Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Black screen at start up, can't access drives

26 Mar 2011   #21
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

can you post a DIR of c:\ please?
Open cmd.exe from task manager
c:
cd \
dir /a > out.txt
copy out.txt to a device you can use to post it's contents


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Mar 2011   #22
pantabulosin

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

the command line said "Acces denied"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #23
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Perhaps you should start looking into something like my tutorial here: Install Windows 7 FAST without a DVD or USB device

That will allow you to create a new OS partition and install a fresh copy of Windows 7 quickly without impacting your existing installation or any of your user files. You can then decide if that's working well enough to make it your primary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Mar 2011   #24
pantabulosin

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
can you post a DIR of c:\ please?
Open cmd.exe from task manager
c:
cd \
dir /a > out.txt
copy out.txt to a device you can use to post it's contents

Ok, I did not want to try the FAST method because I didn't know how to legally find an ISO of a Windows 7 disk, so I tried DIR again. This time, however, I tried to copy the output from the console and paste it into google docs so you could see it. I'm writing my steps here in case others read this thread.

dir C:\ /a

right click on the console->choose mark
left click and hold as if you were to choose multiple icons and create a box around the contens you want copied
Left click on the console (other things may work, that one just did the trick for me)
Open a google docs document and press ctrl+V

At any rate, here's DIR for C:\ /a

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ac/edit?hl=en#

I think it didn't work last time because I can't use most programs right now, so whatever program is called to save the output into .txt killed the previous idea.I don't know if this is of any use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #25
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pantabulosin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
can you post a DIR of c:\ please?
Open cmd.exe from task manager
c:
cd \
dir /a > out.txt
copy out.txt to a device you can use to post it's contents

Ok, I did not want to try the FAST method because I didn't know how to legally find an ISO of a Windows 7 disk, so I tried DIR again. This time, however, I tried to copy the output from the console and paste it into google docs so you could see it. I'm writing my steps here in case others read this thread.

dir C:\ /a

right click on the console->choose mark
left click and hold as if you were to choose multiple icons and create a box around the contens you want copied
Left click on the console (other things may work, that one just did the trick for me)
Open a google docs document and press ctrl+V

At any rate, here's DIR for C:\ /a

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ac/edit?hl=en#

I think it didn't work last time because I can't use most programs right now, so whatever program is called to save the output into .txt killed the previous idea.I don't know if this is of any use.
You have two Windows directories. cd win and press the tab key and enter. Then try to cd into SysWOW64. If that works then that's your real Windows folder. If not cd.. and then cd win and press tab TWICE and enter. Then cd into SysWOW64.

Knowing how to get to your real Windows folder you can re-register the DLLs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #26
pantabulosin

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post

You have two Windows directories. cd win and press the tab key and enter. Then try to cd into SysWOW64. If that works then that's your real Windows folder. If not cd.. and then cd win and press tab TWICE and enter. Then cd into SysWOW64.

Knowing how to get to your real Windows folder you can re-register the DLLs
Apparently, at least part of my problem is that I don't have a SysWOW64 folder.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...sKY/edit?hl=en

it may still be in another directory if whatever hit me was nice, or maybe it was renamed or something, I'll look for it in Ubuntu and get back to you.

Thanks for replying once again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #27
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pantabulosin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post

You have two Windows directories. cd win and press the tab key and enter. Then try to cd into SysWOW64. If that works then that's your real Windows folder. If not cd.. and then cd win and press tab TWICE and enter. Then cd into SysWOW64.

Knowing how to get to your real Windows folder you can re-register the DLLs
Apparently, at least part of my problem is that I don't have a SysWOW64 folder.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...sKY/edit?hl=en

it may still be in another directory if whatever hit me was nice, or maybe it was renamed or something, I'll look for it in Ubuntu and get back to you.

Thanks for replying once again.
And we're absolutely sure that Windows 7 64-bit is installed and not that the computer is advertised as 64-bit capable? The %windir% environment variable SHOULD point the REAL windows directory (we hope) so let's open cmd again and

cd %windir%\system32
for %a in (*.dll) do regsvr32.exe /s "%a"

Theoretically, since Windows sets %windir% it should be pointing to the correct Windows directory.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #28
pantabulosin

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post

And we're absolutely sure that Windows 7 64-bit is installed and not that the computer is advertised as 64-bit capable? The %windir% environment variable SHOULD point the REAL windows directory (we hope) so let's open cmd again and

cd %windir%\system32
for %a in (*.dll) do regsvr32.exe /s "%a"

