Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Only use FireFox. Do I Need IE8 Updates?

15 Oct 2010   #1
Manigue

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bits SP1
 
 
Only use FireFox. Do I Need IE8 Updates?

Since I only use FireFox and don't ever use IE8 nor have it installed, I don't install any windows update for IE8.

Are any of the IE8 security updates required by FireFox?

Just want to make sure I am not failing to keep up with security changes.

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Oct 2010   #2
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Throughout Windows history, IE has been more than just a browser. It's been used by other applications such as Outlook, Word, Windows Explorer--basically any apps that need to render HTML. They all rely on IE to some degree. I don't know for sure to what degree 7 relies on IE compared to say XP but I'd suggest updating IE anyway. You can always disable it if you like.

How to Disable Internet Explorer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2010   #3
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

How have you activated your computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Oct 2010   #4
Manigue

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bits SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Throughout Windows history, IE has been more than just a browser. It's been used by other applications such as Outlook, Word, Windows Explorer--basically any apps that need to render HTML. They all rely on IE to some degree. I don't know for sure to what degree 7 relies on IE compared to say XP but I'd suggest updating IE anyway. You can always disable it if you like.

How to Disable Internet Explorer
Good idea. I forgot about the disable feature.
Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2010   #5
Manigue

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bits SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
How have you activated your computer?
Don't understand your question.

If you mean upon initial Windows 7 install, then at that time I was using IE8.

Later on, due to many freeze ups and problems, I uninstalled and switched to FireFox.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2010   #6
brummyfan

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Manigue View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
How have you activated your computer?
Don't understand your question.

If you mean upon initial Windows 7 install, then at that time I was using IE8.

Later on, due to many freeze ups and problems, I uninstalled and switched to FireFox.
You cannot uninstall IE8,you can only disable and when you disable it'll become dormant. I don't think any security updates for IE8 will have any effect on FF.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2010   #7
EchoX860

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I would since there's vulnerabilities out there for IE8 and I'm not sure whether those will affect you if you don't use IE8
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2010   #8
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brummyfan View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Manigue View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
How have you activated your computer?
Don't understand your question.

If you mean upon initial Windows 7 install, then at that time I was using IE8.

Later on, due to many freeze ups and problems, I uninstalled and switched to FireFox.
You cannot uninstall IE8,you can only disable and when you disable it'll become dormant. I don't think any security updates for IE8 will have any effect on FF.
I keep IE8 up todate for system reasons, as indicated, but now use FireFox without any apparent clashes.
I would have stayed with IE8 except iexplore.exe would regularly give application errors which I couldn't find the cause of.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2010   #9
polarbear

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

It doesn't hurt to keep it updated and can only protect your system more if other applications may rely upon it. GL
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Only use FireFox. Do I Need IE8 Updates?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Updates in Windows 7 (Firefox, Adobe, Java, etc)
Hi, Need some assistance here. Every time I try to do an update for Firefox plugins, ext, Java, Adobe updates, they work to a point. In other words, I get to the dialog box, asking me to Run, or cancel. But when I click Run, nothing happens. This occurs whether the update is for Java,...
Software
Firefox Updates
I have decided that I am not going to install the Firefox new versions every time they send one out, which is very often. It seems to always mess up some setting in my browser, I keep getting a prompt to install the new version. There was someone on here who did not install the new versions and...
Browsers & Mail
Firefox - Workarounds for Add-On incompatiblities with Firefox updates
Various methods for getting incompatible Firefox Add-Ons to work in newer browser versions Firefox Add-Ons depend on the developer of the Add-Ons to keep them up-to-date with current and future Firefox browser versions. There are some Add-Ons that that we may use and depend on that are poorly...
Tutorials
Firefox 4.0b12pre updates
Hi, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and using Minefield nightly builds, also x64. Is anyone else having a problem with Minefield updating properly? I need to go and download the full installer each time as the updater complains that Firefox is running and it can't update. Firefox is not running,...
Browsers & Mail
Mozilla halts Firefox security updates
more..
Browsers & Mail
Only firefox's working plus can't install any updates
Hye,it's my first time posting a thread here,i really need help with my problem,its almost been a month now. I'm using windows 7 professional. I'm not sure what's wrong with my connection,it says it's connected but the only internet based program i can use is Firefox. I can't use Internet...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:50.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App