Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help with BSOD-Freezes and Memtest86 results

02 Dec 2010   #1
mjaymay

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM Build 7600
 
 
Help with BSOD-Freezes and Memtest86 results

Hello and thank you in advance. I've been scanning this forum for the last month trying to track down the problems with my comp. It is a new, self-built machine. My first time. So I'm not familiar with what needs to be done with a new build. But I wanted the experience. Boy am I getting some.

Right away I got a memory error. But the Windows memtest came out clean. I had a couple BSODs, but the big problem was freezing at the Window Welcome screen. The little spinning circle would stop and it would just sit. I could boot into safe mode, which I did. From reading this forum I figured I had driver problems since it was a brand new build.

So I used Driver Max to update all of the out of date drivers. (I don't know if it recommended to use a program like that. I don't feel like I totally trust it) The freezing at the welcome screen stopped. I was able to use the comp normally for a couple weeks, for the most part. It still would freeze while in use. The mouse becomes unresponsive. And there doesn't seem to be any way to get into a Task Manager like in XP. Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing.

Then yesterday morning it stopped working again. Checked the drivers again and there were a couple out of date already. I got BlueScreenView to read the Crash Dumps and saw jraid.sys as the main culprit. I undated it last week after a crash. Then again yesterday after that crash.

Also, when I restart it it POSTs and then the screen goes black before the Windows screen. I just restart it again and usually it loads, but a couple times it stays blank. The last time I just went into Safe Mode and have stayed there since.

I then got Memtest86 and started checking my memory. Within 9 seconds it had an error. So I stopped it and removed 3 of the sticks, leaving one in the first slot (#1). It would not even POST. Then I switched it to the matched slot (#3). No POST. Tried the other channel (#2). This one started as it should. Error withing seconds. OK, I think that stick has a problem.

Next I tried the matching stick in the same slot that worked (#2). Error after a few minutes. Tried stick 1 of the other matched pair. That one went 6 passes with no errors. Stick 2 of that pair went 3 passes with no error. I haven't had time to continue with the other slots as recommended, but I plan to.

I guess I will leave it at that and let you guys guide me with your questions. I tried to be thorough. Forgive me if I left something out. Attached is the minidump files. I couldn't get the perfmon/report to work. Maybe someone can help with that too. Thanks.
(Specs are down below)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Dec 2010   #2
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux
 
 

Dump blames nvlddmkm.sys, part of the Nvidia drivers

Some possible causes: bad RAM/GPU, overheating, corrupt drivers

I suggest replacing the RAM as memtest reported some errors
Code:
BugCheck 117, {fffffa8006d6c010, fffff8800494ee64, 0, 0}

Unable to load image nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+12ee64 )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2010   #3
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjaymay View Post
Hello and thank you in advance. I've been scanning this forum for the last month trying to track down the problems with my comp. It is a new, self-built machine. My first time. So I'm not familiar with what needs to be done with a new build. But I wanted the experience. Boy am I getting some.

Right away I got a memory error. But the Windows memtest came out clean. I had a couple BSODs, but the big problem was freezing at the Window Welcome screen. The little spinning circle would stop and it would just sit. I could boot into safe mode, which I did. From reading this forum I figured I had driver problems since it was a brand new build.

So I used Driver Max to update all of the out of date drivers. (I don't know if it recommended to use a program like that. I don't feel like I totally trust it) The freezing at the welcome screen stopped. I was able to use the comp normally for a couple weeks, for the most part. It still would freeze while in use. The mouse becomes unresponsive. And there doesn't seem to be any way to get into a Task Manager like in XP. Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing.

Then yesterday morning it stopped working again. Checked the drivers again and there were a couple out of date already. I got BlueScreenView to read the Crash Dumps and saw jraid.sys as the main culprit. I undated it last week after a crash. Then again yesterday after that crash.

Also, when I restart it it POSTs and then the screen goes black before the Windows screen. I just restart it again and usually it loads, but a couple times it stays blank. The last time I just went into Safe Mode and have stayed there since.

I then got Memtest86 and started checking my memory. Within 9 seconds it had an error. So I stopped it and removed 3 of the sticks, leaving one in the first slot (#1). It would not even POST. Then I switched it to the matched slot (#3). No POST. Tried the other channel (#2). This one started as it should. Error withing seconds. OK, I think that stick has a problem.

Next I tried the matching stick in the same slot that worked (#2). Error after a few minutes. Tried stick 1 of the other matched pair. That one went 6 passes with no errors. Stick 2 of that pair went 3 passes with no error. I haven't had time to continue with the other slots as recommended, but I plan to.

