Supermium 121 - Updated Chromium browser for Windows 7


  1. Posts : 57
    Windows 7 Pro x64
       #1

    Supermium 121 - Updated Chromium browser for Windows 7


    Chromium 121 has been back-ported to work with older Windows OSes (XP, Vista, 7,8 & 8.1) In this screenshot I was able to install Ublock Origin. I tried Brave and Regular Chrome and got an error "Item currently unavailable". Google won't let you download extensions from the Chrome Web Store with older browsers anymore.



    From author's GitHub page:

    Supermium

    An up-to-date Chromium-based web browser compatible with Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 7 and 8.x.
    The Supermium web browser also provides the following features:
    -Aero Glass and Aero Glass-style titlebars instead of Windows 10-style ones (#force-xp-theme in chrome://flags for the latter)
    -Turnaround for major vulnerability patches generally less than one week from upstream disclosure
    -A functional sandbox for enhanced security
    -Google Sync
    -On Windows 7 and up, Widevine CDM support for viewing DRM content
    -GDI font rendering, using #force-gdi in chrome://flags
    -Persistent dark mode on the browser's UI elements, using #force-dark-mode in chrome://flags
    -Custom tab options including trapezoidal tabs, transparent tabs, and outlined tabs
    -Many flags from ungoogled-chromium
    -Support for SSE2-only processors in the 32 bit build
    Future support for:
    -Windows 2000
    -Ungoogled Chromium features (in progress)
    -WebGPU for D3D9 renderer
    -Manifest V2 (once removed by Google)
    ...and more! If there's a feature you want, which cannot be replicated by a Manifest v2/v3 extension, please ask!

    GitHub - win32ss/supermium: Chromium fork for Windows XP/2003 and up

    You can follow the news about the browser at MSFN:

    Supermium - Browsers working on Older NT-Family OSes - MSFN

    This is good news considering Mozilla will stop updating Firefox later this year. You can download the latest release here:

    Release Version 121.0.6167.81 Hotfix . win32ss/supermium . GitHub
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 9
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
       #2

    I would say this is great, for example Netflix and Prime video no longer seem to work inside Edge 109, this is definitely great news.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 57
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #3

    This is a game changer. One thing of note is the author's commitment to continue supporting Manifest V2. Google had planned to implement Manifest V3 which would severely cripple ad-blocking extensions but have delayed the change.

    Chrome’s “Manifest V3” plan to limit ad-blocking extensions is delayed | Ars Technica

    It's great that we have a modern browser for legacy OSes that gets updated fairly regularly. Wish someone would do the same for Firefox once Mozilla ends support for Windows 7 later this year.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 503
    Windows 7 x64 SP1
       #4

    YmodemYNot said:
    This is a game changer. One thing of note is the author's commitment to continue supporting Manifest V2. Google had planned to implement Manifest V3 which would severely cripple ad-blocking extensions but have delayed the change.

    Chrome’s “Manifest V3” plan to limit ad-blocking extensions is delayed | Ars Technica

    It's great that we have a modern browser for legacy OSes that gets updated fairly regularly. Wish someone would do the same for Firefox once Mozilla ends support for Windows 7 later this year.
    I would bet someone will. There are so many windows 7 users around, and that number could actually grow as more people decide that, no, they will not buy a new computer just to satisfy Microsoft's need for control. some will go to Linux, but many will look into whether W7 can still be used effectively and safely. And some will keep using Windows 8.1 or 10 on their perfectly good computer. but enough, of course, will jump whenever Ms says jump. Sigh.......
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,849
    Windows 7 pro
       #5

    It installed itself in my local/app data folder but it was happy being moved into /program files. If you do this and have multiple users on the system you might want to leave the user data folder in AppData\Local\Supermium that way everyone has their own bookmarks and no shared history. It actually created that folder when I ran it on a different account than the one I used to install it. I use a non-elevated account for my day to day computer use.

    I don't like that experiments button in the upper right hand corner especially when it decides to send me a nag. Also I wasn't able to disable the new tab page. I hate such pages. It's set to open up google by default. Plus it's prompted me a few times to set it as the default browser. I hope that stops.

    - - - Updated - - -

    It's not working for me on xp.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 181
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
       #6

    I am running Discord on Windows 7.
    Discord has sent a notice, As of March 15th, 2024, Discord will no longer be supported on Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1.
    Supermium 121 - Updated Chromium browser for Windows 7-image.png

    Anyway to patch Supermium (onto Discord? or Windows 7?) so that could run Discord on Windows 7?

    It's NOT a browser's issue. but still a Chromium-related.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 9
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
       #7

    discord's exe client will continue to work even after the end of support, there will simply be no more updates to the client, i personally use it from browsers, both edge and firefox, and for me it works much faster this way than its .exe program, so as long as discord supports those browser versions, 109 for edge and 115 for firefox, you will have the latest versions of discord, in the future you can always switch to supermium and continue to use it.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 57
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #8

    townsbg said:
    I don't like that experiments button in the upper right hand corner especially when it decides to send me a nag. Also I wasn't able to disable the new tab page. I hate such pages. It's set to open up google by default. Plus it's prompted me a few times to set it as the default browser. I hope that stops.
    - - - Updated - - -
    It's not working for me on xp.
    Add this to your command prompt to stop the set as default browser prompt:

    --no-default-browser-check

    The latest version 122 now works in Windows XP. Keep in mind this is essentially Chrome 122 so all of Chrome's annoyances will be present in Supermium such as the experiments button.

    siliconbeaver said:
    I am running Discord on Windows 7.
    Discord has sent a notice, As of March 15th, 2024, Discord will no longer be supported on Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1.
    Supermium 121 - Updated Chromium browser for Windows 7-image.png

    Anyway to patch Supermium (onto Discord? or Windows 7?) so that could run Discord on Windows 7?

    It's NOT a browser's issue. but still a Chromium-related.
    I don't use Discord so have no way of testing - maybe changing the user agent with an extension to spoof Windows 10 will help.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27.
Find Us