Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System restore works only manually

14 Apr 2010   #11
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Not sure whether they still make one when a program is being installed (as in Vista).
My system creates a point when I install a new Program. It also automatically creates points. On XP I found Norton 360 interfered with the system restore.
Not only on XP, also on Vista. Norton can block the restore process. You have to first disable Norton protection. I heard that this was fixed in Norton 2010 but I never tried it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Apr 2010   #12
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Not sure whether they still make one when a program is being installed (as in Vista).
My system creates a point when I install a new Program. It also automatically creates points. On XP I found Norton 360 interfered with the system restore.
Not only on XP, also on Vista. Norton can block the restore process. You have to first disable Norton protection. I heard that this was fixed in Norton 2010 but I never tried it.
The problem with disabling Norton is that it can be the devils own job to get it enabled again. I have found the easy way is to go into safe mode, which doesn't load Norton, do your system restore from there and reboot into normal mode when Norton will still be enabled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #13
DigDeep

Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Today I started my computer ,and there was no restore points. Whats going on in there.
Yeaterday ,when I installed uploads from internet manually it make system restore point, but today they are all gone, and I have none.

Please help me.

I downloaded file to make instan Restore pint, but I want that my Sys.restore works normal.
Like I said I can make it manually but they are not made automaticly.


Im runing sfc /scannow now.


Please --anyone.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Apr 2010   #14
DigDeep

Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DigDeep View Post
Today I started my computer ,and there was no restore points. Whats going on in there.
Yeaterday ,when I installed uploads from internet manually it make system restore point, but today they are all gone, and I have none.

Please help me.

I downloaded file to make instan Restore pint, but I want that my Sys.restore works normal.
Like I said I can make it manually but they are not made automaticly.


Im runing sfc /scannow now.


Please --anyone.



It didnt help. Only my windows are deactivated hehe.

Please can anyone help me with this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #15
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #16
DigDeep

Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Im glad I made manual system restore so I revert time and my windows are activated now
Sfcscan said everything is ok.

Quote:
But now I checked up when I made system restore and after restart and apllying it, system made automatic sys. restore at startup.

I dont know whats wrong with my computer, but I hope it stays like that.

Now I will try to install/uninstall program and i it make sys. restore then everything is ok.
EDIT:

My mistake it was just RESTORE OPERATION , NOW IM PISSED OFF. wHY??


I know that there is one way to make system restore work again, but i cant remeber the site.
You must turn off sys.restore and restart computer, and then turn it on again and restart again and sys. restore works. But dont know if its exactly like that, . I think you must do something in register to. It worked then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #17
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

I use to give the advice to turn off the SR and then on again, like you suggest and it worked half the time. I stopped giving that advice because the comment was made that all points that do exist will be lost.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2010   #18
DigDeep

Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
I use to give the advice to turn off the SR and then on again, like you suggest and it worked half the time. I stopped giving that advice because the comment was made that all points that do exist will be lost.

It worked I know, but As far as I remeber you should do something else (cant remeber what was it) delete prefetch or delete/reneme one registry key.

What the service name in windows 7. In xp it vas System Restore.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 System restore works only manually




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
System Restore Points - Manually Extract Files and Folders
How to Extract Files and Folders from System Restore Points in Windows 7 and Vista This will show you how to use a free program System Restore Explorer to be able to mount specific restore points to be able to browse and copy individual files and folders from a mounted restore point back into...
Tutorials
Task Schedule : Manually create system restore points
I would like to know how to manually create system restore points with Task Scheduler. There was a task automatically created last year, and I only noticed now that it's been having an error of (0x1). I do not have problems with system restore not running or anything like that, but I would...
Backup and Restore
How manually create a system restore point
Can't find how to manually create a system restore point
Backup and Restore
Fail to manually backup system restore files
Ok, I first put explorer so I can see C:\System Volume Information. Then I move into the folder. I can create both a folder and a .txt file. But when I try to copy the restore point files themselves I get access denied. I cant seem to take owner either. I both logged on as admin and just started...
Backup and Restore
System Restore works only intermittently
System Restore is creating restore points correctly, but many of them cannot be used. For many of the restore points, the following error message appears when I attempt a restore: "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed". The...
Backup and Restore
Restore System Image - Works Great
Well I needed to do a bit of messing around with some old hardware and drivers today. So I did a system image using the W7 option in Backup and restore. As it turned out I ended up having to do a restore of the system image, not that I was expecting anything else. :p Put it my repair disk booted up...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:10.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App