Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I HATE Windows Live Mail

14 Jun 2010   #31
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vector90Ash View Post
1) I don't like the fact that after I've read emails in Live Mail, the messages stay on the server.
(I checked my mail yesterday on XP netbook, thru Outlook Express, and I had 57 emails which I'd already received thru Live Mail, on my Win7 PC!).

2) I don't like the idea of MS dictating which of my mails are junk - you never know what's been blocked.
Both of these can be controlled by you through options.
1) Under Tools-Accounts-Properties-Advanced look at Delivery.
2) Under Tools-Safety Options you can control junk mail with lots of choices.

Jim


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Jun 2010   #32
The Howling Wolves

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vector90Ash View Post
1) I don't like the fact that after I've read emails in Live Mail, the messages stay on the server.
(I checked my mail yesterday on XP netbook, thru Outlook Express, and I had 57 emails which I'd already received thru Live Mail, on my Win7 PC!).

2) I don't like the idea of MS dictating which of my mails are junk - you never know what's been blocked.
Both of these can be controlled by you through options.
1) Under Tools-Accounts-Properties-Advanced look at Delivery.
2) Under Tools-Safety Options you can control junk mail with lots of choices.

Jim
Phone Man
Ran across a cat picture you might like.
I HATE Windows Live Mail-tiger-running.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2010   #33
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709
 
 

Is Outlook Express out in full version for W7-64?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Jun 2010   #34
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Windows Live Mail is the replacement for Outlook Express.
Get it here:
Windows Live Mail

It is part of the free Windows Live Essentials package.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2010   #35
Vector90Ash

Win7 (7600) Home Prem 64 bit
 
 

I stand by my previous opinion, (although I independantly sorted the previous 2 issues I mentioned, so people can stop quoting me now, thanks), that Windows Live Mail sucks, big-time.
I'm sick of my mail not reaching people and theirs not reaching me.
There are plenty of people who are having similar problems (found with a quick Google search) because WLM is full of bugs which MS haven't sorted.
Today, I setup Mozilla Thunderbird, which works fine. It sends (people get my mail) and receives (I get their mail).
However... I can send from my hotmail account to Thunderbird, but cannot send in the other direction.
For some reason, my hotmail isnt receiving pop emails from anyone (I had several people send test messages), so it could be that the problem is with hotmail, rather than WLM.
Is there anything special you have to tweak with hotmail, for it to receive 'normal' emails - ie pop/smtp?
Or is it a cunning ploy by Microsoft, to make people switch over?
(Hotmail-hotmail messages are being sent and received fine).
Note - WLM isn't just a pop3 issue - it is affecting all my mail. The stuff I send and receive seems to be subject to a complete lottery of what gets through.
I never had any of these problems with Outlook Express, which I have been happily using for years.
I could always send and receive between my pop3 and hotmail, without this hassle.
After a web search I found this Hotmail Free POP3 and SMTP Access and Server Configuration Settings My Digital Life but like I said, it was never an issue, prior to Win7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2010   #36
PhreePhly

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vector90Ash View Post
I stand by my previous opinion, (although I independantly sorted the previous 2 issues I mentioned, so people can stop quoting me now, thanks), that Windows Live Mail sucks, big-time.
I'm sick of my mail not reaching people and theirs not reaching me.
There are plenty of people who are having similar problems (found with a quick Google search) because WLM is full of bugs which MS haven't sorted.
Today, I setup Mozilla Thunderbird, which works fine. It sends (people get my mail) and receives (I get their mail).
However... I can send from my hotmail account to Thunderbird, but cannot send in the other direction.
For some reason, my hotmail isnt receiving pop emails from anyone (I had several people send test messages), so it could be that the problem is with hotmail, rather than WLM.
Is there anything special you have to tweak with hotmail, for it to receive 'normal' emails - ie pop/smtp?
Or is it a cunning ploy by Microsoft, to make people switch over?
(Hotmail-hotmail messages are being sent and received fine).
Note - WLM isn't just a pop3 issue - it is affecting all my mail. The stuff I send and receive seems to be subject to a complete lottery of what gets through.
I never had any of these problems with Outlook Express, which I have been happily using for years.
I could always send and receive between my pop3 and hotmail, without this hassle.
After a web search I found this Hotmail Free POP3 and SMTP Access and Server Configuration Settings My Digital Life but like I said, it was never an issue, prior to Win7.
You are doing something wrong. I am running Windows Live Mail with three (3) POP3 accounts and a hotmail account and have not had a single e-mail not go through unless I screwed up and sent a too large file attachment to someone with limited capacity.

