Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows XP No IE9 For You!!!!

View Poll Results: Would you trust the OP to fix your PC?
Yes 1 0.15%
No 4 0.59%
Absolutely not, I wouldn't even let him near my toaster. 669 99.26%
Voters: 674. You may not vote on this poll

26 Mar 2010   #101
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MadMaxData View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Riho View Post
I'm confused. Why would anyone actually be gleeful that IE9 won't run on XP?
Maybe the answer to that lies in Barman's excellent post.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Mar 2010   #102
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
Maybe the answer to that lies in Barman's excellent post.
Sorry, I still don't get it. I must be having a "dense" day...LOL
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2010   #103
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Look at it this way, IE9 will be written to take advantage of the new security features that are present in Vista and Windows 7. Doesn't make any sense to have to write it twice so they can remove said security features that aren't present in XP.

As far as XP still receiving support, no one has mentioned (and those that cling to XP either forget or ignore; doesn't apply to the corporate world) it but the only support XP will still receive is the odd security update. There will be no more features or anything else for it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Mar 2010   #104
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Don't get my wrong, I'm not celebrating that it will not run on XP, I just understand why MS decided not to build it to run on XP. I think that will make IE9 far better for Vista and Seven users.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2010   #105
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

I understand what you guys are saying, and I agree to a point. However, I think they should provide a patch for XP users to run IE9. Surely, the security features are not the ONLY changes. I'm just thinking about the "little guy" businesses that simply cannot afford to upgrade their OS. And the home user who is on a tight budget in these trying times. If we were talking about WMP, then I would agree whole heartedly, but IE is different I think. Can you guys not see it from my point of view at all?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2010   #106
Riho

Windows 7 Pro 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MadMaxData View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Riho View Post
I'm confused. Why would anyone actually be gleeful that IE9 won't run on XP?
Because XP is dam old right now, almost 10 years. Its basicly like if you are Web manager/programmer and you have build up a web portal and you have 300-500 visits per day and you have follow the latest web standard whats out there. And lets say one dumbass will send you an email and tell's you that "Your web site isnt opening for me" and then you ask "What web browser do you use" and then he tells IE6(for example). Now tell me why in the world you have to make sure your own web will run also with IE6? Basicly you say to customer/visitor "Screw you, upgrade your web browser". In system programmers view why do you need to make extra job for someone who is using 10 year old OS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2010   #107
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Riho View Post
Because XP is dam old right now, almost 10 years. Its basicly like if you are Web manager/programmer and you have build up a web portal and you have 300-500 visits per day and you have follow the latest web standard whats out there. And lets say one dumbass will send you an email and tell's you that "Your web site isnt opening for me" and then you ask "What web browser do you use" and then he tells IE6(for example). Now tell me why in the world you have to make sure your own web will run also with IE6? Basicly you say to customer/visitor "Screw you, upgrade your web browser". In system programmers view why do you need to make extra job for someone who is using 10 year old OS?
As a web developer, I can relate. I know all too well about having to script for older browsers. However, I still think a patch should be available for XP users to run IE9, for the reasons I've already stated above [post#105].

Also, there's a difference between simply choosing not to update your browser, and not being able to because your OS doesn't support it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2010   #108
pezzonovante

Windows 7 RTM x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MadMaxData View Post
As a web developer, I can relate. I know all too well about having to script for older browsers. However, I still think a patch should be available for XP users to run IE9, for the reasons I've already stated above [post#105].
IE9 will NOT support XP. EVER. Get over it. The Luddites who are still using XP can use IE8/Firefox/Chrome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2010   #109
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Any patch to fully allow an XP system to utilize all the new features of win7 would likely be many times larger and more difficult to code than IE9 itself, things have changed that much.

also running through the patch will negate any potential advantage in terms of speed and useability that IE9 brings.

there always comes a time when even Microsoft, the best backwards compatibility developer out there, has to call time on old technology and ideas.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2010   #110
MadMaxData

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Okay, I give up. The small businesses who are barely surviving now should just go belly up, and put all their employees on the ever increasing unemployment line. Just because they simply couldn't afford to upgrade their OS, or impliment a decent security solution to a browser that Microsoft no longer supports. Great idea.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows XP No IE9 For You!!!!




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App