Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD:s again..

06 Dec 2010   #31
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

You can leave the ones in the FileRepository. Just rename the one in System32\Drivers. If there is no updated driver later than 2008, the hardware is obsolete and not designed for Win 7.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Dec 2010   #32
Nippe

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

In Creative webpage (Creative Worldwide Support > Fatal1ty USB Gaming Headset HS-1000) they say
Quote:
This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows® 7, Windows Vista® and Windows XP support for certain Creative gaming headsets.
So I think that driver should support Windows 7.. Should I try removing it and see if computer don't bluescreen tomorrow? And how can "bluescreen every first startup of the day" be caused by headset driver?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2010   #33
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

While a 2008 driver could be OK with Win 7, it is definitely not a Win 7 driver. Win 7 was not even released in 2008. The "magic" date for third party Win 7 drivers is July 13, 2009, or later. I suggest you rename this driver from .sys to .old and reboot. The driver won't load; but your device will not work. See how your system does without this driver. You can always rename it back to .sys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Dec 2010   #34
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nippe View Post
And how can "bluescreen every first startup of the day" be caused by headset driver?
It's not. Folks were trying to get you to believe that MpFilter.sys causes your crash but now have changed direction and are blaming headphones. Please follow my instructions here: https://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...ml#post1115438, uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials and then disabling Windows Defender to find the filter driver in the filesystem filter chain that is causing your crash.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2010   #35
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nippe View Post
And how can "bluescreen every first startup of the day" be caused by headset driver?
It's not. Folks were trying to get you to believe that MpFilter.sys causes your crash but now have changed direction and are blaming headphones. Please follow my instructions here: https://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...ml#post1115438, uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials and then disabling Windows Defender to find the filter driver in the filesystem filter chain that is causing your crash.
Mike, I am trying to eliminate all possible causes as a means of troubleshooting by process of elimination. For the record, I never stated MpFilter.sys was the cause of the crash. I did state that the dump blamed MpFilter.sys and then clearly stated that something else could be conflicting. A 2008 driver is definitely a potential cause of conflict. I am well aware that just because a dump blames a particular driver, that driver may not be the cause.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2010   #36
yowanvista

Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux
 
 

Quote:
Folks were trying to get you to believe that MpFilter.sys causes your crash
MpFilter.sys was involved in the crash but its impossible to determine if it was that driver the cause, MSE rarely cause BSODs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2010   #37
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nippe View Post
And how can "bluescreen every first startup of the day" be caused by headset driver?
It's not. Folks were trying to get you to believe that MpFilter.sys causes your crash but now have changed direction and are blaming headphones. Please follow my instructions here: https://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...ml#post1115438, uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials and then disabling Windows Defender to find the filter driver in the filesystem filter chain that is causing your crash.
Mike, I am trying to eliminate all possible causes as a means of troubleshooting by process of elimination. For the record, I never stated MpFilter.sys was the cause of the crash. I did state that the dump blamed MpFilter.sys and then clearly stated that something else could be conflicting. A 2008 driver is definitely a potential cause of conflict. I am well aware that just because a dump blames a particular driver, that driver may not be the cause.
Fair enough. I'm just hoping to get past the symbol block in the dump that's hiding the root cause. I'm betting on another filesystem filter.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2010   #38
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yowanvista View Post
Quote:
Folks were trying to get you to believe that MpFilter.sys causes your crash
MpFilter.sys was involved in the crash but its impossible to determine if it was that driver the cause, MSE rarely cause BSODs
What's worrying me is that the timestamp on MpFilter.sys cannot be verified. That makes me suspect possible tampering. Since MpFilter.sys is part of both MSE and built into 7 by way of Defender, maybe SFC would be a good exercise?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2010   #39
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

I think SFC is a good idea; it certainly cannot hurt anything. I always look to see what the dump analysis blames; but I do not rely on that unless it is something, that experience has taught me, causes conflicts. I agree that filters are a good potential cause of crashes. I also agree with uninstalling Defender and MSE and reinstalling MSE. A fresh install of MSE may cure the problem - unless something else was interfering.

Nippe, run SFC /SCANNOW from a command prompt - right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. At the prompt, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2010   #40
Nippe

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Wow.. Ran SFC /scannow and it found corrupted files but was unable to fix them, uploading report cause it looks pretty bad :/

Oh, and noticed it ain't "first boot of the day".. If I leave computer without power for about 2 or more hours it crashes after next startup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD:s again..




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App