Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I HATE Windows Live Mail

21 Aug 2010   #51
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

You can always install Windows XP SP3 and use OE.. Windows 7 is not for everyone..Bottom line.. use what you are happy with...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Aug 2010   #52
PhreePhly

Windows 7 x64 (RTM via MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SeniorCitizen View Post
Update: I solved my problem. Disconnected new computer (windows 7) and again using old computer (windows 2000 Pro). I was FORCED to upgrade my operating system becuse of pop-ups advising "Your browser is outdated." But couldn't update to IE 8 because I had to update my OS first ! And I quit using Internet Explorer and am happily using Firefox. Have decided to stay clear of anything and everything, to best of my ability, that has to do with Microsoft.

PhreePhly "OE sucked ... absolute security nightmare ... Windows Live Mail is better ... Thank you MS for not having the e-mail program tied to the OS. This means we will get updates (one already and one in beta now) on a faster schedule."

My Reply: Some folks like the color red; I like blue. Some folks swear by Buicks; I luv my Chevy. It's all a matter of choice. Choice, like at Burger King I can have my burger "My Way".

And though I do not understand 'updates' except if there's a security flaw in the software, I say to myself "If they produced the software in perfect order at the beginning, and fixed all the flaws beforehand, updates wouldn't be needed!"

I don't want, nor need, all the whistles and bells that are bundled inside of Microsoft operating systems and software, i.e., Windows Live (or is it Windows Live Mail?) Power Point, etc. I don't want to be obliged to keep on my computer things I don't want or use. I like the MY WAY Burger King attitude!
And when you get hit by malware because you refuse to enter the 21st century, please don't come here complaining about MS operating systems. The color red has nothing to do with security. OE was designed at a time when security was not a top priority. It was insecure by design and needed a complete rewrite.

Sticking to Win2000 (an OS that is completely unsupported and nowhere near secure as Win 7) is frankly stupid given the internet and root kit capabilities available to the bad guys. If you don't plan on getting online at all, fine, use Win95, but if you are planning on going online with Win2000, then just put out a sign that reads "zombie available for free"

Software is not written bug free. There are some almost bug free systems available, but they cost more than the average home in Southern California. If you want bug free OSes, plan on getting a mortgage to run them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2010   #53
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SeniorCitizen View Post
Update: I solved my problem. Disconnected new computer (windows 7) and again using old computer (windows 2000 Pro). I was FORCED to upgrade my operating system becuse of pop-ups advising "Your browser is outdated." But couldn't update to IE 8 because I had to update my OS first ! And I quit using Internet Explorer and am happily using Firefox. Have decided to stay clear of anything and everything, to best of my ability, that has to do with Microsoft.

PhreePhly "OE sucked ... absolute security nightmare ... Windows Live Mail is better ... Thank you MS for not having the e-mail program tied to the OS. This means we will get updates (one already and one in beta now) on a faster schedule."

My Reply: Some folks like the color red; I like blue. Some folks swear by Buicks; I luv my Chevy. It's all a matter of choice. Choice, like at Burger King I can have my burger "My Way".

And though I do not understand 'updates' except if there's a security flaw in the software, I say to myself "If they produced the software in perfect order at the beginning, and fixed all the flaws beforehand, updates wouldn't be needed!"

I don't want, nor need, all the whistles and bells that are bundled inside of Microsoft operating systems and software, i.e., Windows Live (or is it Windows Live Mail?) Power Point, etc. I don't want to be obliged to keep on my computer things I don't want or use. I like the MY WAY Burger King attitude!
I am a senior citizen and I ditched XP for Win 7 in November 2009. I have have learned it and I like it. I share your feelings about Windows Live Mail; that I do not like at all.

I use Outlook which is part of Microsoft Office. It works very similar to Outlook Express and is a whole lot more secure. I have three email identities plus a fourth in Hotmail. All download fine into Outlook and go the separate folders in the inbox set up for each account. The Hotmail account has its own inbox separately from the other accounts and synchronizes with the online Hotmail account. I can send from any of the accounts I choose.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Aug 2010   #54
18pcs

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit
 
 

That is exactly my point. Windows 7 is not for everyone, if it was then Microsoft themselves wouldnt have introduced Virtual XP on seven. After years and years of using OE suddenly to be deprived of it, is what is driving me mad !. I am very happy otherwise with Seven, except for the email and WLM particularly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #55
Dobian

Windows 7
 
 

