Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can I restore back to Factory Settings Vista?

23 Dec 2009   #21
BugOutMachine

Windows 7 / Windows 8.1
 
 

Please let us know what happens. This information could be useful to others who may encounter the same situation.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Dec 2009   #22
SusanHC

Windows 7 and Vista
 
 

I put Boot Order back to default and by using F10 key got it to boot from my recovery discs but although all three loaded OK when it came to the next part I still kept getting error message “Restore failed- error code 1117 (the request could not be performed because of an I/O error)”
So I have been in touch with Acer and requested recovery discs (at a cost of approx £50). The discs will take about 14 working days (ordered a week ago) so with Christmas in between I don’t expect to receive these for another week or two.
Will post an update when I get discs.

Belated Christmas Best wishes!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #23
gregrocker

 

Susan, how I wish you would have kept in touch with us here before being gouged like that by Acer for recov disks!

Your Vista can be clean reinstalled booting ANY Vista installer and will activate with the OEM license key stickered to it.

If the Vista installer you locate isn't the same version, we can walk you through an easy process to unlock all versions and burn back to DVD to boot it and install Vista.

Heck, we really didn't even get a chance to help you troubleshoot the Win7 issues before you reported that you were bailing out. I know I would have taken special care to help you get your Win7 running after all you went through with the external drive.

I don't know if you can still avoid having to pay such an exorbitant amount for bloated Vista recov disks, but please be assured that we are here to help you if you can, whether you want to give Win7 another chance or do a clean intall of Vista to reactivate the native license on that machine.

Best wishes,
Greg
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Dec 2009   #24
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Well Acer should have gone through some trouble shooting and hardware diags. Which they probably did not.

The I/O Error is caused by bad hardware or bad disks.
There is a possibility that it could have been a driver issue, but it is very highly unlikely with the location of where the error is presented.

Basically, during the install, it either could not write or read the data that was being presented.

Quote:
clean reinstalled booting ANY Vista installer and will activate with the OEM license key
Unless there was some change in the way MS delivers it's media, this is not true.
Big Box OEM is different from System Builder OEM (but it is possible that depending on the big box OEM that a System Builder OEM disk might activate, but not always).

Retail disks will not activate with a OEM Key and vice versa.
You can not activate an HP OEM install with a Dell OEM key and vice versa, etc..

Volume license keys will not activate on OEM or Retail disks and vice versa, etc. etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #25
computersplus

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 
Hard Drive

It sounds like a bad hard drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #26
FreshSam

Windows 7 Ultimate - Laptop / Stationary PC
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Susan, how I wish you would have kept in touch with us here before being gouged like that by Acer for recov disks!

Your Vista can be clean reinstalled booting ANY Vista installer and will activate with the OEM license key stickered to it.

If the Vista installer you locate isn't the same version, we can walk you through an easy process to unlock all versions and burn back to DVD to boot it and install Vista.

Heck, we really didn't even get a chance to help you troubleshoot the Win7 issues before you reported that you were bailing out. I know I would have taken special care to help you get your Win7 running after all you went through with the external drive.

I don't know if you can still avoid having to pay such an exorbitant amount for bloated Vista recov disks, but please be assured that we are here to help you if you can, whether you want to give Win7 another chance or do a clean intall of Vista to reactivate the native license on that machine.

Best wishes,
Greg
What he said...

Plus I would rather try working out the Win 7 issues before going back to vista, because Win 7 is just that much better
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #27
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
Well Acer should have gone through some trouble shooting and hardware diags. Which they probably did not.
Very good point. Susan, can you download and burn to CD the DOS diagnostics/repair disk for your HD? It is normally found on the Support Downloads page for your HD model. Seagate has Seatools, WD has Data Lifeguard, etc. I can find it for you but the HD make/model is not listed in the 8935G specs.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
Quote:
clean reinstalled booting ANY Vista installer and will activate with the OEM license key
Unless there was some change in the way MS delivers it's media, this is not true.
Big Box OEM is different from System Builder OEM (but it is possible that depending on the big box OEM that a System Builder OEM disk might activate, but not always).

