Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Image your system with free Macrium

12 Jan 2013   #781
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PCG View Post
Also another area I'm digging in to is acpi registry entries; Any changes made there would not be applied during a Macrium Recovery Disk boot-up, correct?
Correct.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Jan 2013   #782
PCG

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Update:

I 'loaded drivers' during Recovery Disk start-up, but the problem still occurs: After 6min 52sec, power save mode initiated.

Yesterday, I also received notification that Macrium patch # 5.1.5529 was available. In hopes of stumbling upon a fix I installed the patch, burned a new WinPE Rescue Disk and rebooted. Nada... power save mode kicked-in at 7minutes 50sec.

Is there a WinPE expert here who can answer this question:

Is it possible to customize my Macrium WinPE Rescue Disk/USB to prevent Power Save Mode from automatically activating when I attempt to restore an image?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2013   #783
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PCG View Post
Update:

I 'loaded drivers' during Recovery Disk start-up, but the problem still occurs: After 6min 52sec, power save mode initiated.

Yesterday, I also received notification that Macrium patch # 5.1.5529 was available. In hopes of stumbling upon a fix I installed the patch, burned a new WinPE Rescue Disk and rebooted. Nada... power save mode kicked-in at 7minutes 50sec.

Is there a WinPE expert here who can answer this question:

Is it possible to customize my Macrium WinPE Rescue Disk/USB to prevent Power Save Mode from automatically activating when I attempt to restore an image?
If you can get to your Control Panel, go into Power Options and in Change Plan put everything to "Never".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jan 2013   #784
PCG

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

bigmck, thank you. I originally thought the settings in control panel (Power Options), may have been causing this problem. However, I was informed by whs that the settings used during normal startup in Windows 7 are not the same settings that are used when the rescue disk boots-up (I already had mine set to "Never" any way).

The BIOS was the next logical place to look and I did that as well. I have two options in the BIOS, S1 or S3; The default setting is S3, but I tried both to no avail.

I've searched high and low, and I'm now exploring whether a WinPE custom solution (if it's even possible), might be the answer I'm looking for. When not booted-up in the rescue mode, I have no problem with the Power Save Mode. So here's what I'm thinking: If there is a way to customize the power configuration in my WinPE rescue disk to mirror the normal Windows 7 start-up power configuration, I might have a solution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2013   #785
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PCG View Post
bigmck, thank you. I originally thought the settings in control panel (Power Options), may have been causing this problem. However, I was informed by whs that the settings used during normal startup in Windows 7 are not the same settings that are used when the rescue disk boots-up (I already had mine set to "Never" any way).

The BIOS was the next logical place to look and I did that as well. I have two options in the BIOS, S1 or S3; The default setting is S3, but I tried both to no avail.

I've searched high and low, and I'm now exploring whether a WinPE custom solution (if it's even possible), might be the answer I'm looking for. When not booted-up in the rescue mode, I have no problem with the Power Save Mode. So here's what I'm thinking: If there is a way to customize the power configuration in my WinPE rescue disk to mirror the normal Windows 7 start-up power configuration, I might have a solution.
I am pretty sure that the WinPE is just one way and that is it. Did you try putting your Power Options to Never? It is worth a try.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2013   #786
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

You can try disabling S1, S2, and S3 in BIOS until you get the imaging done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2013   #787
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I'm a bit puzzled here. When you run Winpe this in effect is a totally different mini Windows OS to your normal Windows environment. This would suggest that some power saving mode set in the BIOS is the culprit. I would support the comments made re S1, S2, S3 above. Also check to see if your BIOS has another power saving option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2013   #788
0pTicaL

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I'm getting the same consistent results with Macrium Reflect Free, imaging times are around ~22mins and recovery times take 5x as long at ~1hr 35mins.

I just remembered I have a OEM version of Acronis True Image HD what was included with my purchase of a OCZ Vector SSD and I compared ATI HD to other ATI versions and it has everything I need, full backup, disc cloning and GPT support.

I installed ATI HD, rebooted and performed a image, time ~23mins. Recovery was just as fast coming in 24mins 38secs.

I'm starting to think there's specific drivers that need to be loaded with the WinPE disc. What I don't get is how everyone else here seems to have no issues with recovery using whs's provided WinPE build without loading any drivers. Gonna figure out how to load drivers and see if that makes any difference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2013   #789
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

I have done a few image restores in the past few days. I tried with and without loading drivers but the time stayed about the same to restore an image. I really didn't need them, just experimenting on my own.

This was with WHS's WinPE and another I made on my own after Macrium had a patch.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2013   #790
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18.1 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 0pTicaL View Post
I'm starting to think there's specific drivers that need to be loaded with the WinPE disc. What I don't get is how everyone else here seems to have no issues with recovery using whs's provided WinPE build without loading any drivers. Gonna figure out how to load drivers and see if that makes any difference.
I don't use a Win PE Disc.

I normally run Macrium from inside my OS.
If I want to reimage W7, I run Macrium from XP.
If I want to reimage XP, I run Macrium from W7.

I've only used the Linux Recovery Disc, when I have bought a new HDD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Image your system with free Macrium




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Macrium Free vs Macrium Pay
I am using the free version. I have visited the site and read what the pay version does. As far as I can tell the incremental backups is really the only thing that seems worthwhile. I was just curious if anyone has tried the pay version and found a feature that made it worth paying for. Thanks,
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect Free, AHCI, IDE system backup & restore
Hi, I have just upgraded my system and am now using a single Windows 7 install on a Samsung SSD hard drive. This was installed and running under AHCI rather than IDE which I was previously used to. This is for the performance benefits of Sata/SSD from what I can understand. I know that I...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect Free ...I'm in :-)
Sorry, it's me again! I started my Macrium imaging experience today with the Tecra R840 laptop (Win7 Pro 64-bit). 1- After installation, I created the Rescue disc with sucess :) (I already had the 1.7 GB WAIK stored in one of my USB 3.0 external hdd, so it was done in a breeze. But...I...
Backup and Restore
Tie In Between Macrium Boot Disk And System Image
I have a Macrium boot disc (CD) and an Image (External HD). Is the Boot disc only for this particular image ? Same question with Windows 7 Repair Disc I made long ago. Is it tied to one particular system image ?
Backup and Restore
Macrium free 5 couldn't create image
Hi guys, I recently built a pc and all is well. Clean install of w7 HP 64. For the first couple of days I was in and out of the system as the default admin (user you are asked to create during w7 install). It wad during this time I installed macrium reflect free 5. I images the system after...
Backup and Restore
Macrium free backup won't end
Every time I do a system backup it progresses fine until both progress bars get to Overall Progress 99% and Time remaining 01 second. It continues to run as long as I allow it. Finally after a half hour I click cancel, but it still continues to run so I have to do a hard shut down to end it. This...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:15.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App