Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Graphics Card Cause Multiple Blue Screen Errors?

15 Feb 2011   #1
Eblim

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Graphics Card Cause Multiple Blue Screen Errors?

I have been getting multiple blue screen errors and I am about 80% sure that it's the graphics cards. I get these blue screens at complete random. Random such as completely idle on desktop with nothing running, restarting computer, putting computer to sleep, shutting it down, while play a game, etc.

A few errors I can remember are stop errors:

-0x000000a
-0x00000019
-0x000000D1
-0x000000D7

And many more. I was told that it was most likely my graphics card driver, which it's not considering I'm using the computer with only my integrated graphics card now.

But how come when my graphics card is installed, my computer still crashes regardless of have my integrated graphics card?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Feb 2011   #2
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Please refer to the instructions here
https://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html
and post back once you've got that handled

This will allow us to put some reason to your 'randomness'
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2011   #3
thefabe

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

If at all possible you could try a different card and see if you still get the BSOD. Maybe borrow a friends or something.
Fabe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Feb 2011   #4
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Eblim View Post
I was told that it was most likely my graphics card driver, which it's not considering I'm using the computer with only my integrated graphics card now.

But how come when my graphics card is installed, my computer still crashes regardless of have my integrated graphics card?
Even if you are using the integrated card, Windows will most likely still be detecting the other one and installing drivers for it.

The only way to eliminate the card as a cause would be to ensure the drivers are uninstalled as well as physically removing the card.

I'd also follow Maguscreed suggestion of posting the info to see if it points to a common cause.

The amount of different crashes could be potentially be caused by a number of different issues: ie Bad driver, application issue, faulty card, faulty memory, faulty PSU etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #5
Eblim

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I'm using a NVIDIA 9800 GT (1GB GDDR3). I called Microsoft many times and they repeatedly told me it's a major graphics card failure (90% probability of Video Card, 10% Other). I used this video card on Windows Vista Home Premium x64 before I upgraded to Windows 7 and these stop errors started occuring after I upgraded to Windows 7. I ordered an EVGA GeForce 460 GTX (1GB GDDR5). It will be shipped to me by Tuesday. I would love to get back here with the results and possibly help others that may be having this problem, as from my experience, it's extremely frustrating. If problem persists, I will report back here and call Microsoft as soon as possible for more assistance.

smarteyeball, thanks for your reply. This problem occurs even without any drivers installed, meaning after I did a clean install of Windows 7, the stop error still occurs. I have been working on this issue for a few months now. I do not easily give up. I have tried everything that doesn't require me to empty my wallet. Even if this new graphics card doesn't solve my problem as I'm highly hoping it to, it's a good investment for me to enjoy a higher-end video experience. However, may not be able to enjoy it with a goofy computer.

I'm glad you're all willing to help me. Therefore, I thank you.

Eblim.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #6
smarteyeball

 
 

A 460 should give you a noticeable improvement, even at your screens resolution. Fingers crossed that it was your card causing all the problems.


However, if after installing the new card you still experience multiple/random crashes, the following are just a few potential causes:
  • Driver / software related (although the amount of different errors tends to point to hardware)

    Memory errors (either faulty RAM module or motherboard)

    PSU is faulty

My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2011   #7
Eblim

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I just installed the new graphics card and I reinstalled the NVIDIA drivers. The problem of the multiple stop errors on blue screen crash still occurs. I know for a fact that it's not my RAM. It's a software issue and it's something that comes with Windows 7 when it's first installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2011   #8
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

If that's the case I would contact gateway about compatibility for your system.
The core windows files should be stable. If an entire gateway product line was affected by something in windows 7, I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it by now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2011   #9
Eblim

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

My computer was working as it should in Windows Vista Home Premium x64 just before I upgraded. What a mistake I made. I can't contact Gateway as my product warranty expired November 17th, 2009. You guys and Microsoft is the best I have for assistance and I do appreciate that anyone is willing to help me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2011   #10
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

We really need dump files from you if you are willing to pursue this. It's the only way we'll be able to dig down to what's really causing it. I appreciate the effort you've gone to in order to relay the error messages to us, but we really need the dump files. If you don't know how to find them, clicking on the picture under my post will take you to a thread on what you need to do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Graphics Card Cause Multiple Blue Screen Errors?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Blue screen graphics card can't even get to windows.
Ok so I'm on a iPad just for this so any typos forgive me please By the way it said something about drivers and stuff and dll files I reinstalled the graphics card driver completely and the card I switched to was 9800gt nvidia from a 6970 amd Ok so my computer crashed with blue screen so I...
Graphic Cards
Blue Screen - Graphics Card Possibly Related?
This has happened several times in the past few days. I fear my graphics card might need replacing? I've attached the error message below. when i login to play games i can play for like 10mins then the screen goes black and the computer restarts, this doesn't happen all the time sometimes i can...
Graphic Cards
BSOD no Errors or blue screen - Playing High End Graphics games
Posted on Tom's Hardware : Hardware News, Tests and Reviews Also. Event viewer: ID 41 Kernel Power Error: CUSTOM_ERROR A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. No blue screen - just a blank screen Hi there, I tried to fix this issue i have...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD random blue screen different errors, one was multiple irp
dump is included, not sure which issue to start with. it seems to have happened since windows did an update. also I get windows explorer crashed and restarts alot too
BSOD Help and Support
Blue Screen - Graphics Card Possibly Related?
This has happened several times in the past few days. I fear my graphics card might need replacing? I've attached the error message below. I logged in to play World of Warcraft and after a explosion of lines and abnormal colors, the screen went blank and then a blue screen showed up. Upon...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:39.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App