Theoretically, since Windows sets %windir% it should be pointing to the correct Windows directory.
Ok, it turns out that the Opera Browser is also a file browser, so I looked SysWOW 64 and it's on the "Windows " folder, with an addded space. Here's all that in the "windows " folder, with SysWOW64 highlighted in yellow.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Fo/edit?hl=en#

as for the %windir% thing. I couldn't tell if it did anything. Here's the output as I tried on the Windows folder and the "Windows " folder.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...us/edit?hl=en#

As an aside, I can open the SoftMaker Office Suite 2008, which is stored in C:/Program Files (x86)/ . I can also open documents (not XML microsoft office format, but .odf, .txt and I would imagine 97-2003 MS Office formats) I can also send files to myself via email, but I can't download them from my browser. I don't know if I could do this before trying all of this, but at least I know that some applications can still read and write to my C: drive. Now I wonder, could I edit any files using this office suite to repair whatever damage was done?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #29
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pantabulosin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post

And we're absolutely sure that Windows 7 64-bit is installed and not that the computer is advertised as 64-bit capable? The %windir% environment variable SHOULD point the REAL windows directory (we hope) so let's open cmd again and

cd %windir%\system32
for %a in (*.dll) do regsvr32.exe /s "%a"

Theoretically, since Windows sets %windir% it should be pointing to the correct Windows directory.
Ok, it turns out that the Opera Browser is also a file browser, so I looked SysWOW 64 and it's on the "Windows " folder, with an addded space. Here's all that in the "windows " folder, with SysWOW64 highlighted in yellow.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Fo/edit?hl=en#

as for the %windir% thing. I couldn't tell if it did anything. Here's the output as I tried on the Windows folder and the "Windows " folder.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...us/edit?hl=en#

As an aside, I can open the SoftMaker Office Suite 2008, which is stored in C:/Program Files (x86)/ . I can also open documents (not XML microsoft office format, but .odf, .txt and I would imagine 97-2003 MS Office formats) I can also send files to myself via email, but I can't download them from my browser. I don't know if I could do this before trying all of this, but at least I know that some applications can still read and write to my C: drive. Now I wonder, could I edit any files using this office suite to repair whatever damage was done?
Google tells me I don't have access to the second link. Since you've found syswow64 we need to re-reg in both c:\windows_\system32 and c:\windows_\syswow64_
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #30
pantabulosin

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

oops. My bad. Here's the new link

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Wus/edit?hl=en

I will re register the DLLs and get back to this thread to post my results. Sadly, It'll have to wait for now. I'll edit this post when I'm done.

Thanks so much for helping me. I really appreciate it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Black screen at start up, can't access drives




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Unable to start - black screen or empty blue screen w cursor??
Hello, My laptop will not boot. I end up with an empty black screen or a blue screen with no icons, just a cursor. I get choices for 'normal startup' or ' repair' but not safe mode. Any help appreciated.
General Discussion
Acer won't start, Black screen / Windows failed to start
Hi, Can someone please help me? I'm a first-time forum user :o I've got an Acer Aspire laptop here that has decided to stop loading/starting up. When I turn the power button on: - I can see the Acer logo screen (and also get into setup if I press F2) - The cursor (_) blinks once or twice...
General Discussion
Black screen on start up
Black screen with curser in center. Without clicking the mouse, dragging the mouse draws a blue box. Acts like the left click button is stuck. Control/alt/delete-task manager has Skype program running and some times another program. If I end all tasks, computer begins operating normally. Tried...
Performance & Maintenance
Black screen after windows start up doesn't go to login screen
Hi I would really appreciate any advice i've been trying to fix for four hours without any luck. I have an Acer aspire 5732Z. I turn my laptop on and it shows the starting windows screen then just goes to a black screen with a cursor. I tried to do systems restore but it said that i did not...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 Black Screen (Can't access desktop)
Hi, I currently have a Macbook Pro and i have snow leopard and sometime ago I installed Windows 7 on to it. My windows 7 is genuine and when it keeped asking me to validate or verify it, I never bothered to. And few weeks later I went on the the Windows 7 side and all it came up with was a Black...
General Discussion
Black screen after start-up
Windows 7 used to work just fine on my HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop, until a few weeks ago suddenly it decided to go into black screen mode whenever I start up. The "windows is starting" icon shows, then it goes black... i hear the little jingle, but the screen is still dead. I have tried all the...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App