Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Firefox cookies acting strange

13 Aug 2009   #1
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
Firefox cookies acting strange

Hello geeks. I have a strange problem or rather a small nuisance with Firefox 3.0.13.

I first noticed this Firefox changed my SevenForums theme. I tried to change it back to my favorite "Seven Blue" theme. Page reloads, but theme does not change. Only theme I can use is SF default.

Now I noticed the same issue with a couple other websites where I want to make cookie based changes. Only way to do that is to clear all cookies always when launching Firefox. For example logging out from SF clears the SF cookies but it is not enough to solve my problem.

About same time my SevenForums gadget stopped refreshing. Now when I want to refresh SF gadget, I have to close and restart.

Even this is not a problem per se, it is annoying. If you have an idea, please let me know.

Kari


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Aug 2009   #2
johnwillyums

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Do you have the Skype addon?. This caused me all sorts of weird problems.

Cheers, John
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2009   #3
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Hello geeks. I have a strange problem or rather a small nuisance with Firefox 3.0.13.

I first noticed this Firefox changed my SevenForums theme. I tried to change it back to my favorite "Seven Blue" theme. Page reloads, but theme does not change. Only theme I can use is SF default.

Now I noticed the same issue with a couple other websites where I want to make cookie based changes. Only way to do that is to clear all cookies always when launching Firefox. For example logging out from SF clears the SF cookies but it is not enough to solve my problem.

About same time my SevenForums gadget stopped refreshing. Now when I want to refresh SF gadget, I have to close and restart.

Even this is not a problem per se, it is annoying. If you have an idea, please let me know.

Kari

Kari

One other thing I found out abt gadget is that when you set the skin set to default (in userCP)and then change it on the page it doesnt refresh and displays distorted. I forget exactly what it was but user darknovagundam (steve) had the problem and would remember.

Might also explain the firefox issue. Just a guess on my part

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Aug 2009   #4
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johnwillyums View Post
Do you have the Skype addon?. This caused me all sorts of weird problems.

Cheers, John
No. I really don't like it, it looks so out of scale with all these buttons around the phone numbers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #5
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
Solved!

First, problem was even worse I had imagined. I simply could not logout from any website where I had chosen this cookie based "Stay logged in" option. Firefox was all the time telling I don't have cookies enabled even they were. I have several Youtube accounts, but when trying to log in to account I use to post videos only for my family to see, I couldn't because Youtube didn't let me first logout from an other account.

At the same time I was not able to change anything. I tried to change theme or widgets on my iGoogle homepage, nothing happened. Same with for example SevenForums theme, Firefox allowed only the default theme.

My thanks and rep goes to Ken (zigzag3143) who patiently spend time with me chatting in SevenForums gadget and PM'ing with me. He gave me the solution:

I had to make a backup of my Firefox profile, which I did with add-on FEBE (tipped by Ken). Then completely uninstall Firefox choosing "Remove my personal data and customizations". Reinstall FF, restoring profile with FEBE and problem solved.

Really weird issue, I'm happy Ken was online and willing to help.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Kari

My pleasure. the three things FF users need are febe to backup profile, delete vbulletin cookies, and re-install FF

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2009   #7
A320

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
First, problem was even worse I had imagined. I simply could not logout from any website where I had chosen this cookie based "Stay logged in" option. Firefox was all the time telling I don't have cookies enabled even they were. I have several Youtube accounts, but when trying to log in to account I use to post videos only for my family to see, I couldn't because Youtube didn't let me first logout from an other account.

At the same time I was not able to change anything. I tried to change theme or widgets on my iGoogle homepage, nothing happened. Same with for example SevenForums theme, Firefox allowed only the default theme.

My thanks and rep goes to Ken (zigzag3143) who patiently spend time with me chatting in SevenForums gadget and PM'ing with me. He gave me the solution:

I had to make a backup of my Firefox profile, which I did with add-on FEBE (tipped by Ken). Then completely uninstall Firefox choosing "Remove my personal data and customizations". Reinstall FF, restoring profile with FEBE and problem solved.

Really weird issue, I'm happy Ken was online and willing to help.

Kari
hmmmm I wonder if this is the solution I am looking for to the the problem I posted in my thread here:

Firefox won't stay logged in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Firefox cookies acting strange




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Help please, laptop acting very strange
About a month ago my laptop would not boot up at all. It would just go to a "windows shut down unexpectedly and when I tried to start windows normally it would not boot up at all. So I chose go back to last know configuration and it booted up. Since then I have had several unexpected shutdowns with...
BSOD Help and Support
my pc is acting strange?
hi guys,im new to this page,and i,m a bit afraid on my situation.I,ve been having problems with my computer,the 1 sign is that the cd/dvd drive opens and closes by itself like when i open the cd/dvd drive it closes by itself,like someone or something is telling to do that,and it happens when i,m...
General Discussion
system acting strange
Hello all iv been experince some wierd behavior when in windows and am in need of help. basicy my system seems to just freez up when i do things..example i will be installing a program and it will hang. my harddrive led will constanly blink and my system wil become unresponsive and then suddenly...
Performance & Maintenance
Cookies - Strange Alphanumeric Names ?
Hi, I have just gone to clear out some cookies in the hidden folder and when I got to them I found a load of strange named cookies with names like A3B69KU.txt. I thought that it was all junk so deleted them. However, when going back to websites with logins that were classed as "Remember Me"...
Browsers & Mail
My computer is acting very strange! Help....
Hi Guys, You know when you're downloading something, you can hear the computer working and the light on the Pc keeps blinking. Well, my computer is doing this onstop so I figure that something is wrong. I tried to looked for virus so I did some scan with "Malwarebytes", "MSE Anti-virus" & "Spybot"...
System Security
Pc acting very strange
Hi guys, On my sisters pc, I press the button to turn on but the only thing that starts is the processor and the graphic card fans spins up, the HD doesnt or the dvd drive wont open and the screen doesnt come on either just acts like its in standby (by that I mean the light flashes). its very...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App