I've been running the Live Mail since I installed Win 7 when it came out on MSDN.

While it may not be the best or most feature filled mail client, it most certainly has no problem sending/receiveing mail.

PhreePhly
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2010   #37
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PhreePhly View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vector90Ash View Post
I stand by my previous opinion, (although I independantly sorted the previous 2 issues I mentioned, so people can stop quoting me now, thanks), that Windows Live Mail sucks, big-time.
I'm sick of my mail not reaching people and theirs not reaching me.
There are plenty of people who are having similar problems (found with a quick Google search) because WLM is full of bugs which MS haven't sorted.
Today, I setup Mozilla Thunderbird, which works fine. It sends (people get my mail) and receives (I get their mail).
However... I can send from my hotmail account to Thunderbird, but cannot send in the other direction.
For some reason, my hotmail isnt receiving pop emails from anyone (I had several people send test messages), so it could be that the problem is with hotmail, rather than WLM.
Is there anything special you have to tweak with hotmail, for it to receive 'normal' emails - ie pop/smtp?
Or is it a cunning ploy by Microsoft, to make people switch over?
(Hotmail-hotmail messages are being sent and received fine).
Note - WLM isn't just a pop3 issue - it is affecting all my mail. The stuff I send and receive seems to be subject to a complete lottery of what gets through.
I never had any of these problems with Outlook Express, which I have been happily using for years.
I could always send and receive between my pop3 and hotmail, without this hassle.
After a web search I found this Hotmail Free POP3 and SMTP Access and Server Configuration Settings My Digital Life but like I said, it was never an issue, prior to Win7.
You are doing something wrong. I am running Windows Live Mail with three (3) POP3 accounts and a hotmail account and have not had a single e-mail not go through unless I screwed up and sent a too large file attachment to someone with limited capacity.

I've been running the Live Mail since I installed Win 7 when it came out on MSDN.

While it may not be the best or most feature filled mail client, it most certainly has no problem sending/receiveing mail.

PhreePhly
I also am having no problems, but Vector90Ash may not necessarily be doing something wrong. Chances are it's some combination of settings/etc in his system that he may / may not even be aware of. Not to mention, some people can't get some programs to work right for them on any system, even if other people use them just fine; I don't know why, but it happens...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #38
EchoX860

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I love WLM, it does what I need it to do and nothing more.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #39
aussie

australia
 
 

I'm only new to Windows Live Mail and find it ok but for one problem,
The incoming mail time is incorrect, outgoing is fine, anyone got any solutions ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #40
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aussie View Post
I'm only new to Windows Live Mail and find it ok but for one problem,
The incoming mail time is incorrect, outgoing is fine, anyone got any solutions ?
Have you tried sending an email to yourself? What time was shown in the sent items folder and what time was shown in the inbox?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I HATE Windows Live Mail




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Live Mail not receiving calendar info from Outlook mail
Our Windows Live Mail accounts receive blank messages when someone sends a calendar appointment request from an Outlook account. The same message arrives correctly in a gmail account or in my Outlook account at work. Is this a Live Mail Configuration issue?
Browsers & Mail
Export mail and contacts from Outlook 2007 to Windows live mail 2012?
I have an Windows (Vista) notebook with outlook 2007, and now I have an new notebook with Windows 8.1. Where I want to export my mail & contact to Windows live mail, how can I import this in WLM on my other notebook? I already have configure my mail on WLM where I can receive and send messages....
Browsers & Mail
Windows Live Mail password request to recieve my ATT/Yahoo mail
In recent days I was asked by ATT.net Yahoo to change my password and did. Windows Live Mail will not allow a password (anything..?) change... and simply reverts to what was. I need to correct the password each time it opens and am able to receive receive mail, but.. WLM will not change...???
Browsers & Mail
Trouble importing Windows Live Mail to Windows Live Mail
Hi, I had to re install my OS. After I did that the fun of installing everything started and one of those things was Windows Live Mail. I've done this before when I bought my new computer and had some issues importing my mail as well which was the same idea, Live mail to Live mail. Now I'm...
Browsers & Mail
Can no longer send e-mail with Windows Live Mail, error 0x800ccc78
Hi, I have been using WLM for some years. Yesterday, it stopped sending emails and now just leaves them in the Outbox. Here is most of what appears in the error box: The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's email address. The sender's email address was...
Browsers & Mail
Things you Hate about Windows Live Essentials????
I use Windows 7 and I will enumerate my reasons to hate Windows Live Essentials: 1. I don't really like the way Microsoft allows you to install some of their software. They let you download a small setup file such as Office 2010 Beta , and running that setup file lets you download the rest of...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App