Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Adobe Flash

19 Dec 2009   #11
Qdos

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Adobe don't get any revenue from a 64 bit version when the 32 bit browser still runs (and still runs their flash player) on your 64 bit platform - so it's easy to see why it's hardly a priority to them and their shareholders...
This is the second time i've heard this argument and it still makes no sense! Where is it that they'll lose money by providing a 64-bit version of Flash...
I never said they'd lose money, but you show me where they'd make money...

Flash is frequently used for adverts, and displays in virtually all browsers and on all platforms in common use, because they make a free plugin for end users. However if they're to exploit 64bit architecture then there would have to be a pressing reason for them to sell on the benefits to end users of their flash authoring software before they would have any benefits to offer those just wishing to browse the web and see any flash animations or adverts... it's really very simple to grasp...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
one way to solve this is to tell everyone to stop making apps from flash and use silverlight instead ;D!
Which doesn't run in just how many browsers exactly?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Dec 2009   #12
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
one way to solve this is to tell everyone to stop making apps from flash and use silverlight instead ;D!
Silverlight loads on 64-bit Browsers? I just tried and IE8 64-bit failed to load silverlight (which I have).

My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #13
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
I never said they'd lose money, but you show me where they'd make money...
That was my question to you when you said...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Adobe don't get any revenue from a 64 bit version when the 32 bit browser still runs (and still runs their flash player) on your 64 bit platform - so it's easy to see why it's hardly a priority to them and their shareholders...
Did you forget what you wrote?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Dec 2009   #14
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
one way to solve this is to tell everyone to stop making apps from flash and use silverlight instead ;D!
Silverlight loads on 64-bit Browsers? I just tried and IE8 64-bit failed to load silverlight (which I have).

Yeah I just opened IE8 64-bit and loaded a Silverlight website only to get this message...

Quote:
Microsoft Silverlight cannot be used in browsers running in 64 bit mode.
Wow, not even Microsoft can't crack this baby yet
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #15
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
one way to solve this is to tell everyone to stop making apps from flash and use silverlight instead ;D!
Silverlight loads on 64-bit Browsers? I just tried and IE8 64-bit failed to load silverlight (which I have).

Yeah I just opened IE8 64-bit and loaded a Silverlight website only to get this message...

Quote:
Microsoft Silverlight cannot be used in browsers running in 64 bit mode.
Wow, not even Microsoft can't crack this baby yet
Then can, they just don't want to. No competition, but you'd think they'd want to be the first in this area to support 64-bit for Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #16
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Silly me. I was under the impression that Silverlight would work under a 64-bit browser

You know, show it off a bit. Hmmm....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #17
Mercurial

Windows 7 32bit RTM
 
 

LOl doh!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #18
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
Flash is frequently used for adverts, and displays in virtually all browsers and on all platforms in common use, because they make a free plugin for end users. However if they're to exploit 64bit architecture then there would have to be a pressing reason for them to sell on the benefits to end users of their flash authoring software before they would have any benefits to offer those just wishing to browse the web and see any flash animations or adverts... it's really very simple to grasp...
Uh? The ones losing out are the sites using Flash, not Adobe. It makes zero difference from the server side whether the client is 32 bit or 64 bit, but if the client is 64 bit then they aren't seeing the ads/etc.

The one's that need to be pushing for the 64 bit plugin are the sites using Flash more than use the end user.

BTW 64 bit Java works just fine. Easy to test; install the x64 version,

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...-CDS_Developer

Then open 64 bit IE (or Firefox if you have it) and go to a site like pogo.com and try playing the games (ignore the one or two prompts to install Flash). Guess what, they work.

The biggest reason to me that there isn't a 64 bit version of Flash yet is that Google/Youtube haven't been pushing for it, as the stats will show that the majority of browsers are 32 bit.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Silly me. I was under the impression that Silverlight would work under a 64-bit browser

You know, show it off a bit. Hmmm....
No kidding. Don't know if things have changed much in the last few months since this was posted,

Scott Guthrie: currently no plans for a 64-bit Silverlight

Quote:
That's what Guthrie has been saying for the last few months, but one thing he wasn't talking about was 64-bit support. When I asked him if there would be a 64-bit Silverlight 3 version, he gave me the following response via e-mail:
Right now our plan is to run SL in 32-bit mode (and not have a 64-bit native version). This is mostly because other browser plug-ins (and most browsers) don't support 64-bit yet. We are looking at adding native 64-bit support in the future though.
Which is a crock as Microsoft if anyone should be leading the push to 64 bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Adobe Flash




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Adobe Flash Player dla IE
Hi, in IE I can not watch movies all the time I have a message to download the updates, it is the icon with Adobe Flash Player which I click, downloading the program and all the time is the same. Not long ago I cleaned CCleaner and Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and AdwCleaner because I had an...
Browsers & Mail
IE9 vs. Adobe Flash Player 11
For years, I have use Firefox as my default browser but with all the good things I read about IE9 I decided to give it a try. Almost immediately a problem arose. When I visited ABCnews and choose to look at this video (Betty White Wanted at the Democratic National Convention | Video - ABC News)...
Browsers & Mail
Adobe Flash
PSI just complained that my Flash wasn't secure, but the version that it detects is the one previous to the one installed, according to Program And Features. The one shown installed is the current one. I had this problem when I first installed PSI, but found that when I installed Flash in a...
Software
Adobe Flash
I have Windows 7 64 bit and I am having trouble installing Adobe Flash. I looked on the Adobe site and it tells me to go to Start and select IE 32 bit. I have two programs of IE. One is clealy marked 64 bit and the other should be 32 bit. However no matter which version I select the 'About' states...
Browsers & Mail
IE9 & Adobe Flash
Hello all - another gripe I'm afraid. Am trying IE9 and yes that damn Flash Player doesn't work with IE9 unless I download a version that allows it. Now I have just about had it with Flash and the persistent and monotonous times this is happening, plus the damn havoc it has caused me in the...
Browsers & Mail
Adobe flash
I have asked before about Adobe flash for windows 7, 64bit. Its been a while and was just wondering if anyone knew if they (Adobe) have made any progress in making it for the 64 bit version. Thanks all
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:46.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App