Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hotmail account hacked?

19 Jan 2011   #11
Imperfect1

 
 

First line of defense is to, not only change your password, but to also change all "secret questions" and "answers." And the major email clients like Hotmail/MSN, Yahoo Mail, and probably GoogleMail as well, are now offering free services in which you can give them your cell phone number and they text you a secret code to allow you to get back into your email if the hacking locks you out.

Second, always "log out" of your email when you exit, rather than just hitting the exit X. Hitting the exit X doesn't end your email session, only logging out actually shuts it down. If you just press exit, that leaves it available to be hacked because technically, it's still open, even after you've gone.

Third, since most hacking is done through your address book, temporarily delete all contacts in your address book. Some sources advise leaving it this way for a week or more --- I think that's a matter of judgment. I deleted my address book several months ago after I was really badly hacked and oddly enough, have found that for the most part, I really can live without it. And the good news is that since I've deleted it, I haven't been hacked.

Sadly, getting a new account isn't really the answer, because the new account can just as easily get hacked some time in the future as well.

That last bit of information is the really bad news, and that is, many times your account is hacked by someone stealing your account information. And they use it from a totally separate location to send out the infected emails. So, since the problem isn't connected with your system, there is nothing you can do on your system to change it. And even changing your email wouldn't help because the hacker can still continue to send out infected emails from some other location, but using your old email information. The only way you might possibly be able to control it might be if there was some way to actually "cancel" or "delete" your email account. And even then, it may be possible for those phony emails to continue to go out.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Jan 2011   #12
mckillwashere

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post

That last bit of information is the really bad news, and that is, many times your account is hacked by someone stealing your account information. And they use it from a totally separate location to send out the infected emails. So, since the problem isn't connected with your system, there is nothing you can do on your system to change it. And even changing your email wouldn't help because the hacker can still continue to send out infected emails from some other location, but using your old email information. The only way you might possibly be able to control it might be if there was some way to actually "cancel" or "delete" your email account. And even then, it may be possible for those phony emails to continue to go out.
A little further detail about this is there are several Linux(as well as Windows and Mac) applications that allow you to send emails as literally anyone. You dont even have to open a link, or put your email address in anything. One method is mass spamming and the "hacker" or "spammer" will use email address that didnt return a mailer daemon return.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2011   #13
Corrine

Windows 7 & Windows Vista Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
Third, since most hacking is done through your address book, temporarily delete all contacts in your address book. Some sources advise leaving it this way for a week or more --- I think that's a matter of judgment. I deleted my address book several months ago after I was really badly hacked and oddly enough, have found that for the most part, I really can live without it. And the good news is that since I've deleted it, I haven't been hacked.
Imperfect1, if the computer is infected with a worm, the solution is removing the worm, not deleting the address book.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
That last bit of information is the really bad news, and that is, many times your account is hacked by someone stealing your account information. And they use it from a totally separate location to send out the infected emails. So, since the problem isn't connected with your system, there is nothing you can do on your system to change it. And even changing your email wouldn't help because the hacker can still continue to send out infected emails from some other location, but using your old email information. The only way you might possibly be able to control it might be if there was some way to actually "cancel" or "delete" your email account. And even then, it may be possible for those phony emails to continue to go out.
If the account is reclaimed, password changed, then access to the account is no longer possible. (Note: A keylogger on the computer is a different matter.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Jan 2011   #14
Imperfect1

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corrine;1194310 [/QUOTE
Imperfect1, if the computer is infected with a worm, the solution is removing the worm, not deleting the address book.
I appreciate what you're say Corrine, and I did run quite a few scans at the time, using Malwarebytes, TrendMicro and Avast. None of the scans turned up anything (which is fairly typical with this kinds of contact list/address book hacking). The problem occurred frequently over a period of months, with my email continually sending out bogus (infected) emails to everyone on my contact list. The only way to stop it was to delete the contacts --- and that worked!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2011   #15
Fayla

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Since you seem to have covered the common bases, do you ever connect your computer to wifi hotspots? Also, if there are any privacy options built into Hotmail (I don't know for sure), you should check what your Hotmail profile is sharing publicly and maybe reconfigure it to be more secure.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corrine;1194310 [/QUOTE
Imperfect1, if the computer is infected with a worm, the solution is removing the worm, not deleting the address book.
I appreciate what you're say Corrine, and I did run quite a few scans at the time, using Malwarebytes, TrendMicro and Avast. None of the scans turned up anything (which is fairly typical with this kinds of contact list/address book hacking). The problem occurred frequently over a period of months, with my email continually sending out bogus (infected) emails to everyone on my contact list. The only way to stop it was to delete the contacts --- and that worked!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2011   #16
Corrine

Windows 7 & Windows Vista Ultimate
 
 

Good point, Lost Colonist. Fortunately, Hotmail has covered it covered!

As included in the previously-linked Hotmail Security to Protect and Recover Your Account:
Quote:
Single-use codes
For times when you will be using a public computer (i.e., at an internet cafe, airport, coffee shop), All it takes is clicking "request a code", and a one-time use authentication code will be sent to a private proof point (mobile phone or alternate e-mail address). By using a single-use code on a public computer instead of your password, you avoid the chances of it being stolen by key-loggers.
In addition, the promised HTTPS Encryption was added in November: Hotmail Now Includes Full-Session HTTPS Encryption
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Hotmail account hacked?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
email account hacked, and receiving spam
i use microsoft outlook for my email accounts i have two email accounts. to simplify things, we will name them 1 and 2. account 1 gets forwarded to 2. recently, i started getting advertisements at account 1, weight loss, etc... i checked account 2, which is a gmail account, and none of these...
Browsers & Mail
Facebook account Hacked:please help
My face-book account is hacked....but here i have done one mistake i made account with same id which hacked....when i am going to repair with gmail account then it change my new account password rather than old one....what can i do please help....... is here any solution to get my previous...
Chillout Room
Windows Live account Hacked - Now Blocked
As per title, my Live email account has been hacked and now blocked. To recover the account I keep getting directed to a page that asks for all sorts of info. Best thing to do is just forget about the Live account I think.
Chillout Room
I think someone has hacked my Windows Live E-Mail account
I think someone has hacked my Windows Live E-Mail account. When i click remove it comes up with a box to send the information that it is being removed. But when i send it the email account is still there it just says lost. Now i can't remember if i set it up as another account for passwords and so...
Browsers & Mail
Can my Facebook Account be Hacked for Real.
First Im not asking how to HACK, people are talking that fb can be hacked bla bla bla, So for real, I want to know whether A facebook profile can be Hacked ? :confused:
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App