovery disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2011   #268
maxseven

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 6.1 Build 7601 (SP1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Quote:
Sorry, but what does WAIK mean?
You can d/l it from MS - it is free to everyone. It is huge and not easy for a beginner to use.
But SIW2 wasn't it you who detailed an easy method to make a "Macrium with WinPE"? Earlier in this thread (sorry I've lost track)? Then you can use Free 4.2 at the Desktop level, and a SIW2-made Macrium5 trial as the rescue disk? No need to DL the whole WAIK?

The only reason I haven't tried this yet is that I've balked at the Macrium 5 download which iirc was almost a couple hundred Mb and I have a slow ISP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2011   #269
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Yes, if you are on windows 7 x64 you can use my little app to make macrium pe3 instead of downloading WAIK.

Quote:
But SIW2 wasn't it you who detailed an easy method to make a "Macrium with WinPE"? Earlier in this thread (sorry I've lost track)? Then you can use Free 4.2 at the Desktop level, and a SIW2-made Macrium5 trial as the rescue disk? No need to DL the whole WAIK?
That is exactly right.

I haven't done a version for 7 x86 yet. Might try and give the option to include Easeus Todo in the 32 bit version



( I was just answering the op's question "what does WAIK mean" )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2011   #270
maxseven

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 6.1 Build 7601 (SP1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
( I was just answering the op's question "what does WAIK mean" )
I thought you were just being modest.

Seriously, I'd forgotten the x64 caveat.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Image your system with free Macrium




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Macrium Free vs Macrium Pay
I am using the free version. I have visited the site and read what the pay version does. As far as I can tell the incremental backups is really the only thing that seems worthwhile. I was just curious if anyone has tried the pay version and found a feature that made it worth paying for. Thanks,
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect Free, AHCI, IDE system backup & restore
Hi, I have just upgraded my system and am now using a single Windows 7 install on a Samsung SSD hard drive. This was installed and running under AHCI rather than IDE which I was previously used to. This is for the performance benefits of Sata/SSD from what I can understand. I know that I...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect Free ...I'm in :-)
Sorry, it's me again! I started my Macrium imaging experience today with the Tecra R840 laptop (Win7 Pro 64-bit). 1- After installation, I created the Rescue disc with sucess :) (I already had the 1.7 GB WAIK stored in one of my USB 3.0 external hdd, so it was done in a breeze. But...I...
Backup and Restore
Tie In Between Macrium Boot Disk And System Image
I have a Macrium boot disc (CD) and an Image (External HD). Is the Boot disc only for this particular image ? Same question with Windows 7 Repair Disc I made long ago. Is it tied to one particular system image ?
Backup and Restore
Macrium free 5 couldn't create image
Hi guys, I recently built a pc and all is well. Clean install of w7 HP 64. For the first couple of days I was in and out of the system as the default admin (user you are asked to create during w7 install). It wad during this time I installed macrium reflect free 5. I images the system after...
Backup and Restore
Macrium free backup won't end
Every time I do a system backup it progresses fine until both progress bars get to Overall Progress 99% and Time remaining 01 second. It continues to run as long as I allow it. Finally after a half hour I click cancel, but it still continues to run so I have to do a hard shut down to end it. This...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App