Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD: Win7(32) IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (ntoskrnl.exe)

17 Aug 2010   #1
df2nw

win 7
 
 
BSOD: Win7(32) IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (ntoskrnl.exe)

Hello.

I'm really struggling with a laptop that I acquired less than a week ago.As the laptop was run for the first time it automatically installed Win7 32 bit Home premium. Nearly straight away the problems started ( if im not mistaken 1-2 days layer ) with prominent BSOD of IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL linking to ntoskrnl.exe. The event viewer showed that before each BSOD there were critical problems with PowerBiosServer which is a component of Hotkey(.exe) application that installed automatically for laptop hotkey control. I uninstalled it and the problem changed from IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL to MEMORY_MANAGEMENT however still linking to ntoskrnl.exe and now hal.dll

Please help me!


Following has been done:

- memtest 3.4* and 4.01 (memtest86+ latest ) both over 10 passes without errors.
- windows memory test - no errors
- updated several drivers (including 3x GPU and tried uninstall all drivers for it all together ) - no result still BSOD. Worth mentioning updated and fixed Motorola sm56 that caused BSOD of another kind.
- disabled multiple drivers ( Motorola sm56 fax, Jmicron Flash SD card (3 of them), webcam)
- uninstalled all Antivirus softwares ( had Bitdefender originally with Windows replaced it with Avira Antivir(never had problems with it - uninstalled both). It had no effect and I reinstalled it to possibly try use it to try stress PC bring out the BSOD.
- scf /scannow - 100% verified no problems
- verifier.exe - caused motorola sm56 BSOD but after driver update solved particular one. It is most likely still enabled!
- Windows Upgrade advisor - ok
- EasyDriver - all drivers updated
- chkdsk /r - returns good
- all windows 7 updates are installed ( it appears )

Additionally:
- various stress tests for CPU and GPU - Games wont crash it nor does Rendering (both using GPGPU and CPU).
- CPU temp is <80 celcius, GPU <60 when it happens ( well in range of OK ).
- Also worth noting EventViewer looks pretty Chaotic
- ntoskrnl.exe precisely matches in size to file I have in other PC ( not corrupt, no malware)
- Event Viewer is riddled with a lot of errors,warnings and critical events
- Slightly suspicious of Intel Chipset
- Behaves very similar to this:
Stop error message in Windows XP with Service Pack 2: "STOP 0x0000001a: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" or "STOP 0x0000000a: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"


PS. Please also note that I cannot void the warranty (no screwdrivers).


I have attached DxDiag for PC info, EventViewer logs as txt and xml (both are identical exports), BlueScreenView report as well as MiniDumps.

I am very grateful for any help!


Thank you!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Aug 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by df2nw View Post
Hello.

I'm really struggling with a laptop that I acquired less than a week ago.As the laptop was run for the first time it automatically installed Win7 32 bit Home premium. Nearly straight away the problems started ( if im not mistaken 1-2 days layer ) with prominent BSOD of IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL linking to ntoskrnl.exe. The event viewer showed that before each BSOD there were critical problems with PowerBiosServer which is a component of Hotkey(.exe) application that installed automatically for laptop hotkey control. I uninstalled it and the problem changed from IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL to MEMORY_MANAGEMENT however still linking to ntoskrnl.exe and now hal.dll

Please help me!


Following has been done:

- memtest 3.4* and 4.01 (memtest86+ latest ) both over 10 passes without errors.
- windows memory test - no errors
- updated several drivers (including 3x GPU and tried uninstall all drivers for it all together ) - no result still BSOD. Worth mentioning updated and fixed Motorola sm56 that caused BSOD of another kind.
- disabled multiple drivers ( Motorola sm56 fax, Jmicron Flash SD card (3 of them), webcam)
- uninstalled all Antivirus softwares ( had Bitdefender originally with Windows replaced it with Avira Antivir(never had problems with it - uninstalled both). It had no effect and I reinstalled it to possibly try use it to try stress PC bring out the BSOD.
- scf /scannow - 100% verified no problems
- verifier.exe - caused motorola sm56 BSOD but after driver update solved particular one. It is most likely still enabled!
- Windows Upgrade advisor - ok
- EasyDriver - all drivers updated
- chkdsk /r - returns good
- all windows 7 updates are installed ( it appears )

Additionally:
- various stress tests for CPU and GPU - Games wont crash it nor does Rendering (both using GPGPU and CPU).
- CPU temp is <80 celcius, GPU <60 when it happens ( well in range of OK ).
- Also worth noting EventViewer looks pretty Chaotic
- ntoskrnl.exe precisely matches in size to file I have in other PC ( not corrupt, no malware)
- Event Viewer is riddled with a lot of errors,warnings and critical events
- Slightly suspicious of Intel Chipset
- Behaves very similar to this:
Stop error message in Windows XP with Service Pack 2: "STOP 0x0000001a: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" or "STOP 0x0000000a: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"


PS. Please also note that I cannot void the warranty (no screwdrivers).


I have attached DxDiag for PC info, EventViewer logs as txt and xml (both are identical exports), BlueScreenView report as well as MiniDumps.

I am very grateful for any help!


Thank you!

Well since driver verifier helps decide which driver and hence device is casing the grief and since your smserial.sys is mentioned in almost all of them. I would check the Motorla driver. It is old (needs updating) and probably corrupted.


Let us know ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #3
df2nw

win 7
 
 

Hello.

Thank you! I have tried to disable the device but it has no effect and BSOD still pops up(it shouldnt cause errors if its disabled?).

