Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Live Mail query

27 Jul 2011   #1
DH59

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Windows Live Mail query

Hi,

I've just upgraded computers to one with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - prior to this my computer was Windows XP.

I used Outlook Express before, but obviously this has now gone, so I am contemplating WLM, which is already installed on the system. I was also thinking of trying Outlook, but still not sure.

I have managed to import the old OE messages and address book into WLM, with a bit of a performance, as I could not see the folders initially, but it seemed to sort itself out in the end.

I haven't set up any email accounts, as we have just changed service providers anyway, so I have decided to stick with my Hotmail accounts. And this is my issue.

I have two Hotmail accounts, normally checked online, and a Gmail account (hardly used, but valid and may be used for certain things), and a Yahoo account (used very little). I thought I would set them all up in WLM, but my question, particularly regarding the Hotmail accounts, as I have used them quite a lot over the past few years, is will all the existing emails online immediately download onto my system once the account is set up? Some I might need to download, but I have hundreds that I do not really want or need on my system.

I have not yet used WLM by signing in to my Live ID, and I'm not sure that this is what I want to do, really. Is this necessary, or what are the consequences of not using the Live ID?

Thanks for any pointers you can give me before I make a complete mess of things!

Diane


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Jul 2011   #2
Roderunner

Win7 H.Prem. 32bit+SP1
 
 

Hi DH59, here's how mine is set. I sign in with my Live ID, add my gmail account which is accessed using POP, and Gmail archives them for me, therefore I never lose an Email. ( see Gmail settings for other options )
As I don't use my Hotmail account very often, it is deleted. It is also where my contacts are stored, so they don't get lost. It then remembers my 'Safe' & 'Blocked' senders and the need to type Email addresses is not required.
More info if needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2011   #3
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DH59 View Post
Hi,

I've just upgraded computers to one with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - prior to this my computer was Windows XP.

I used Outlook Express before, but obviously this has now gone, so I am contemplating WLM, which is already installed on the system. I was also thinking of trying Outlook, but still not sure.

I have managed to import the old OE messages and address book into WLM, with a bit of a performance, as I could not see the folders initially, but it seemed to sort itself out in the end.

I haven't set up any email accounts, as we have just changed service providers anyway, so I have decided to stick with my Hotmail accounts. And this is my issue.

I have two Hotmail accounts, normally checked online, and a Gmail account (hardly used, but valid and may be used for certain things), and a Yahoo account (used very little). I thought I would set them all up in WLM, but my question, particularly regarding the Hotmail accounts, as I have used them quite a lot over the past few years, is will all the existing emails online immediately download onto my system once the account is set up? Some I might need to download, but I have hundreds that I do not really want or need on my system.

I have not yet used WLM by signing in to my Live ID, and I'm not sure that this is what I want to do, really. Is this necessary, or what are the consequences of not using the Live ID?

Thanks for any pointers you can give me before I make a complete mess of things!

Diane

Go ahead and setup your hotmail and gmail accounts into Windows Live Mail program.
You have to sign in with your Windows Live ID in order that Winodws Live will sync with all your accounts. It is important to do so.
Also while setting up the account, make sure you have " Leave a copy of messages at server " under Advanced tab.

P.S. I have 2 hotmail accounts and one Gmail account plus my default account set up in my Windows Live Mail.

Yahoo!mail is a different issue. Last time I check you need to pay $19.95 subscription fee to upgrade to Yahoo!Plus, without which you cannot set it into Windows Live Mail.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Jul 2011   #4
Roderunner

Win7 H.Prem. 32bit+SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Yahoo!mail is a different issue. Last time I check you need to pay $19.95 subscription fee to upgrade to Yahoo!Plus, without which you cannot set it into Windows Live Mail.
It works for me without upgrading.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2011   #5
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Yahoo!mail is a different issue. Last time I check you need to pay $19.95 subscription fee to upgrade to Yahoo!Plus, without which you cannot set it into Windows Live Mail.
It works for me without upgrading.
Unless that tutorial is misinforming....
excerpt :
This tutorial shows you how to setup Yahoo! Mail in Windows Live Mail: you will still be able to check you emails from a web browser, as you did before. Please note that in order to check your Yahoo! emails from an email program, you need to pay the yearly $20 for "Yahoo! Mail Plus" service. Third-party plugins like YPOPS allow you to bypass the paid subscription, but these will not be covered in this tutorial.

Despite of rumors according to which you are no longer required to have Yahoo! Mail Plus to check your account from Windows Live Mail, and you can use any regular (free) Yahoo! Mail accounts with Windows Live Mail, the official Yahoo! Mail documentation seems to indicate that you do still need the Yahoo! Mail Plus service.

Source of the info :
Setup Yahoo! Mail in Windows Live Mail

Using YPOPS has the " possible " danger of account being terminated by Yahoo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2011   #6
DH59

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Thanks for the replies.