For those of you who hate Windows Live Mail and can't figure out how to get Windows Mail to work on Windows 7, this is what I did, and it is pretty simple. This assumes, of course, that you have all your Windows Mail .eml files archived off someplace, and still have your POP and SMTP settings from Windows Mail saved. Download Mozilla Thunderbird (which pretty much looks the same as Windows Mail), and go into your account settings to set up your mail server the same as it was on Windows Mail. Download emlbridge, which you can find on download.com. Run eml bridge. Where it says "Location of your email files", browse to the directory where your Windows Mail files are kept. Then on the "Special Transfers" tab in the top menu, click on "1 Quick Thunderbird Restore". It will find the Thunderbird email directory and display it, then you will be prompted to continue. Click the button, and the files will be converted and transferred over. Close and re-open Thunderbird, and there they are in a folder called emlbridge. You can then move the files from this folder into your inbox, delete the emlbridge folder, and you are done. If you have multiple Windows Mail folders for your archived emails, of course, you can move them over individually, and there will be an incremented emlbridge folder on Thunderbird for each folder you copy from (emlbridge-1, emlbridge-2, etc.). It's a piece of cake.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #56
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Interesting Dobian; that's almost the same procedure one would use to get your emails on to WLM. Except that in WLM you don't have download and run emlbridge. Just use "Import" from the file menu.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #57
wysiwyg

Vista Ultimate 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 18pcs View Post
That is exactly my point. Windows 7 is not for everyone, if it was then Microsoft themselves wouldnt have introduced Virtual XP on seven. After years and years of using OE suddenly to be deprived of it, is what is driving me mad !. I am very happy otherwise with Seven, except for the email and WLM particularly.
MS is keeping the stick-in-muds happy with VXP, using all that crappy old software.

I enjoyed learning LIVEMAIL its a great system, you can do far more with it than previous systems, OE was the pits, Win Mail was an improvement, but LM is smooth.

Just got Office 2007 so I'm starting to look at Outlook to see if its any better than Live, but so far its not looking very promising.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #58
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 18pcs View Post
That is exactly my point. Windows 7 is not for everyone, if it was then Microsoft themselves wouldnt have introduced Virtual XP on seven. After years and years of using OE suddenly to be deprived of it, is what is driving me mad !. I am very happy otherwise with Seven, except for the email and WLM particularly.
MS is keeping the stick-in-muds happy with VXP, using all that crappy old software.

I enjoyed learning LIVEMAIL its a great system, you can do far more with it than previous systems, OE was the pits, Win Mail was an improvement, but LM is smooth.

Just got Office 2007 so I'm starting to look at Outlook to see if its any better than Live, but so far its not looking very promising.
Come on now, Don't be a stick-in-the-mud, you need to look at office 2010
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #59
MWRed

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

I either must be really lucky, or I missed something somewhere.
I've set up WLM(client) twice on this PC(reformatted earlier this month).
There was no signing into Live or anything like that. It was really no different than setting up TBird when I used to use that. I don't understand how there can be so many problems when it' is as simple as it is. Even setting up 4 email accounts,passwords, and being able to view the 4 accts. separately was easy.

I'm glad there isn't a mail client tied to the OS anymore too. I didn't like Windows Mail, only for the fact that the email accounts can't be separated, which is why WLM is perfect.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2010   #60
wysiwyg

Vista Ultimate 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
Quote:

Just got Office 2007 so I'm starting to look at Outlook to see if its any better than Live, but so far its not looking very promising.
Come on now, Don't be a stick-in-the-mud, you need to look at office 2010
At 49 who's complaining.

PS. I've already looked and I can't see a lot of difference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I HATE Windows Live Mail




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Live Mail not receiving calendar info from Outlook mail
Our Windows Live Mail accounts receive blank messages when someone sends a calendar appointment request from an Outlook account. The same message arrives correctly in a gmail account or in my Outlook account at work. Is this a Live Mail Configuration issue?
Browsers & Mail
Export mail and contacts from Outlook 2007 to Windows live mail 2012?
I have an Windows (Vista) notebook with outlook 2007, and now I have an new notebook with Windows 8.1. Where I want to export my mail & contact to Windows live mail, how can I import this in WLM on my other notebook? I already have configure my mail on WLM where I can receive and send messages....
Browsers & Mail
Windows Live Mail password request to recieve my ATT/Yahoo mail
In recent days I was asked by ATT.net Yahoo to change my password and did. Windows Live Mail will not allow a password (anything..?) change... and simply reverts to what was. I need to correct the password each time it opens and am able to receive receive mail, but.. WLM will not change...???
Browsers & Mail
Trouble importing Windows Live Mail to Windows Live Mail
Hi, I had to re install my OS. After I did that the fun of installing everything started and one of those things was Windows Live Mail. I've done this before when I bought my new computer and had some issues importing my mail as well which was the same idea, Live mail to Live mail. Now I'm...
Browsers & Mail
Can no longer send e-mail with Windows Live Mail, error 0x800ccc78
Hi, I have been using WLM for some years. Yesterday, it stopped sending emails and now just leaves them in the Outbox. Here is most of what appears in the error box: The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's email address. The sender's email address was...
Browsers & Mail
Things you Hate about Windows Live Essentials????
I use Windows 7 and I will enumerate my reasons to hate Windows Live Essentials: 1. I don't really like the way Microsoft allows you to install some of their software. They let you download a small setup file such as Office 2010 Beta , and running that setup file lets you download the rest of...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App