I guess I will leave it at that and let you guys guide me with your questions. I tried to be thorough. Forgive me if I left something out. Attached is the minidump files. I couldn't get the perfmon/report to work. Maybe someone can help with that too. Thanks.
(Specs are down below)
These three were caused by your video driver

When upgrading your graphic driver you MUST remove all traces of the current driver. In order to do that we recommend using Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

When it is removed then download and install the fresh copy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Dec 2010   #4
mjaymay

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM Build 7600
 
 

OK, so I used Driver Sweeper and deleted everything that it found. But when I try to install the nvidia driver (260.99) it fails. So I don't know about that.

One of the crashes was due to the jraid.sys. I'm having trouble updating that also.

And finally any advice about the memory test. Why does the comp not even POST when the stick is in either the A2 or B2 DIMM slots? It only will POST in the A1 or B1 slots. Does that mean the MoBo is bad?

Thanks for the help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2010   #5
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjaymay View Post
OK, so I used Driver Sweeper and deleted everything that it found. But when I try to install the nvidia driver (260.99) it fails. So I don't know about that.

One of the crashes was due to the jraid.sys. I'm having trouble updating that also.

And finally any advice about the memory test. Why does the comp not even POST when the stick is in either the A2 or B2 DIMM slots? It only will POST in the A1 or B1 slots. Does that mean the MoBo is bad?

Thanks for the help!
Seems the memory slot on the mobo is faulty
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2010   #6
mjaymay

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjaymay View Post
OK, so I used Driver Sweeper and deleted everything that it found. But when I try to install the nvidia driver (260.99) it fails. So I don't know about that.

One of the crashes was due to the jraid.sys. I'm having trouble updating that also.

And finally any advice about the memory test. Why does the comp not even POST when the stick is in either the A2 or B2 DIMM slots? It only will POST in the A1 or B1 slots. Does that mean the MoBo is bad?

Thanks for the help!
Seems the memory slot on the mobo is faulty
Thanks for the answer, but what does this mean? Do I need to replace it, can I only run two sticks in the good slots? What?

I finally was able to do a clean install of the nvidia driver. But the system still won't boot without freezing. It either freezes at the blank (black) screen before windows or freezes on the windows welcome screen with the spinning circle. It just stops spinning. It has been doing this off and on since I first built it. Now it has even froze in Safe Mode twice, which it has not done before.

It has been a frustrating month.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help with BSOD-Freezes and Memtest86 results




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD-memtest86 errors but fixed at low frequency
I was having many BSOD's with various error codes. These included directx (dxgmm1.sys) with error codes such as 0x0000007e and many more. It happened more frequently when playing games (it could not play far cry 3 for over 30 mins without crashing) however it also happened at random times...
BSOD Help and Support
Memtest86 Results Interpretation
I recently ran Memtest86 because I was trying to diagnose some freeze ups which had started randomly and with increasing frequency. I'm assuming this indicates the ram should be replaced, but I'd like another opinion. http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/trgraney/MemTest_zpsd668d2fa.jpg
Hardware & Devices
Different BSOD randomly, w/ and w/o overclocking, Memtest86+ passes
There seems to be no pattern as to when I get a BSOD. I ran Memtest86+ for about 18 hours (8 full cycles) and there were no errors. I've noticed also that anytime I run Prime95 with high FFT lengths, all 4 cores fail almost immediately ("Rounding was 0.5, expected 0.4" is a common one). I have...
BSOD Help and Support
Memory problems -- memtest86 gives anomalous results
hi SF gurus, i have a homebuilt computer, ASUS P6T6 mobo with 6x2 GB of RAM, Intel Core i7 CPU. i ran memtest86+ 4.20 and observed the following: although all 6 2 GB memory sticks are seen and listed on the memtest screen, it says i only have 8 GB of total memory. yet, when the tests were run,...
Hardware & Devices
My Memtest86 (v4.20) results
Hey guys! I'm new here, great forum! I wont confuse you too much, let me try to explain it cool. ___ First of all, I reinstalled Windows 7 32-bit successfully with a DVD. Windows was running smooth and nice, stuff like that. Windows Updated wanted to install some secure updates (w/e they...
General Discussion
memtest86 results
Hi, After having the BSOD numerous times I was told to run memtest86. After running it for 5 passes it came up with 37 errors but I have no idea what these errors mean and how to fix them. If anyone could have a look at the attached photos and help me fix the crashes it would be greatly...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:15.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App