Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Making a system image-I think!

12 Jul 2010   #1
mistermouse

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Making a system image-I think!

Hi Everyone, I have just joined today so I may be posting this in the wrong place, please tell me if that is so. Just had new laptop for my son and tried to make a backup image to an external drive. All went OK and I then made a system repair disc after that, what I cannot understand is that the image took about 26GB of space yet when I went to the folder it seems to be 4KB in size. Have I done something wrong or is the 26GB just not visible. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Jul 2010   #2
The Howling Wolves

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

Here's one way to do this.
Any ? post back and help will be on its way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2010   #3
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello mistermouse, welcome to Seven Forums!



You may have better success with the free Macrium program at the link below, a lot of people are using it and say it's very good and reliable to use.


Macrium Reflect FREE Edition

Imaging with free Macrium
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jul 2010   #4
The Howling Wolves

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello mistermouse, welcome to Seven Forums!



You may have better success with the free Macrium program at the link below, a lot of people are using it and say it's very good and reliable to use.


Macrium Reflect FREE Edition

Imaging with free Macrium

BFK,
Did not know Macrium had a free edition.
hmmmmm learn something new everyday. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2010   #5
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by The Howling Wolves View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello mistermouse, welcome to Seven Forums!



You may have better success with the free Macrium program at the link below, a lot of people are using it and say it's very good and reliable to use.


Macrium Reflect FREE Edition

Imaging with free Macrium

BFK,
Did not know Macrium had a free edition.
hmmmmm learn something new everyday. Thanks.

My pleasure mate, I've never used it though, it's on my (ever growing) to do list.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2010   #6
mistermouse

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

OK thanks to you all, will try Macrium, but I will be back to pick your brains for sure as I find my way around this new OS. Thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2010   #7
The Howling Wolves

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by The Howling Wolves View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello mistermouse, welcome to Seven Forums!



You may have better success with the free Macrium program at the link below, a lot of people are using it and say it's very good and reliable to use.


Macrium Reflect FREE Edition

Imaging with free Macrium

BFK,
Did not know Macrium had a free edition.
hmmmmm learn something new everyday. Thanks.

My pleasure mate, I've never used it though, it's on my (ever growing) to do list.
I use Paragon System backup...........got it when giveaway of the day had it for a 24 hour period.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2010   #8
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I've used Macrium Relfect Free and it's easy to use. EaseUs todobackup is also free and works well. I like it as it can backup server OS's as well as desktop clients.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2010   #9
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mistermouse View Post
OK thanks to you all, will try Macrium, but I will be back to pick your brains for sure as I find my way around this new OS. Thanks again.


OK mate, we'll be around.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2010   #10
oldtraveler

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mistermouse View Post
OK thanks to you all, will try Macrium, but I will be back to pick your brains for sure as I find my way around this new OS. Thanks again.
I use it frequently with success.

Be sure to create the bootable recovery disk that is an option somewhere along the installation routine. Using the free Macrium Reflect you will have to have it to restore from an image.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Making a system image-I think!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is making an image on a PC same as a mac?
OK! I know this is a windows forum - but - I have always had such good advice here... I am very familiar with a PC - but I have to take an image of a OS X 10.4 Mac OS. Here is what I would like to do.... 1. Back Up the MAC OS 2. Reinstall this in a virtual machine. Anyone recommend a...
Backup and Restore
Creating a system image on DVDs vs. making factory OEM restore discs
Hello... A quick question for those who may know the answer. I've been pretty much designated "The Official Family I.T. Guy" I'm sure there are many of you who fit under this title LOL! My issue is trying to make factory OEM recovery discs for a brand new Samsung Laptop. I've been making...
Backup and Restore
Making an Image backup?
I want to make an image backup. I have read that you can not only make an image of all your programs. But make an image of your OS at the same time. I found this program DriveImage XML. Here are my questions about this process. 1. I do not know if this program is good or not. I want to know if...
Backup and Restore
Making a backup image
Just a thought, what's a reasonable time taken in creating a backup image given a C drive with no data, just Win7 plus a few small programs and Office Professional + Two Video editors and one photo editor.
Backup and Restore
Trouble making an iso image
Hi guys, Picked up a copy of windows 7 from my university today and have to return the disc to the college. I'm trying to make a copy of the disc so if anything happens in the future I'll have the disc and be able to reinstall. Problem is my computer only has one DVD drive. Normally when...
General Discussion
making a system image
i know how to make a system image and all that, but i have a question about what's stored. when you make a system image, does it only back up the essential framework of the OS so when you use it, it's like a fresh install? does it do that and backup programs too? or does is back up your entire hard...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:49.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App