Retail disks will not activate with a OEM Key and vice versa.
You can not activate an HP OEM install with a Dell OEM key and vice versa, etc..

Volume license keys will not activate on OEM or Retail disks and vice versa, etc. etc.
She obviously doesn't have System Builder OEM or Volume License so I am not addressing that as I dont' know for sure.

But Vista and WIndows 7 installers are not like XP as they can be used to install or reinstall either retail or OEM.

We do it all the time here, clean reinstalling to activate factory OEM licenses using a retail Vista or Win7 installer. Unlock all versions if necessary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2009   #28
Tepid

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote:
Unless there was some change in the way MS delivers it's media,
Well I can tell you that I have been through all of that with XP in the past, and had similar results, but things changed and you couldn't use some media with some keys. I can't find anything other than your post regarding this information anywhere on the net at this time. So, I am not spreading misinformation. I am going off of history.

Also, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. There is a lot of confusing info about Windows Licensing and Key usage. What I explained is general knowledge.

However, I hope that your explanation would be the case "as factually legal" (not what is possible) , cause it was a pain in the arse with XP.

I will try to do some more research on this. If you can provide links, then please do.

***************************
I had also suggested that she run HDD Diags and explained how to find what model hard drive she has, but that was pretty much ignored.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2009   #29
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
Also, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Well I certainly agree that one shouldn't bother clean reinstalling Vista or Win7 unless there is a license to activate it.

That was the point: manufacturers started enforcing bloatware so refused to provide clean copy DVD's, forcing users to use their own installers to clean reinstall, activating using the legal OEM license on the box.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
I had also suggested that she run HDD Diags and explained how to find what model hard drive she has, but that was pretty much ignored.
I'm sorry you missed that, Tepid, because it was at the top of my post you reference:
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
Well Acer should have gone through some trouble shooting and hardware diags. Which they probably did not.
Very good point. Susan, can you download and burn to CD the DOS diagnostics/repair disk for your HD? It is normally found on the Support Downloads page for your HD model. Seagate has Seatools, WD has Data Lifeguard, etc. I can find it for you but the HD make/model is not listed in the 8935G specs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2010   #30
SusanHC

Windows 7 and Vista
 
 

I received the replacement recovery discs from Acer yesterday but when I put them in the exact same problem happened as with my own discs - gets part way then says “Restore failed, error code 1117. Request could not be performed because of an I/O Device Error “
Could this be because I did a clean install of Vista 7?
I now have a wiped C drive and no operating system on laptop!
Btw HDD are made by Toshiba who don’t seem to do download diagnostic tools
Susan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can I restore back to Factory Settings Vista?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I reset my Laptop back to factory settings?
I own an HP Pavilion g7 laptop with W7 Home Premium x64 and I need to factory reset it. How do I do so? -Thanks Andrew
Performance & Maintenance
Put my laptop back to factory settings
I just spent 8 hours putting my laptop back to factory settings. I had a problem with the administrator and password and apparently that was my only choice. I downloaded all the Windows updates. I now have one update left and I get an error code 063 which indicates a registry problem. How could I...
Windows Updates & Activation
Restore Back To Factory Settings
Hi, I was wondering if I installed a Windows 8 Software and have Windows 7, if by resetting it to Factory Setting will go back to Windows 7. Also, I mean for sure!!
Installation & Setup
Is this the right way to restore my PC to factory settings?
So im looking to restore my PC to its factory settings and i need help from you guys :) so i saw from a video that says all i have to do is go to, Control panel->System and security->Backup And Restore->Recover system settings or your computer->Advanced recovery methods->Reinstall Windows (requires...
Installation & Setup
Setting back to factory Settings
I'm sure there is help here for this, but can't seem to find the right post. I want to set my PC Dell Inspiron 560 Windows 7, back to the factory settings as I just bought a new one and I'm selling this one. I have the CDs to do this, but when it comes on the screen, there is so much "jumble" on...
Installation & Setup
restore factory settings
how to restore factory settings widout any installation disc ..... plzz guyzz help me in dis .. :/ :?
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App