I can do without setting up the Yahoo account, really. It's only connected with Yahoo Chat, which I rarely use, and for my Flickr account. I have actually read elsewhere that you can check the Yahoo mails, but cannot use WLM to reply to them.

So, as for the others, in addition, I also have a personal email account connected with the domain name for my website, which at the moment I am checking via webmail through my webhost's website. I presume this will still work if I'm signing in to WLM with my Live ID?

I understand the option to leave a copy on the server, but do I actually get a copy of the Hotmail emails downloaded onto my computer, or is WLM simply mirroring what's in the Hotmail message store?

I also have numerous folders in the Hotmail accounts that I created to save certain emails. How will that work once the account is set up in WLM? Do I recreate the folders locally, or will WLM 'see' them on Hotmail (similar question to previous one, really)?

Edit: Looking in the Gmail settings, do I need to disable POP as well as enable IMAP? Or do they both need to be enabled?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2011   #7
DH59

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Nearly there!

I have managed to set up the Gmail account as a test, and the emails (29) on the server were downloaded. However, I also noticed three unread emails under the Quick Views section. They could not have been Gmail emails, as that email address is only used for messages from Google services, and there are not many of those as I haven't made a lot of use of them. After I had viewed the three messages they disappeared from sight and I can't see any trace of them anywhere.

I suspect they may have been emails from one of my Hotmail accounts (even though I have not yet set that account up in WLM), which was associated to the Gmail account, mainly for logging in to a Blogger blog which is no longer used. I have now disassociated the two accounts, but the question is where have these emails gone?

I have checked all the Deleted folders, and all the folders on the Hotmail account itself, and they are completely gone! I did nothing with these emails other than read them.

I also managed to acquire 130 feed messages. I did some research on this, and have now managed to get rid of them and unsubscribed from these feeds. Not that I subscribed in the first place! I haven't used IE for years, and I certainly haven't made any use of feed subscriptions for anything. Microsoft being 'helpful' again!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2011   #8
DH59

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
You have to sign in with your Windows Live ID in order that Winodws Live will sync with all your accounts. It is important to do so.

Also while setting up the account, make sure you have " Leave a copy of messages at server " under Advanced tab.
I found the following info HERE regarding signing in with Live ID, so it looks as if I only need to do that if I want to use the listed features, which I am doubtful I will.

And on the Gmail account properties, I can't see any option to leave a copy on the server, but I presume that will happen by default if set as IMAP?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2011   #9
Roderunner

Win7 H.Prem. 32bit+SP1
 
 

This image shows my settings for Gmail.

Windows Live Mail query-rr.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2011   #10
DH59

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Thanks Roderunner.

There are some differences: In Gmail I have IMAP Enabled and POP Disabled. And in WLM settings for the Gmail account, I do not have the Delivery option at the bottom of the window. My incoming mail is set to IMAP and port 993.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Live Mail query




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Live Mail not receiving calendar info from Outlook mail
Our Windows Live Mail accounts receive blank messages when someone sends a calendar appointment request from an Outlook account. The same message arrives correctly in a gmail account or in my Outlook account at work. Is this a Live Mail Configuration issue?
Browsers & Mail
Export mail and contacts from Outlook 2007 to Windows live mail 2012?
I have an Windows (Vista) notebook with outlook 2007, and now I have an new notebook with Windows 8.1. Where I want to export my mail & contact to Windows live mail, how can I import this in WLM on my other notebook? I already have configure my mail on WLM where I can receive and send messages....
Browsers & Mail
Windows Live Mail password request to recieve my ATT/Yahoo mail
In recent days I was asked by ATT.net Yahoo to change my password and did. Windows Live Mail will not allow a password (anything..?) change... and simply reverts to what was. I need to correct the password each time it opens and am able to receive receive mail, but.. WLM will not change...???
Browsers & Mail
Trouble importing Windows Live Mail to Windows Live Mail
Hi, I had to re install my OS. After I did that the fun of installing everything started and one of those things was Windows Live Mail. I've done this before when I bought my new computer and had some issues importing my mail as well which was the same idea, Live mail to Live mail. Now I'm...
Browsers & Mail
windows 7 32bit live mail with time warner wi rr/ sending e-mail
I can receive mail and send mail but the target does not receive it, I get no error message but my sent box says it was sent, this has been going on now for about at least three weeks, I have sent mail out of roadrunner direct with no problem, I have been using this program for about three years...
Browsers & Mail
Can no longer send e-mail with Windows Live Mail, error 0x800ccc78
Hi, I have been using WLM for some years. Yesterday, it stopped sending emails and now just leaves them in the Outbox. Here is most of what appears in the error box: The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's email address. The sender's email address was...
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:14.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App