Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Low Virtual Memory Errors

11 Aug 2010   #21
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AtomicVette View Post

I need your domain specs:
Domain Server Version (i.e. 2003, 2003 R2, 2008, or 2008 R2)
Domain Mode (Native or Mixed) 2008 Native
Are all the Domain Controllers the same? (All 2008 R2 or are there some remote DC's 2003 R2 but the home DC's are 2008 R2 etc.) All Server 2008
Workstations: Are all workstations Windows XP or newer? (If you have Windows 2000 or Windows NT I need to know). (60% Win7) (35% Vista) (5% XP)
What version of Exchange (Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010)? Are all the Exchange Servers the same version? Or do you have mixed Exchange (i.e. some 2007 and some 2010). Exchange 2007 Only

How is the network setup?:
What is the LAN Speed? (90% 1GB) (10% 10/100)
What is the WAN Speed? 5mb/Sync Fiber
All TCP/IP or are there other protocols (i.e. IPX or Mac)? TCP/IP
IPv6 running on the network? No
I am not saying for sure this is your problem but we had many issues with our DCs as 2008 machines while having our domain with a lot of Windows 7 machines. Looks like you have a good Windows 7 base. Once we upgraded the DC's to 2008 R2 many of our very strange problems went away. I remember seeing some Outlook problems and I seem to recall something like this memory issue but I do not remember if the DC upgrade fixed it or not, because we were having other issues that were more pressing like document re-direction not working correctly.

You might try upgrading the DC's and see if your Outlook issues go away.

I will think about this more and look in my database of issues and see if something pops up. -WS


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Aug 2010   #22
RedRocket204

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Well, wanted to give a slight update. Been busy this week with an emergency work trip coast to coast <sigh>


Attempted removing the domain off my user and somehow the user account became removed. I was under the assumption that would not have happened...oh well. Had to request the admin password from our IT dept and they were not happy with me. That's OK though as my manager knew what I was doing and fully supported me.

Since my original user was locked on this laptop, I had to add another but I added it with only a WORKGROUP. I have not had a problem since.

I have not requested the network and version information from our IT since they weren't happy with what I did. During my communication with IT, they let me know that before the laptop was shipped off to me, they installed a background process that periodically syncs my data with a network drive on the domain's intranet. This is standard for all users but IMO, not well thought out for those not connected full time to their intranet. I rarely ever even launch my VPN. There is speculation the sync script may have been causing my M4500 memory issue since it would be unable to contact the network backup drive.

I am currently reluctant to let them do any troubleshooting on it since the laptop is not having the issue any longer. That and I would need to schedule a trip there instead of sending in the laptop. I know this does not help much, just thought I would share what has happened.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2010   #23
AtomicVette

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RedRocket204 View Post
Well, wanted to give a slight update. Been busy this week with an emergency work trip coast to coast <sigh>


Attempted removing the domain off my user and somehow the user account became removed. I was under the assumption that would not have happened...oh well. Had to request the admin password from our IT dept and they were not happy with me. That's OK though as my manager knew what I was doing and fully supported me.

Since my original user was locked on this laptop, I had to add another but I added it with only a WORKGROUP. I have not had a problem since.

I have not requested the network and version information from our IT since they weren't happy with what I did. During my communication with IT, they let me know that before the laptop was shipped off to me, they installed a background process that periodically syncs my data with a network drive on the domain's intranet. This is standard for all users but IMO, not well thought out for those not connected full time to their intranet. I rarely ever even launch my VPN. There is speculation the sync script may have been causing my M4500 memory issue since it would be unable to contact the network backup drive.

I am currently reluctant to let them do any troubleshooting on it since the laptop is not having the issue any longer. That and I would need to schedule a trip there instead of sending in the laptop. I know this does not help much, just thought I would share what has happened.
your domain user info is still there in the "users" folder, but since you removed it from the domain it won't let you login using that account. Once it's put back on the domain your user info will come back like nothing ever happend. unfortunately so will your low virtual memory errors. haha.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Aug 2010   #24
RedRocket204

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AtomicVette View Post
your domain user info is still there in the "users" folder, but since you removed it from the domain it won't let you login using that account. Once it's put back on the domain your user info will come back like nothing ever happend. unfortunately so will your low virtual memory errors. haha.
yeah, saw it on there when I logged in as admin. So, instead of recovering my documents from my external drive, I just created my new user, moved all my important work stuff to the Public folder and then went about my day rebuilding on my new user. I had to do it quickly because of the emergency work trip.

Oh well, good thing is I have not had the same issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2010   #25
Thorsen

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

Well good for you RedRocket. AtomicVette, since Red's issue <edit> might have been with a background software, maybe you can troubleshoot this though MSconfig: disable all items in the msconfig and then re-start. Re-enable each service one by one restarting after each one till you see the error. (Give time between each re-enabling to see if the issue occurs) This could tell you if a particular service that is running is causing this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2010   #26
AtomicVette

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
Well good for you RedRocket. AtomicVette, since Red's issue <edit> might have been with a background software, maybe you can troubleshoot this though MSconfig: disable all items in the msconfig and then re-start. Re-enable each service one by one restarting after each one till you see the error. (Give time between each re-enabling to see if the issue occurs) This could tell you if a particular service that is running is causing this.

