Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.

Windows 7: Crashes during heavy gaming loads, no BSOD

24 Jan 2011   #11

Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux

Use OCCT to check your components including your PSU
It will check your system stability and report any errors with hardware
OCCT (OverClock Checking Tool) 3.0.0 download from

My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2011   #12


Haven't been able to change heatsink yet. Will come to that friday when i have time, will also upgrade cooling with sidemounted fan. However OCCT runs nicely on CPU test but crashes on PSU and GPU, in a matter of minutes.
GPU: MEMTEST is unavailable (?). Error message said something about couldn't recognize memory, unfortunately I can't get the program to display the error message again. Will try a reinstall of OCCT later.

I'm guessing this could have something to do with the amount of heat generated during these tests?

All help so far is greatly appreciated as i have little or no knowledge of this subject myself.

I'm attaching files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2011   #13

Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux

However OCCT runs nicely on CPU test but crashes on PSU and GPU, in a matter of minutes
Most probably one of these is the culprit(most probably the PSU), take out that GPU and try to replicate the same issue in another PC
As for the PSU, check the cables for any defects

Your heatsink could be generating too much heat
My System SpecsSystem Spec

30 Jan 2011   #14


As i understands it the PSU test stresses most components on the motherboard. So my vote is on the GPU. Especially since I have recently discovered that the D601LED is lit at all times, wich indicates critical core power. This is apparently a common issue on 4870's across a range of PSUs and components. The problem is related to overheating of the voltage regulators. GPU-Z detects the following VDDC phase temps: 55C, 57C, 70C and 57C.

The cards is hot by default but 70C idle seems very high. I'm going to try upgrading the fan on Accelero S1 r2 GPU cooler to a more high-revving one, there is already adequate cooling in the form of a large copper heatsink on the voltage regulators beneath the fan and heatsink. I'm also going to try with another graphics card just to make sure, but if this doesn't work I'll throw in the towel and buy a new graphics card, 5770.

Thanks for your help and if you have any more pro-tips I'd be happy to hear them.


Best Regards, Johan
My System SpecsSystem Spec

 Crashes during heavy gaming loads, no BSOD

Thread Tools

Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD while gaming/under heavy load
Hello everyone, For the past few months, I've been getting BSOD mostly while playing various games. The past couple of days, I have been able reliably trigger BSOD while playing SW:Battlefront. The problem is getting worse--I've been able to play SW:B for hours with no issues in past months, but...
BSOD Help and Support
Random BSOD during heavy gaming
I get Random BSOD when i play games like Far Cry 4, H1Z1(Alpha so might be game bugs), Arma 3. They can occour from anything between 5 min into playing and 8 hours into playing. It doesn't happend when on standby or low use activities like web-browsing or watching youtube/netflix. I suspect it...
BSOD Help and Support
Crashes under heavy loads, games and videos.
Hello, Last year I had crashes during games and benchmarks of the GPU(Furmark). After about half an hour of playing games the computer just restarted. It was a faulty PSU that I changed and all worked fine. Two weeks ago the problems started again: It started with the screen turning...
Hardware & Devices
BlackSOD 256 124 Hardware problem. Usually under heavy loads.
Hello, I have been having Black Screens of Death starting about 6 months ago. These BSOD 95% of the time occur when under heavier loads such as World of Warcraft + a few other heavy loads. The other 5% is just browsing. It mainly started when I would boot up my computer and see American Mega Trends...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD from idle desktop to heavy gaming
Hi Recently purchased a computer, fully installed windows 7 + all the updates and drivers for my hardware, everything is up-to-date. I am getting BSOD all over the place, i have tried the following memtest chkdsk deleted partition reinstalled windows
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36.
Twitter Facebook Google+