Also I tried to use memtest86 win and within first 20 minutes over 30 errors. Worth noting however that it was unable to allocate 1629MB of RAM to once instance of it so it asked me to run 2 of them and allocate 814 MB to each. Perhaps interestingly only 1 of them threw these errors, however I did not run it for too long as problem was obvious.
Even more interestingly just as I quit these MEMtests I get another BSOD and this time windows DOES NOT BOOT UP (standard start way) but shows the windows Logo forever and does nothing. System restore came up with the following:

"Unknown Bugcheck: BugCheck 1a. Parameters = 0x403, 0xc0216fb0, 0x60c6f867, 0xc0616fb0" ... And after I log into windows I see a new dump of the same error - MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

In conclusion I am puzzled with memtest86 in DOS that ran for 14+ hours failed to find anything while Windows memtest started finding errors straight away. These results contradict one another as I need definite proof. It would be devastating to waste indefinite ime with warranty without knowing the cause for 100%.
Said that can you please advise how can I get a Definite answer if my Memory is faulty or not. Leaving it on memtest86+ for 24hours is not the best option.
- Perhaps there are some other leading memory tests that I could try
- Maybe in Memtest86+(or any other) I could specify the memory addresses where these problems were found in Windows?


Thank you kindly!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Aug 2010   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by df2nw View Post
Hello.

Thank you! I have tried to disable the device but it has no effect and BSOD still pops up(it shouldnt cause errors if its disabled?).

Also I tried to use memtest86 win and within first 20 minutes over 30 errors. Worth noting however that it was unable to allocate 1629MB of RAM to once instance of it so it asked me to run 2 of them and allocate 814 MB to each. Perhaps interestingly only 1 of them threw these errors, however I did not run it for too long as problem was obvious.
Even more interestingly just as I quit these MEMtests I get another BSOD and this time windows DOES NOT BOOT UP (standard start way) but shows the windows Logo forever and does nothing. System restore came up with the following:

"Unknown Bugcheck: BugCheck 1a. Parameters = 0x403, 0xc0216fb0, 0x60c6f867, 0xc0616fb0" ... And after I log into windows I see a new dump of the same error - MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

In conclusion I am puzzled with memtest86 in DOS that ran for 14+ hours failed to find anything while Windows memtest started finding errors straight away. These results contradict one another as I need definite proof. It would be devastating to waste indefinite ime with warranty without knowing the cause for 100%.
Said that can you please advise how can I get a Definite answer if my Memory is faulty or not. Leaving it on memtest86+ for 24hours is not the best option.
- Perhaps there are some other leading memory tests that I could try
- Maybe in Memtest86+(or any other) I could specify the memory addresses where these problems were found in Windows?


Thank you kindly!
Memtestx86 cant (or shouldnt) be run from within windows. What you want to do in terms of addressing the memory isnt worth the time and effort.

What you should be doing to narrow the focus is to run memtest with one stick of memory at a time.

Hopefully the same ram will fail in the same place.

You should then take a known good stick and test each mobo slots one at a time

It could even be a heat, or power issue.

Good luck

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #5
df2nw

win 7
 
 

Tnx. Just to specify i used this to find the problems(MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows ). Also removing the sticks would most likely void the warranty.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by df2nw View Post
Tnx. Just to specify i used this to find the problems(MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows ). Also removing the sticks would most likely void the warranty.
I doubt it but your choices are to live with it this way, fix it, or return it (if it is still under warranty)


Memtest 4.0 should work




Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #7
df2nw

win 7
 
 

Than you Ken. I have further tested in every way possible and Memory tests returns quite a lot of problems.

I was confident it was not memory related after 14+ hours of memtest86+, I was proven wrong with above mentioned windows based test. Perhaps because I was dealing with 4GB? Either way if someone stumbles on this topic, my advise - check your RAM again.

I have sent it to warranty, fingers crossed. If indeed RAM was/is only the problem for above mentioned BSODs, I will most likely not update this thread as my problem would be solved. I hope it helps anyone with similar symptoms.

Thank you kindly Ken!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD: Win7(32) IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (ntoskrnl.exe)




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD MEMORY_MANAGEMENT ntoskrnl.exe
OK, first post and my apologies for being all over the place. I have done as much as I know how and want to make sure I am not chasing my tail, so to speak. New install in November, 29 crashes since (screenshot of BSV with all crashes) I currently have the 2 sticks of RAM that I have...
BSOD Help and Support
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD point to ntoskrnl.exe
Hi, I've been having frequent BSODs lately, they have all said MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and the dump files say ntoskrnl.exe is causing the problems, i attached the SF diagnostic tool's zip file to the thread, so maybe you guys can see what's wrong with everything here. I've already tried reinstalling as...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD, ntoskrnl.exe, memory_management seemingly at random.
Hi there, Sooo after more than a month without my desktop (truly a nightmarish experience) I finally got all of the parts I needed (or thought I needed, then actually needed) to fix it. So happy was I when it loaded up and I could start updating and reinstalling my old stuff... and then the...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD random, memory_management, ntoskrnl.exe fltmgr.sys
I am receiving random BSOD with two different bug check strings. MEMORY_MANAGEMENT PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA I have updated all of my drivers. I have checked the memory with memcheck both by running it with both sticks installed and one stick installed (both sticks singly). I have checked...
BSOD Help and Support
ntoskrnl.exe/DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT Bsod
I have been having many memory BSOD and also crashes while computer is asleep. I have Run Memory test and the memory is good. I have narrowed my problems down to a driver using whocrashed. I just dont know which one. If someone could help debug my mini dumb. If you could explain to me what is going...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD MEMORY_MANAGEMENT ntoskrnl.exe 0x0000001a
This is unbearable. Win7-64b Had constant mem management bsods when putting together a new system, ran verifier and mem test for going on 13hrs and both came up fine. Replaced the motherboard and still had the same errors, thought it might be a corrupt install so clean installed win7...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:27.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App