It's something with our domain, that's the only thing that's changed on both of my affected machines. All the software and services are the same. Put them on the domain they get virtual memory errors, take them off they're fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2010   #27
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RedRocket204 View Post
Well, wanted to give a slight update. Been busy this week with an emergency work trip coast to coast <sigh>


Attempted removing the domain off my user and somehow the user account became removed. I was under the assumption that would not have happened...oh well. Had to request the admin password from our IT dept and they were not happy with me. That's OK though as my manager knew what I was doing and fully supported me.

Since my original user was locked on this laptop, I had to add another but I added it with only a WORKGROUP. I have not had a problem since.

I have not requested the network and version information from our IT since they weren't happy with what I did. During my communication with IT, they let me know that before the laptop was shipped off to me, they installed a background process that periodically syncs my data with a network drive on the domain's intranet. This is standard for all users but IMO, not well thought out for those not connected full time to their intranet. I rarely ever even launch my VPN. There is speculation the sync script may have been causing my M4500 memory issue since it would be unable to contact the network backup drive.

I am currently reluctant to let them do any troubleshooting on it since the laptop is not having the issue any longer. That and I would need to schedule a trip there instead of sending in the laptop. I know this does not help much, just thought I would share what has happened.
Thank you for the update. All information is helpful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2010   #28
Thorsen

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AtomicVette View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
Well good for you RedRocket. AtomicVette, since Red's issue <edit> might have been with a background software, maybe you can troubleshoot this though MSconfig: disable all items in the msconfig and then re-start. Re-enable each service one by one restarting after each one till you see the error. (Give time between each re-enabling to see if the issue occurs) This could tell you if a particular service that is running is causing this.

It's something with our domain, that's the only thing that's changed on both of my affected machines. All the software and services are the same. Put them on the domain they get virtual memory errors, take them off they're fine.
Sorry for delay I have been busy.

Although this is only happening when you are logged on to a domain, this is most likely a specific service when running on the domain that is giving you the errors. Doing that troubleshooting process through MSConfig, may find your culprit. It may not as well, but I still feel it is worth testing. Its up to you.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #29
mischaw

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

We're having the same issue. New Latitude E6410 and E5410 laptops with 4GB ram and Windows 7 Pro 64bit. They are joined to our Server 2008 R2 domain. Users are running Office 2010 apps and IE. I've tried changing the min and max virtual memory settings to 6GB and 12GB, but that hasn't helped. Strangely, our Vostro and HP users are not experiencing this issue, also with 4gb ram and win7 pro 64.

AtomicVette, have you had any more time to diagnose this issue? Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #30
AtomicVette

Windows 7
 
 

I upgraded our domain controllers to Server 2008R2 on Sunday. I then added my machine back to the domain and have not yet had any memory problems. It's been 4 days. I used to get memory problems within 12 ours of turning my machiene on. I hope that the domain controller upgrade has solved this in our case.

Mischaw, did you upgrade your domain controllers before or after the win7 machines were on the domain? If the win7 machines existed before the 2008r2 servers, Perhaps a removal from the domain, then rejoin may help?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Low Virtual Memory Errors




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Virtual Memory?
Hi, System has 2 GB of Physical Memory, is the setting for Virtual Memory 3057 MB min and max fine? Does deleting/no page file, and than restoring do any good? Thanks.
Performance & Maintenance
programs won't use all of my memory before 'out of memory' errors
my laptop has 4GB of memory but none of my programs will ever use it all for some reason! all programs will only use up to 2GB until it gives me the program's error message that it is out of memory! Ableton for example. how do I fix?
Performance & Maintenance
Virtual Memory
solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved
Performance & Maintenance
virtual memory
My windows 7 machine has 16 Gb of RAM memory, an SSD (vertex 111Gb) disk and 2 WD (1Tb) harddisks. To save space on my SSD, I was advised to remove my virtual memory, which I did several months ago. Everything worked fine after that, even Photoshop. This week I started working with MAGIX which...
Performance & Maintenance
virtual xp restarts with errors
I have been running XP mode in a virtual window for several months. The VPC I am using is what I got from Microsoft, and so is the XP. I have some persistent, but intermittent problems and could use some help making it run more smoothly. 1, I have created another user with admin privileges in...
Virtualization
bluescreens/stack dumps/memory errors/bad image errors
Hello, I've had nothing but great luck with Windows 7 and my current computer for almost a year. A couple weeks ago, however, I started getting intermittent, and seemingly random stop screens. There seems to be no pattern to the blue screens; sometimes I'll be gaming or sometimes the...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App