Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Why do people say IE is slow?

06 Dec 2009   #51
satchmo

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
 
 

All I know is that I used Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome. I used all three extensively.

And for me, the winner is clearly Chrome. Back before IE8 and FF3 even existed, Chrome was kicking butts.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Dec 2009   #52
rokudan

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
1. They hate Microsoft,
2. They heard from somebody who heard from somebody else that years ago it was slower,
3. They are Firefox (or Chrome - or basically anything not IE) fanatics,
4. They are biased, unprofessional IT media seeking and exploiting sensationalism.
QFT!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2009   #53
bcmalloy

windows 7 x64
 
 

IE is usually considered bad because of it's historically bad security record it has little to do with speed or anything else. IE is usally targeted by hackers because every windows os has IE installed. that reminds me I have to uninstall it from windows 7 THE FIRST windows you have this option
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Dec 2009   #54
Digerati

Windows 7 Profession 64-bit
 
 

So in other words - for no apparent reason at all!

IE8 is not IE6 and as you said - IE's history on security has nothing to do with people complaining about speed. And the fact it is targeted by bad guys does not either.

But let's be realistic here. FF is not without it's "growing" share of known vulnerabilities either (11 new "critical" vulnerabilities just this last October), and is more and more a target as its popularity grows too. How about this for an eyeopener: Firefox tops list for reported vulnerabilities in 2009!. And talk about biased reporting - see how the reporter "spins" this abysmal statistic into a... ..."good" thing?

It is relayed biases through comments like yours that turn people away from a perfectly good product. Let's not forget there are nearly 1 Billion Windows computers out there, with the vast majority running just fine, infection free with Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, IE7 or IE8, AVG Free (or something similar), and with Windows Update on full automatic.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2009   #55
dave1812

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bcmalloy View Post
IE is usually considered bad because of it's historically bad security record it has little to do with speed or anything else. IE is usally targeted by hackers because every windows os has IE installed. that reminds me I have to uninstall it from windows 7 THE FIRST windows you have this option
Let's not forget the UI sucks (comparatively, if not simply when taken on it's own), and a lack of customization certainly provides no benefit to IE lovers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2009   #56
Digerati

Windows 7 Profession 64-bit
 
 

Quote:
Let's not forget the UI sucks
Oh yeah - that not biased. You are just slamming to slam! That's not a benefit to any user.

Your opinion is like rear-ends - everyone has one, and they all stink.

Oh, and for the record, you are wrong anyway. IE allows for many customizations - perhaps not as many as some other browsers, but that has nothing to do with speed, or security. Let's stick to objective facts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2009   #57
dave1812

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Quote:
Let's not forget the UI sucks
Oh yeah - that not biased. You are just slamming to slam! That's not a benefit to any user.

Your opinion is like rear-ends - everyone has one, and they all stink.

Oh, and for the record, you are wrong anyway. IE allows for many customizations - perhaps not as many as some other browsers, but that has nothing to do with speed, or security. Let's stick to objective facts.
LOL! I was wondering when someone would complain about that! LOL! I wrote that a bit "tongue in cheek" because of all the chevy/ford-type comments that browser wars bring out! LOL!!! Not to mention I offered no specifics of why I think the UI "sucks".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2009   #58
bcmalloy

windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Quote:
Let's not forget the UI sucks
Oh yeah - that not biased. You are just slamming to slam! That's not a benefit to any user.

Your opinion is like rear-ends - everyone has one, and they all stink.

Oh, and for the record, you are wrong anyway. IE allows for many customizations - perhaps not as many as some other browsers, but that has nothing to do with speed, or security. Let's stick to objective facts.
No your fractaly wrong if IE is so great what possible explanations do you have why millions of people spend the time and trouble installing new browsers over IE and often stick with them? The real question is why can a bunch of people can make a product for free and give it away that is Superior to a supposedly professionally produced MS product?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2009   #59
severedsolo

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

i just like firefox... i know people say tis quicker to load, but not really, its just IE does its loading AFTER opening the window, so it looks like its crashed, but FF does it before hand so your waiting 10 seconds before your window appears, but i like FF's add ons, and i just have this little nagging feeling, 60% of the worlds browsers are IE which one are people going to try and virus? (im aware im living in a false sense of security, FF is probably just as vulnerable as its almost as popular,) if you like IE use IE, i just happen to like FF so i use it, i tried Opera for a bit, quite liked it, but there are too many quirks, and when im online, i just want to find my site and get on with it, not deal with Opera occasionally throwing a paddy, (having said that IE7 did that too... i dont know about 8, all i use it for is downloading stuff from MS and installing Firefox, but Firefox has crashed on me i think... twice in a whole year, which isnt bad) and i prefer the way FF looks, i just wish it had jumplists
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2009   #60
Digerati

Windows 7 Profession 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bcmalloy
No your fractaly wrong
You demonstrate the same biases but you don't even present a valid argument - in fact, you didn't present any facts. The charge was IE sucks and that it is not customizable. Well, "IE sucks" was not cute, original, or informative the first time he said it. The second time was even less so.

You justify your comments with nothing but subjectives. The "FACTS" are 100s of millions of people are very happy with IE. The FACTS are IE6 had lots of problems and FF offered an alternative that (AT THE TIME) was not targeted by bad guys and now IE8 is still fighting that stigma and FF now has the honors of more identified critical flaws for 2009. The FACTS are no product is perfect and it is those imperfections, as perceived by each individual, as well as the rhetoric they hear that entices them to seek alternatives. There is no, nor will there ever be one browser, one OS, one word processor, one CPU, one graphics engine, or one brand of pickup truck that is perfect for everyone.

And note your own statement, "and often stick with them?". Often, yes. But often too, after trying those alternatives, they discover the grass really isn't greener on the other side and they come back.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by severedsolo
i just have this little nagging feeling, 60% of the worlds browsers are IE which one are people going to try and virus?
That's an invalid argument now, just as it was with IE6. But you are correct when you say you are living with a false sense of security, but not for the reason you state.

As I told many of my colleagues years ago when they were insisting all IE6 users were insecure and we all need to switch to FF, it is not the vulnerabilities in a browser that causes a machine to get infected, it is poor user discipline at practicing safe computing. When I would asked how many of them STOPPED getting infecting ONLY by switching to FF, none had because they weren't getting infected. Why? Because they used a good AV, a software based firewall, often a router, they kept Windows current and patched, and they avoided risky practices like using pirated software, visiting illegal porn and gambling sites and did not participate in P2P filesharing of copyrighted materials - all the necessary things every user needs to do REGARDLESS the browser of choice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Why do people say IE is slow?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Take a bow, people everywhere
Although I'm getting on in years I do try to keep up with the fast-moving world of personal computers and the like (although my pocket does take an enormous hit at times). My point is this: in the short time I've been a member of Windows Seven Forums I've been astounded by the sheer wealth of...
Chillout Room
hi people, need a little help
i tried to update bios off hp site but for some reason it woulnt work,i ask what i could do but they just gave me a run around, so i took the bios update extracted it which is 360BF52.fd , and i did the hp format tool thing with boot file and ubs,i put it in the ubs along with flashit and all i get...
General Discussion
Big thank you to the following people
I would like to say a big thank you to the following people who have supplied me with advice, ideas and help. I had 3 computer infected with a bad virus. I know have 3 clean computers and couldn't have achieved it without the assistance of the following people ( As the virus doesn't scan by...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:14.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App