Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to remove Bing toolbar?

15 Feb 2012   #41
Saint Andrew

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features

Right click on empty space on the toolbar and click Uninstall


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Feb 2012   #42
endeavor

Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86/x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Saint Andrew View Post
Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features

Right click on empty space on the toolbar and click Uninstall
yes but No, not really, however this thread has gone over the different caveats of this already, which is on an untouched or virgin install of Windows 7 SP0 or SP1 that option is Not there at all unless one afterwards initiated an install of a different Provider there, but more importantly when you have the option, it doesn't really fully remove the Search Box itself from displaying on the bar - which is the reason of the OP. The option I provided is not new either, but it IS the way to remove (actually hide) the Search Box from displaying at all (if that's what one wants) for those who have no other way to do so... tested and proven.... Method
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2012   #43
leonvictor2012

windows XP2 32 bit
 
 

To uninstall Bing Bar from your computer
1. Close IE and Firefox browsers.
2. Click Start menu >Settings >Control Panel >click Add\Remove programs
3. Select Bing Bar from the list of installed programs shown and click remove to uninstall Bing Bar.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Jun 2012   #44
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leonvictor2012 View Post
To uninstall Bing Bar from your computer
1. Close IE and Firefox browsers.
2. Click Start menu >Settings >Control Panel >click Add\Remove programs
3. Select Bing Bar from the list of installed programs shown and click remove to uninstall Bing Bar.
It's been 4 years and 43 posts since this thread began. I wonder whether this procedure has been suggested before.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2012   #45
endeavor

Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86/x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roncerr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leonvictor2012 View Post
To uninstall Bing Bar from your computer
1. Close IE and Firefox browsers.
2. Click Start menu >Settings >Control Panel >click Add\Remove programs
3. Select Bing Bar from the list of installed programs shown and click remove to uninstall Bing Bar.
It's been 4 years and 43 posts since this thread began. I wonder whether this procedure has been suggested before.
Yes it was suggested before and leonvictor evidently did not read the whole thread; what he wrote has been suggested & tested before in post #30 & post #41 just to mention the last two, but it's still Not the answer.

However I see he may only have WXP installed? ...and this forum & thread is for Windows 7

The best answer is from post # 40 which will remove the Bing Bar, was tested and confirmed, and gives an easy undo to put it back if ever wanted as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2012   #46
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by endeavor View Post
...The best answer is from post # 40 which will remove the Bing Bar, was tested and confirmed, and gives an easy undo to put it back if ever wanted as well.
In IE8 there is a box in the upper right corner called the "search box". The gpedit (and corresponding registry edit) change you suggested "Prevents Internet Explorer Search box from displaying". I think the "Bing bar" is a separate tool bar that is added as an IE Add-on: Bing Bar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2012   #47
endeavor

Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86/x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roncerr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by endeavor View Post
...The best answer is from post # 40 which will remove the Bing Bar, was tested and confirmed, and gives an easy undo to put it back if ever wanted as well.
In IE8 there is a box in the upper right corner called the "search box". The gpedit (and corresponding registry edit) change you suggested "Prevents Internet Explorer Search box from displaying". I think the "Bing bar" is a separate tool bar that is added as an IE Add-on: Bing Bar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You are pointing to the extra bing 'add-on' that you have to separately install. I can see it may be confusing for some and so let's set the record straight, thanks for bringing it up roncerr.

The Original Post to this thread and what I was and thought most of us since then were talking about, is what comes stock with Windows 7 w/IE8, and that is the stock Bing Search Toolbar or Search Box..which ever way you want to say it. When you type anything into it, it will bring you directly to Bing . com

The two reg fixes I give in my Post # 40 will easily either Remove this Bing Search Bar/Box, or put it back.

Perhaps a Screenshot will help to clear this all up, and it will show specifically what Bing Search Bar/Box is being referred to.

Here's A Screenshot of the Bing Search Bar/Box in a stock Windows 7 w/IE8, turned either On or Off
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2012   #48
leonvictor2012

windows XP2 32 bit
 
 

To uninstall Bing Bar from your computer
1. Close IE and Firefox browsers.
2. Click Start menu >Settings >Control Panel >click Add\Remove programs
3. Select Bing Bar from the list of installed programs shown and click remove to uninstall Bing Bar.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2012   #49
endeavor

Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86/x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leonvictor2012 View Post
To uninstall Bing Bar from your computer
1. Close IE and Firefox browsers.
2. Click Start menu >Settings >Control Panel >click Add\Remove programs
3. Select Bing Bar from the list of installed programs shown and click remove to uninstall Bing Bar.

leonvictor2012,
Why are you posting in a Windows 7 Forum when as you say only have WXP installed? You are posting in the wrong forum.

FWIW though on Windows 7 there is no more Add/Remove programs entry, it's Programs and Features.
Secondly, I'm looking at it right now, there is absolutely no Bing listing there on a Stock Fresh Windows 7 IE8 install, aamof there are not any listings yet in Programs and Features unless you install something, having said that the simple Bing Toolbar Searchbox that this thread was talking about as shown in previous screenshots comes stock with Windows 7 and therefore is not even listed nor uninstallable - you can only hide it.

If You installed the 'extra add-on Bing Full Toolbar' on your WXP then that's not what this thread is about.

If someone installs that 'extra add-on Bing Full Toolbar' program on Windows 7 then naturally that will show up in Programs and Features to uninstall itself as with any extra programs that you install. (similar with WXP in CP A/R)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2012   #50
roncerr

Windows 8 Pro w/MC 32-bit
 
 

Perhaps another answer exists as well, since the OP wasn't clear about what he meant by removing Bing. So far there have been posts about removing the Bing Bar via Programs and Features and about removing the Search Box in the upper right corner of IE8 using gpedit or regedit. However the search box can also be used by other search engines. Bing can be removed from it by changing the default search provider. Once a new provider is set as default, Bing can be removed from the drop down list entirely. These actions are accomplished with Tools/Manage Add-ons/Search Providers. Use the link to "Find more Search Providers". Any provider in the list can be selected and "removed" or "set as default" as long as the list contains more than one provider.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to remove Bing toolbar?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to remove Bing
I have Bing on my IE, and I want to get rid of it because I don't use it, nor need it, or want it. However, this is difficult because its still under my add-ons, even though its disabled, and it keeps on appearing among my sites under new tab (I recently used CCleaner to clean my computer). Is...
Browsers & Mail
Bing toolbar
I have windows 7 desktop,I have tried to get rid of the BING toolbar but it keeps popping up with windows updates. Is there a way that I can stop this and get rid of the BING altogether? Many thanks.
Windows Updates & Activation
IE9 & Bing Toolbar
I downloaded the toolbar but when I try to use any off the icons nothing happens. What is the big secret:rolleyes::rolleyes: Thanks
Browsers & Mail
Bing toolbar for IE
If, like me, you don't use tool bars you'll find that at some stage you are forced to install Microsoft's Bing Bar without even knowing you're doing it... After installing the following update - "Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack" you will find that the next time you open IE (and...
Browsers & Mail
Remove Explorer toolbar?
Hi. Is there an easy way (setting, registry key, etc.) to remove the default toolbar on Explorer windows (the one with Organize, Share with, Burn, etc.)? It's just in the way since I never use it. Thanks.
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:59.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App